Beginners and Beyond

Ten best dog breeds for runners (Read 99 times)

Hip Redux

I knew greyhounds would be on that list.   For the record, if you attempt to take a greyhound on anything over a mile, be sure you are strong enough to carry them home. lol

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I knew greyhounds would be on that list.   For the record, if you attempt to take a greyhound on anything over a mile, be sure you are strong enough to carry them home. lol

Phil took Bloo for a 1 mile run once.  He thought she enjoyed it but next time she refused to go.  HEH.

The Mc

I've had great luck running with Border Collie mixes.  My current BC mix (Seamus) freaks out when he sees me get into my running shoes and gets super disappointed if I don't take him.  I had a German Shepherd/Malamute mix who was a greta partner November Through March/April.  The rest of the year, not so much.

Papa don't take no mess.

Strict WTF adherent

That's pretty accurate as far as my beagle is concerned. When she was younger, she was fine with anything up to about five miles but would just lay down after that and refuse to move. Now she's just old and fat.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Once Rocky (my heeler/lab mix) is fully recovered from his HW treatment which will be in about 2 weeks, I will start working him back up to 4 miles and then hopefully get him to 6-8 mile runs either on the road or trail.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have a Ridgback/ Lab mix that also goes crazy when I get my running gear on.  She is a great runner and has been out 3+ miles with me.  However, I have not taken her out in a few months, she is still a puppy and I want her to develop more before I start taking her out again.

Dad on the run.

I have Boxers which you obviously can't run in the heat of the day but during the cooler months they go with me quite a bit. I've ran my oldest as far as 7 miles and my younger one 4 miles and they both sit there and whine and push up against my legs when I go to put my running shoes on.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Molly would have made a great running partner had I started 5-10 years ago....... by the time I started running she could only handle winter runs and 3-4 miles. Cry RIP ol' girl.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Dad on the run.

Aww, that's sad. I get emotional now just thinking about the day I have to tell my buddy good bye Sad

Molly would have made a great running partner had I started 5-10 years ago....... by the time I started running she could only handle winter runs and 3-4 miles. Cry RIP ol' girl.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It is a hard thing, believe me and I really haven't had a chance to grieve over her, everytime I try to cry my eyes out my toddler son comes to me, he doesn't like it when I cry. She made it to 14 last November before she passed away in our living room on December 2nd at 2 in the morning, lung cancer is what  took her, the fluid in her lungs. Up until 2011 you would never have known that this 63 lb Husky/GSD was past 10 years old, because she acted like an adolescent pup. But then starting in the summer of 2011, when it would get hot and humid she would begin to slow down and cough, I thought it was just old age catching up to her, but then once the temps got to 60 and below she immediately recovered and was back to her normal go-go-go self. Last year, Summer lasted up until late December, with 80 degree temps one week and then 60 degrees the next, it was just too much for her to handle Cry. I know if we had lived in a colder, drier climate she could have easily made it to 17 years, but Southern Indiana has some ugly weather during the summer for dogs with furry fur coats. I had her since she was 7 months old, I found her out on the street sitting there watching me in 2001, I was 11 years old. She had been my shadow through middle school, high school, finding the love of my life, marriage, and the birth of my son........ she was always there with me and I miss her so much.

Aww, that's sad. I get emotional now just thinking about the day I have to tell my buddy good bye Sad

PRs

Dad on the run.

Wow, just reading that makes me want to cry for you. I know it will be hard when we lose ours but I think it will be hardest on our daughter. We got Brody when he was 7 weeks old and she had just turned 1yr old.

Some days she acts like she just hates him, but other days she will try putting tiaras and all sorts of girly stuff on him, or she will just simply use him as a chair when he's lying in the floor. Here are some examples of their relationship, lol.

Brody and EK

Carter and EK

It is a hard thing, believe me and I really haven't had a chance to grieve over her, everytime I try to cry my eyes out my toddler son comes to me, he doesn't like it when I cry. She made it to 14 last November before she passed away in our living room on December 2nd at 2 in the morning, lung cancer is what  took her, the fluid in her lungs. Up until 2011 you would never have known that this 63 lb Husky/GSD was past 10 years old, because she acted like an adolescent pup. But then starting in the summer of 2011, when it would get hot and humid she would begin to slow down and cough, I thought it was just old age catching up to her, but then once the temps got to 60 and below she immediately recovered and was back to her normal go-go-go self. Last year, Summer lasted up until late December, with 80 degree temps one week and then 60 degrees the next, it was just too much for her to handle Cry. I know if we had lived in a colder, drier climate she could have easily made it to 17 years, but Southern Indiana has some ugly weather during the summer for dogs with furry fur coats. I had her since she was 7 months old, I found her out on the street sitting there watching me in 2001, I was 11 years old. She had been my shadow through middle school, high school, finding the love of my life, marriage, and the birth of my son........ she was always there with me and I miss her so much.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

They'll be buddies for sure, sadly Dorian won't remember Molly because he was 8 months old when she passed. But I am sure Rocky and him will be, once Rocky gets over the fact that this little human doesn't yet speak, but herds him around the house.

Wow, just reading that makes me want to cry for you. I know it will be hard when we lose ours but I think it will be hardest on our daughter. We got Brody when he was 7 weeks old and she had just turned 1yr old.

PRs

Village people

I have a weimaraner and she seems to be able to trot for miles and miles. I don't think she enjoys it too much, though.

happylily

Some days she acts like she just hates him, but other days she will try putting tiaras and all sorts of girly stuff on him, or she will just simply use him as a chair when he's lying in the floor. Here are some examples of their relationship, lol.

Brody and EK

Carter and EK

So adorable!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010