Beginners and Beyond

Where Does Your Race Money Go To? (Read 128 times)

Daves_Not_Here

Just a question, because I read in the local news about this weekend's latest HM...Urban Cow. I read they had a record turnout and that they raised $50,000 dollars to sponsor youth sports in the neighborhoods of Elk Grove, Carmichael, and Granite Bay. Umm...ferrealz?

I mean, these neighborhoods are relatively affluent with median incomes $50,000 and above, especially Granite Bay with their estates on the shores of Folsom Lake. Like they need the charity? WTF????

What about South Sac? What about Natomas? What about the plethora of poor neighborhoods who could really use an infusion of cash to help kids?

When I ran the Running With The Bears last month, I knew the funds were going to help foster children and the program(s) that help them I'll run that one again (already signed up). I will never give my money to Urban Cow so long as the proceeds are going to affluent neighborhoods. Tell me my money is going to folks who need it, and you can count me in.

Gonna have to pay close attention to this stuff.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Aside from the fact that the relatively affluent $50,000 is below the median California household income, I don't select my races based on where the money goes. I may refuse to run a race if I'm against spending money for whatever it's earmarked for, but in most cases I'm neutral or in favor of the beneficiary, if any, of the races. You may be surprised, but yes, it's not uncommon for kids in those types of neighborhoods to have to raise money to keep their sports programs going. When I coached HS track and xc in a relatively affluent school district, we had to have our own fund raisers to buy uniforms because there was no money allocated for it in the school budget. I served as an unpaid volunteer and they were lucky one of the teachers was willing to take on the responsibilities of head coach because the extra pay was so low no one else wanted to do it. I did some quick calculations and IIRC the hourly rate was less than $2.00. If you're that concerned, why don't you suggest to the race director that they share some of their proceeds with those other area programs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

If the race is priced okay, and interests me I don't have a problem running it unless I am opposed to the charity which I haven't seen yet. I am much more likely to run a charity race when I know people involved as I did the other day.

LRB

We actually have a good mix of events here that benefit all types of causes so it is never really an issue.  Even the events that are run in affluent areas benefit some type of illness or charity.

Traditional funding for youth sports here in Michigan is all but nonexistent, forcing organizers to look to other, non-traditional means for funding.  Road races would actually be a good idea what with its burgeoning popularity.

I actually paid out of pocket for my daughter to participate in high school cheer-leading, something that had long been a part of the general fund, but state cuts to educational spending has made such funding impractical.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Since 2012:

65 Roses (Cystic Fibrosis) - one of the local RD's does a lot of races where they get some of the funds.

Atlanta's Finest contributes to the one of the Police charities (not sure which)

Wounded Warrior project

A Brest cancer event. Not a Komen one, but lots of pink there.

Coming up:

Epilepsy (not sure which charity specifically)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TJoseph

Maybe I am being selfish, but usually I run a race for my personal enjoyment and not for the charity they represent.  I almost always feel like I got my money's worth.  I have gotten car washes from students raising money for programs at middle class high schools and have bought cookies from girl scouts from middle class families walking through my middle class neighborhood.   When I do donate money to charity for nothing in return, I am more discriminating about the cause.  I did feel a little burned by the Red Cross when they kept about a third of the Sandy relief money, $110 million, and didn't spend it on the victims.

delicate flower

Maybe I am being selfish, but usually I run a race for my personal enjoyment and not for the charity they represent. 

Yeah, I don't care much either.  If some of the money goes to a good cause, all the better.  It makes no difference to me though when choosing a race.

<3

aponi

never runs the tangents

I've always wondered how much of the race fee actually gets to the charity. I think that magazine over there did a story about it once, but I don't remember the breakdown on it. Maybe some RD could clear it up. Plus there is a difference between a for-profit race and a charity one.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

TJoseph

On a related note, I will be up in the Sacramento area (Rancho Cordova) for Thanksgiving.  I plan to run a turkey trot while I am there if my achilles cooperates.  I have run both the Running to Feed The Hungry race and the Folsom Turkey Trot in the past and preferred the smaller Folsom race.  Both were fun though and I think both races give money to local food banks.  I am waiting to hear from my brother if he can run it with me and which race he prefers.

LRB

Maybe I am being selfish...

Nah, that is pretty normal.  For me, it primarily comes down to the course (flat, hills, etc.) and where the event falls on my racing calendar.  Who or what charity they support if any is secondary.

TakeAHike

Yeah, I usually just run the races I want to run no matter who the money goes to.  There are a few races I will run solely to support a specific cause, but those are the exception rather than the rule.  I would actually prefer to keep my racing and charitable giving separate, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

MothAudio

I base my decision on which races to run from a participant's POV, not what charity they support. As long as they have the essentials down [accurate, safe well-marked course @ mile markers] and deliver on pre-race expectations that's how I grade an event. I'm guessing members of the race committee had ties to those communities. I give them credit for giving back to the community and the grass roots of the sport rather than ding them for which schools they chose to benefit.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

Same as others. I'm buying a product, which is a race. I do make donations, but I make them directly to the organisations of my choice. If a race gives to a charity, it's their business and I am not opposed to it, unless I'm really opposed to it...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I do make donations, but I make them directly to the organisations of my choice.

I actually did that once.  I cannot remember which organization it was for but I gave an extra 5 bucks during online registration....actually, now that I think about it, I have done that a few times over the past three years.

Unless someone's race is the 1st Annual People for Fracking and Barbequed Cats 5K, I'll go.  If they can get the small details of a successful event right, that's even better.