Beginners and Beyond

WDW Marathon RR (Late of course), my first (with pic's) (Read 116 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

My late and long overdue Disney Marathon Report - my first real marathon

Race:                              WDW Marathon

Date:                              January 13, 2013

Time:                              4:12:14

Overall Place:                2378/20733

Gender Place:               1712/10093

A/G Place:                     142/991

Background: I decided in June 2012 that I would like to run a marathon in honor of what I accomplished some 30 years ago with my Dad.  In November 1982 we ran the Philly Distance Run together, he at 53, me at 21 years.  My training consisted then of one long 15 mile run and drinking less beer at Penn State for 2 weeks.  We ran together for 20 miles at somewhere around an 11:30 pace, whereupon I told him that I could not run this slow any longer and that I had to take off.  It was a seminal moment in our lives, symbolically saying that I no longer needed him by my side and that I was ready to tackle the world and that he no longer needed to parent me.

Well I thought it would be neat to see if I could now at age 52 replicate what he went through some 30 years ago.  My wife is a huge Disney fan, so it was easy to talk her into this destination, after all we have a timeshare at Old Key West so our lodgings were paid for.  I then talked her into running the Family 5k on Friday with our 2 boys, 14 and 10.  She started the C25k program, and although she hated running then (and now), was able to finish her 1st 5k in around 38 min.

I started to train at the beginning of June, with 3 miles around my subdivision, not knowing pace or an accurate distance.  Before this I probably ran 15 times over the last 30 years even though I remained in decent shape.  Also wanted to stay in shape to keep up with my boys in lacrosse and basketball.

Stumbled across RWOL and it was from there that I learned so much about pacing, fuel, training, etc, but did not follow any particular plan for this race.  I made it all up as I went along.  Averaged 25-30 mpw with a peak week of 44 miles where I had my first and only 20 miler.  Training paces initially were 8:40 to 9:00 which was way to fast starting out (shows my ignorance).  Many of my runs were in the 8:20 range for 8 miles, however I did develop some pirformis issues in October that still linger today.  Ran a 15k in August after 10 weeks of training in 1:15Tight lippedx which indicated that I might have the ability for a sub-4, but perhaps not the fitness.

Pre-Race:

Had a fun FE at Downtown Disney with Lurch and Marymary611 the night before.  If you ever get to meet or run with either I strongly encourage you to, both quality folks.  Picture taken by Lurch and I had to stand to the side to balance the height gap.

Laid out my clothes, took an Anacin PM and was asleep by 9:30.  Alarm at 3:00am, get up and change, slip out door and head to bus stop with bagel and water.

Easy trip to Epcot on Disney Bus, although traffic was busy (OKW is less than 2 miles away), get dropped off and walk to staging area.  I asked another forumite before the race if she wanted to run together and she agreed.  Met up with her and her husband in the waiting area, chatted, visited porta potties.

Around 4:00am the announcer asks for Corals A/B to begin walking to the start (remember it’s a 5:30am gun).  Drop of stuff at bag drop, start walking to the highway.  Did I mention there must have been 800 port a potties around.  I mean they were everywhere and very short lines.  Disney is amazing at logistics.  We pee one more time, settle into coral B (even though we are all seeded in A), about 100yards behind the 4:00 pacer.  My A Goal was a sub 4:00, B Goal was sub 4:15, C Goal to finish.  Sat down and waited for about 30 minutes to pass.  My running partner was nervous and is now no longer a bush virgin, taking advantage of the good tree cover to spread some deer repelant.

Race time temperature was 64 degrees and 100% humidity, no need for throw away clothes.  Such temperatures worried me, the pacers at the expo said to add 10 min to your expected time for weather alone.  It was warm needless to say.

Race

It was cool having Bill Rodgers, Jeff Galloway and Frank Shorter at the start, 2 of my running heros.  On the button fireworks are set off (lots of them) and the race is on.  Takes just about 8 minutes between corals and we are off the starting line.

Miles 1-5: 9:10, 8:48, 8:52, 8:52, 10:15

Easy miles along the main drive, 4 lane road, level and not too much zig zagging.  Its dark and hot, and we cruise along chatting about work and ourselves, this was a fun section.  Was not super easy but felt fine.  Mile 5 was a potty stop for my RP who opted to use the real lavatories at the ticket and transportation center.  She told me I could keep going and race on my own but no, I wanted to run down Main Street with someone to share the memory with.  Several high school bands passed, Disney characters and lots of visual stuff to keep us occupied although it was still dark outside.  Take our first water and powerade at mile 5, it was hot and it wasn’t going to get any cooler.

Miles 6-10: 9:22, 9:08, 9:04, 9:10, 8:58

Mile 6 is the trip through the Castle, it was magnificent.  Being up front from the start we seemed to avoid the bunching up of folks trying to get a picture, there were no stoppages although my photos look like crap.  I have still yet to learn how to smile while running and breathing properly - yes I am a dork (check out the cheezy grin, lol).

