Beginners and Beyond

race bandits (Read 136 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

The other day I was talking to a kid I work with and he fully admitted to banditing races when he was younger (he's 22). I was disgusted. I guess that's why he went to Panera Bread at mile 11 of a local HM a few years ago and "didn't finish" the race. Douchebag.

Village people

Well he was a Masshole then.

They're all Massholes! J/K.

Docket_Rocket

I would have passed them, while cursing and mumbling.  The finger might be involved.  If you are doing that, make sure you're not interrupting others' races.

One local race director listed a bandit's 11 k time in the results, but printed in bold type beside his name - BANDIT. 

In a marathon last week, about 1/2 mile into the race, we were transitioning from a wide road onto a path that was wide enough for about 3 or 4 people, when one of the runners was joined by two friends.

They jumped right in front of a pack of about 10 of us and affected our transition and pace, taking up the entire path as they said their hello's, giggled, adjusted earbuds, headbands, etc. as we all tried to pick our way around them without having to step into the rain soaked grass.

I don't know if they were running the entire distance but I kind of doubt it.  It was an open course so they had a right to be there I guess, but man, I wish they had shown a little respect for those of us who trained and paid to run the race.

And then there's the guy following his wife on a bike for the entire distance.  But not with her.  He's way behind, then way ahead, then back, then the other way, then taking her jacket, and so on and so on...........

Ok biker guy, I understand you've run a marathon before, and you think that gives you the right to weave in and out of our race today.......

This one guy must have passed me going each direction about 15 times last week.  That can be very annoying.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

That is funny!

Then there was the bandit at Boston that ran beside me from Ashland to Framingham. Most people might not have recognized him for a bandit because he did have a number that was very similar in design to what was used at Boston that year. How did I quickly realize he was a bandit? His number was the same as mine!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

One local race director listed a bandit's 11 k time in the results, but printed in bold type beside his name - BANDIT.

If I was the race director, I would have added 2 hours to the bandit's finishing time before posting the results.Evil

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

How did the RD know the bandit's name?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

I've always thought that even among bandits actually crossing the finish line was considered bad form.

^ This.

Something witty

RSX

I've always thought that even among bandits actually crossing the finish line was considered bad form.

3,000 people a year can't be wrong. In 2000 the Boston Globe had a camera at the Boston Marathon finish line. Wish I still had those pictures.

MrNamtor

Then there was the bandit at Boston that ran beside me from Ashland to Framingham. Most people might not have recognized him for a bandit because he did have a number that was very similar in design to what was used at Boston that year. How did I quickly realize he was a bandit? His number was the same as mine!

wasn't that a twilight zone episode?

RSX

In the end which one was the bandit?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was surreal. I also think that was the race I set my all-time PB for the marathon. Had to be sure I finished ahead of him.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.