Beginners and Beyond

Halloween TUESDailies (Read 42 times)

Good morning Runners, Happy Halloween!

Chilly out there this morning but at least no rain. Got an easy 6mi in.

Any of you use that KT tape? I've been having some issues with my R knee for a couple weeks. I believe its being caused by a weak glute causing my knee to drop inwards a bit. I'm not really sure whats wrong with the knee (touch of ITB, runners knee? tendonitis?) but I believe this is the underlying problem. Seems to be a little sore where the quad connects to the knee? Ive started doing some glute/hip strength work but I don't believe it will make a difference for my race in 2 weeks. I have no pain while running but after hard efforts (long progressions, tempos) it will be fairly sore for a couple days. I was thinking of trying to tape it somehow for the race and was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts on this.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Coastal

This doesn't necessarily address your question regarding KT tape, but this site has some good info to help figure it out.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/symptom-checker/knee-pain-symptoms

OFR and Docket have been very helpful with my knee issues.

Cyberic

Sorry about KT tape. Never used it.

Ran 6 x (2min / 2min) commuting to work this morning. In the wind. Got it done.

delicate flower

Happy Halloween!  I am in training and will not be eating any candy today.  I've been very good the past five weeks.  I did "treat" myself to a 60 minute track workout this morning:

10 minute warm up

20 minutes tempo

10 minutes easy

15 minutes tempo

5 minutes easy

6:40 avg pace on those tempos, which I am very happy about.  8.6 miles total at 6:58 avg pace.  Solid!  I did a 10-ish minute cooldown on top of that to get me to 10 miles for the run.  I may swim after work...I've got my gear.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 with 8 X 100m tonight.  Probably on the TM since I have to run late tonight.

Jay, I used a lot of RockTape when I tore my meniscus.  Taping should depend on what you have.  If you think the knee is going inwards maybe taping for patella tracking for that side might help?  If around the quad, check the taping for runner's knee and see if it helps.  Google the videos, they are really helpful.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Sorry about KT tape. Never used it.

+1

Which is odd, considering the plethora of injuries I've had since taking up this ridiculous hobby that I love.

bluerun

Super B****

7.25 on the AlterG.

Jay -- I've used Rocktape a lot (KT cotton is useless, KT Pro gives me a rash), never had it help for ITBS, but for other knee issues, it sometimes did make a little bit of a difference.  I play around with different applications depending on where it hurts.  For something like you're describing, I'd probably start with one that looks similar to this and then adjust as needed.

Related image

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I am in training and will not be eating any candy today. 

OK, who hacked into Baboon's account?

9 miles in long sleeves for the first time this season.

Finished the month with 215, which I'm pretty sure is my highest ever for a month that had a marathon in it.

Dave

KCRuns

Good morning!

JayB, I used Rocktape on my foot/ankle earlier this year and think it helped.  Their website has some good videos that show you how to apply it for various injuries/problem areas.

Ran to work today with my new backpack Smile  Loved the convenience of being able to carry what I forgot to leave at work, but running with a backpack is going to take some adjustment.  I was slower than usual with the backpack, and I did take a few walk breaks to keep the hip happy, trying to ease back into it.  Got 4.6 miles.  There's a chance DH will pick me up at work to run some errands, but if he doesn't, then I will run home for another 3.

Docket_Rocket

What?  No candy?

I can't wait to get to the office after court to eat candy corn...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I barely made it out of bed this morning, but I got to the gym. I wanted to do legs and glutes today but sadly the squat rack was being hogged so.... I made it Biceps, Triceps and Chest today.... hopefully tomorrow I can get in there.

No automatic alt text available.

Then I got home, ate something and then got dressed for the cold ass run that Jetta and I were about to do. 36 degrees...... my ass was a popsicle by the time we finished the 6.4 miles...........

No automatic alt text available.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

zzyzx

Big lifting day yesterday and a good day on the bike for a change.

Today, not so much. I did lat pulldown, pec fly, and standing calf but I wasn't feeling the elliptical at all. Finally after 24 minutes, I actually used the rule that I'm allowed to pull the ripcord then if I feel like I need to. I hate it when I do that, but 24 minutes (2.39 miles cross country setting) is still better than 0.

Docket_Rocket

So sleepy today!  Power went down at 11pm last night (I assume on purpose to fix something) and came back in the wee hours of the morning with all the bedroom lights on.  Thanks for waking me up!  At least it was cool last night instead of last time they took away the power post Hurricane Irma when it was 92F inside the house.  Anyway, I already had one cup of Starbucks, but what I really need is the Cuban coffee shot that wakes up the dead.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

Guys!!  Something I've spent YEARS wishing for actually became a real thing... and I am so, so, SO glad I didn't buy a new Garmin yet.

Because now I can get this.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

oldfartrunner

Morning Runners,

Thinking on 4-5 later.

Jay: No, never used it.  Imbalances take awhile to fix. If you go to a PT, they might be able to pinpoint what to work on. For my knee problems it is step ups to a medium (12") step with 15 lb. dumb bells, 3 times a week-front and side, and some single leg squats, that seem to help. I do one set of 30 second wall chair while I'm doing my hand grips, and 20 regular squats as part of my dynamic warmup. For knee problems, it is common to strengthen/stretch the quads and now they are saying work on the hips, and get some more range of motion there.

Could be you are over striding when running faster too. Most of us have tight hip flexors and this limits our ability to keep a neutral pelvis when running. We then tend to reach out with the leading leg. This is the classic "sitting in the bucket or chair", position.

This is a good picture that shows what I'm talking about- but disregard the dig to heel striking. Excessive heel striking can be a problem and comes most likely from a tilted pelvis, bending at the waist, and over striding-like the picture. But slight is not a problem and the majority of runners heel strike. Most of us don't have perfect form, but it's something to be in touch with, and we can improve some with work.

If you tighten your butt muscles and push your junk forward, you get the idea of what it feels like to have a neutral pelvis-like doing a bridge. That is why bridges are good for runners, and keeping the hip flexors stretched out.

http://www.triathlete.com/2015/08/training/runners-knee-treatment-recovery-and-exercises_72793

Image result for proper running form images