Mile 7 is past the Grand Floridian, lots of fan support and hand made signs, I in fact never saw the resort rather was enjoying the boost from the early risers.  Mile 8 was in the Richard Petty Experience, which was cool with nearly 50 classic cars on the banked track to look at as we ran around the interior.  I remarked to my RP how used to drive some of the cars which are now considered classic and on display; where upon I learn that she is much younger than me, lol.  Oh well, we all can be humbled at times.  Up the track and back on the road, we remark that we are close to 4:00 hour pace time although we can no longer see the 4 hour bunny.  Walked the water stop so I did not snort any powerade, took my first gel at mile 9 since I was already one hour+ into this journey.

Miles 11-15: 9:05, 9:22, 9:17, 9:02, 8:57

This is the trip past the infamous sewer treatment plant.  Never smelled a thing, long flat stretch with characters entertaining us.  Sun starting to rise and daylight appears.  Enter Animal Kingdom and it’s a pretty quick trip inside, path narrows but plenty of room.  No time to stop for rides, still on 4:00 hour pace.

Leave park and hit the half way point right at 2:01:50 although at this point we both are starting to realize that a sub-4 is not gonna happen.  My RP started to feel some IT pain and was beginning to struggle.  She did not want to hold me back although I wanted us both to push on.  Graciously we decided to split, and with a brief handshake and good luck to each other, I was off on my own for the 2nd half.  Pace picked back up and headed onto the dreaded Osceola Parkway.  It is a 3 mile straightaway with one large overpass, sun is now up beating on me, temps are in the mid 60's with 100% humidity still.

Miles 16-20: 9:14, 9:07, 9:20, 9:49, 10:05

Here is were the pain starts.  Funniest story happened to me, just after mile 16 the runners on the way back are on the other side of the road.  I could feel the pain hitting me although I had yet to slow down.  Just on the other side of the street and not visible were the Army characters from Toy Story and I can hear them on their speakers - "Come on runners, you can get up that hill, only 5 miles to go, get on it soldier!!!!"  Now imagine that in the drill sergeant barking voice so common in the movie.  I said to myself that I sooooo wanted to be on that side of the road as they only had 5 miles to go — I still had 9+...  ughhh.  Mile 19 is around the Atlanta Braves minor league stadium on the warning track.  Who knew that surface was red shale chips - far less traction.  This is where my wheels started to come off - I really wanted to walk.  At this point I was playing the mental game - ok George, get to the 20 mile marker and then you can walk 100 yards - no George, if you walk you won’t want to run again - just get to the 21 mile mark, then you can walk 100 yards.  I never walked in this race other than the water stops but it was hard, really hard.  Ate a banana at mile 19, never knew one could eat during a race (or for that matter that they gave food out during a race).  Took my 2nd salt packet at mile 21 based on the tip from the FE as in this heat one could cramp due to salt loss despite taking adequate fluids (thanks Brett).

Miles 21-25: 10:01, 10:15, 10:41, 10:16, 10:16

Heading into Hollywood Studios, pass by Wreck-It Ralph and he is open for a photo op.  Didn’t stop cause I knew I would not keep going.  They were handing out Nestle crackle mini’s here - again I never knew one could eat candy/they give out such stuff during a race.  Remarked to the volunteer that this is really, really hard.  Mile 23 was my slowest of the course, it is uphill along the Stunt Track area, and then onto New York Avenue and Commissary Row heading to the main Boulevard in Studios.  Paying customers were now in the park and they were nice, giving a spectator boost.  Sun out and it’s still Hot in the 70's.  Loved the run through Boardwalk and Beach Club, tried to run the tangents and get this thing over with as soon as possible.

Miles 26-26.54: 10:36, 9:37

Last water stop at mile 25 and heading into Epcot.  Same spot as the 5k entering the countries, except this time I can see the big golf ball and was really wishing this race would be over - only I still had over a mile to go.  Passing the USA in Epcot I still wanted to walk, and was really thirsty even though the last stop was less than 1 mile ago.  I was trying to maintain form (ehhh....what form, lol) and suffer the last mile (only 10 minutes left George - you can make it).

Right at mile 26 Disney has the gospel choir singing in full robes to push you to the end - I barely managed a smile (when everyone else in their photo’s looks so happy).  Turn the corner to see the finish line and hear my DW and kids shout out.  My 10 year old manages to take about 4 pictures, all from behind and they have lots of crowd heads in them (total fail).  I slow down a bit just before the timing mat to let others pass, after all isn’t a good finisher photo one of the most important things in your first marathon?  Saunter over to the middle and cross the line, walk to medal lady.  I think I did well in running tangents adding only 0.3 miles to the total.  Disney gives you a small bag which is nice cause then I grabbed 3 powerade bottles and headed to the family area as one hot, sweaty, stinky mess.

Thoughts and Observations

This was my first marathon and I loved it, just loved it.  Disney has its haters, but for me being part of a large crowd gave me support, and being constantly around other runners helped.  Support during this race is amazing, there must have been 12-15 water stops, food, gels, candy, first aid, directional help, etc.  I never got lost, never had a problem getting anywhere, never felt crowded or rushed.  Given my training base, I was not sure I could have ran a sub-4, but clearly the weather made that impossible.  I will never forget running down Main Street with my RP, never forget the pain I endured for 9 miles, never forget the satisfaction of completing my first marathon.  Would I do a Disney again - yes.  Next year, probably not.  Will I run another full - yes, without question.  Having an FE is really fun, getting to meet other runners from around the Country.  Running your first with someone else is also very helpful for pacing and to keep a check on each other, encourage each other.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the race!  I second the chance to meet Lurch and Mary and they are both awesome people!  Is that AmiK?  So awesome that you got to run with her for part of the race.

Glad to see you had fun notwithstanding.  Congrats again.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

The pic before last says it all, wow!  Well, you did finish so there is that, and better than the national average of 4:30.

For some of us, the first is a learning experience, which I am sure you learned a lot!

happylily

Congratulations, marathoner! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the experience. You finished with some great rankings for a first marathon, bravo! And so cool that you got to FE with these fun people (I want to meet Mary!). Thanks for the great pics!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ball of Fury

George,

Great race report and I think you did great!  It was very nice running with you!  And hey, you did better than me Wink!  I am a little annoyed that some of your race pics are better pics of me than all of mine!  If you want to come over to Indy in November, I would be happy to run my 2nd marathon with you as well...hopefully, my ITB will behave and it won't be a zillion degrees!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

slowrunningjulie

Great job! I think you did very well, and you hit your B goal for a first marathon with hot weather. Nice report too - great pics!

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Well done! Sounds like a pretty typical first marathon story (a lot like mine, anyway...I also had a somewhat similar "training" plan).

Good luck on many more!

Dave

Ms Chenandler Bong

George,

Great race report and I think you did great!  It was very nice running with you!  And hey, you did better than me Wink!  I am a little annoyed that some of your race pics are better pics of me than all of mine!  If you want to come over to Indy in November, I would be happy to run my 2nd marathon with you as well...hopefully, my ITB will behave and it won't be a zillion degrees!

I'll be running Monumental as well!  We can have a fun FE!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Ms Chenandler Bong

Finally!!!!  I've been waiting for this RR!

Sounds like you ran a smart race for your first full.  And your time reflected that as well.  I'm sure you'll drop that time down as you get more experience.

It was so great to meet you and Lurch for dinner that Saturday.  It was nice to talk to people who love Disney and Running as much as me.

Ms Chenandler Bong

Congratulations, marathoner! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the experience. You finished with some great rankings for a first marathon, bravo! And so cool that you got to FE with these fun people (I want to meet Mary!). Thanks for the great pics!

Come run the Monumental marathon in November!!  You can even stay at my house.  But you'd have to hang out at the finish line until I finished since you are so, so speedy!

Ball of Fury

Mary,

Would love to meet you in Nov!  We were sorry we didn't make it to the FE at WDW!

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Congrats on the race!  I second the chance to meet Lurch and Mary and they are both awesome people!  Is that AmiK?  So awesome that you got to run with her for part of the race.

Glad to see you had fun notwithstanding.  Congrats again.

Yes, I got to run with the always sassy Amik Smile

She and her DH were the perfect partners that day.  She is a good pacer, extremely dedicated, and if not for her ITB I am sure we both would have pushed each other the whole way.  Never hesitate to run with her if you can.  And her DH is a hoot, so relaxed and easy going, together they make a well balanced couple.

Docket_Rocket

I would love to run with her, except she would leave me in the dust....

Yes, I got to run with the always sassy Amik Smile

She and her DH were the perfect partners that day.  She is a good pacer, extremely dedicated, and if not for her ITB I am sure we both would have pushed each other the whole way.  Never hesitate to run with her if you can.  And her DH is a hoot, so relaxed and easy going, together they make a well balanced couple.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Aww...thanks George!  I enjoyed running with you too!  And Docket, I might leave you in the dust at the beginning, but knowing my inability to pace myself properly, you would pass me at the end while I am crying on the side of the road!

Just B.S.

What an awesome reason to run it! Our son ran his first at age 16 with his Dad. Son is now 23 and just starting to

run again. He stopped when he went away to school . I wasn't running fulls back then (2005) and really want to

run a full with all 3 of us together some day.

I hope when he is our age he will have great memories of those times with his Dad, just like you do. 

Congrats to you and sounds like overall you had  great experience! That last photo before the finish line really

shows what you were going thru and how you toughed it out to the end.

Great first marathon time and experience!

Background: I decided in June 2012 that I would like to run a marathon in honor of what I accomplished some 30 years ago with my Dad.  In November 1982 we ran the Philly Distance Run together, he at 53, me at 21 years.  My training consisted then of one long 15 mile run and drinking less beer at Penn State for 2 weeks.  We ran together for 20 miles at somewhere around an 11:30 pace, whereupon I told him that I could not run this slow any longer and that I had to take off.  It was a seminal moment in our lives, symbolically saying that I no longer needed him by my side and that I was ready to tackle the world and that he no longer needed to parent me.

Well I thought it would be neat to see if I could now at age 52 replicate what he went through some 30 years ago.