Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday - Who let the Penguins out? (Read 216 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Dave-I just got a chance to go back and read your reply  from yesterday!

Too bad for your first 5K that was supposed to be Thanksgiving day...you were so ready..but AMAZING time on the"real" one!! 

and congrat's on your first floater! LOL! 

Thanks Tori!  I think I've got a sub-20 in my near future, guess we'll find out.  I was going to do another 5k on the 15th, but I'm joining my local running club and they're putting on a 50k that day (no, I'm not running it lol but I probably will next year), so I'm gonna skip the 5k and volunteer at the 50k.  I figure it's a good way to start off with the club and get to meet people. 

For anyone that noticed, the 5k in my sig keeps changing, because I can't make up my mind LOL  I think we've decided to do the Beat the Ball race, starts at 11:30pm on New Year's Eve and you get something special for finishing before midnight.  Sounds like fun.  Then we can party and sleep in the next day. lol  DW is going to do it with me, it will be her first race!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

ERLH- Does your plan keep 4 days/week all the way up to your marathon?  Cause it seems like I would want more days running than that.  Maybe you could start with a short run on your XT or strength day so that you still get a day all the way off?

Yeah my plan keeps 4 running days a week.  I was doing 6 so this is a big change.  I was also thinking about adding in an easy run instead or along with my cross train days.  I guess I'll take it as I go.

And Jimmy yes I love my bowflex!  And since I got it in the divorce settlement I guess I better use it right!? Wink

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

It stormed all day yesterday.  It was miserable.  But today is just cloudy.  My phone says its 62 out so it should be some nice temps when I get off work.  If the rain stays away, I'll go to the park.  But if rains any today, I'll probably just go on the treadmill cause the park will get all muddy...

I hope we get some actual cool weather soon!

Snickers/ Jackie- I am glad to see some more Texans in here. I am in a small town, Refugio, its near Corpus Christi. Enjoy the run later. I hope you get to go to the park.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

tracilynn

Wassup penguins!  

I did strength hip core junk last night and ran 4.0 miles today.   Great run.

Jimmy, I take imitrex for migraines and it works great for me.  As soon as you feel the migraine coming you take a pill (or two) and it knocks it right out.  May be worth a try.  My doc suggested the preventative pills and I, like you, didnt want to take a daily pill either.

The local gym here has an indoor track and its 11 laps = 1 mile.  I have never ran a track and I have never ran on a treadmill.  Ever.  Is that odd?

Later! 

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Im on my phone so im not going to do another round of personals, but hi everyone who checked in since I last stopped by. dtothe2 that beat the ball 5k sounds really cool where is it? I forget where you live.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!  3-5 recovery miles for me today.  How's everybody?  Brain is still fried.

Hope you got all the dust out.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Brady - I would love to decorate your house for beer and smoked meats.  I'm not sure I'm going to have the time though.

Zel / Kara - I wish that were my house.

The reason that I'm so into the lights is because my first house was purchased for $10,000 cash.  I had to replace the main support, roof, windows, doors, electrical, plumbing, insulation, drywall, move walls, replace siding, you name it.  I was a young entrepreneur that didn't want a lot of debt, and just wanted a place of my own.  I currently rent that house out because I don't want to forget.  Anyway, the neighbor across the street decorated every year, and I always got a little bit of joy from looking over and seeing all of the lights.  So, I decided that I'd brighten up my project with some lights one year, and a friendly competition began.  We even discussed building an arch from their house to mine.  Then, we could put up more lights.  Contrary to popular belief, the lights don't really use enough energy to make huge difference on your bill.  The key is to buy some more lights every year right after Christmas.  Buying them all at once at full price would be expensive.

Well, I have a bigger house now, and the neighbors here weren't really decorating when I showed up.  They have a lot of money, but didn't have a lot of interest in Christmas lights.  In 2008 the economy went to hell, and I lost my job.  I had sold my business, and was now on unemployment.  I had a lot of time on my hands, and not a lot of prospects out there.  Yeah, I was a little depressed.  So, I broke out the old Christmas lights.  My parents saw them, and donated a lot that they had just collecting dust in the basement.  Then, we came to inherit some lawn decorations.  That winter I sat in my living room and watched cars slow down to stare at what myself, and my girlfriend (now fiance) had created.  A felt like we had helped to lift the spirits of ourselves and others during some pretty tough times.

Fast forward to now.  Each year we've picked up some more lights every year.  The neighborhood has followed suit.  Every night I throw up a few more, or a few more thousand lights after my run.  Then, we get in the car and see what everybody else did that day.  On the way home, we get to see what everybody else sees as they drive past our house.  Next Monday, they're calling for snow.  So, we're racing to get everything up and lit.  I can't wait to see everything lit up, and reflecting off of the snow.  I'm going to do my best to get some pictures up after this weekend, but we also have to get out and get our tree.  The center of our room is about 11 feet tall, and we always have to find one that goes all the way to the top. 

I try to do a little something anonymous every year for Christmas, but this is the one thing that I do to brighten spirits that I'll take some credit for.  We have a lot of work into it, and really look forward to sitting back and watching the reactions of others. 

Awood:  You must be related to Clark Griswold !!!

Hey all, 

I promised to get to personals at some point today, so here goes:

Awood-I love Christmas lights!!! I want to see pictures

Gustav-Hope your feeling better, when is the doctor appt again?

TSTS- I hope your PT was fun

Jblack- Hope you felt better as the day went on! And that you got your run in tonight

Hog- You are allowed to have a lazy day! Hope it was great and that you got your run in tonight

Bin- Donating blood is awesome!! 

Jerry- you 2 are unstoppable!! I love it

Kristin- I am glad you got up and ran this morning, I have those mornings alot, but I tell myself "A bad run is better than no run"

Eatrunlivehappy- I wish I could discipline myself to strength train because everytime I plan on it, I just end up hating it and making excuses

Kara- you are a rock star!!!! 

Robert- I have to exercise before work or I end up making excuses!!! Plus the endorphines help make the day easier

Docket- I am envious that 5 miles is "recovery" for you!! I will get there eventually!!!

Brenda- Dont you get dizzy going around that many times?  More power to you girl!!!

Scotty- I wish it was 77 here!!! We had a heat spell of 45 and now its back into the 20s!  Winter in upstate ny means new running tights on my Christmas list!

Brady- hope you are good!

Tomas- hope you had an awesome rest day

Zelanie-shopping and a late treadmill run sounds great!!

HopesMOM- have fun at choir practice!!

Jack- thats great about your DD! Sounds like they are chips off the old blocks

Bill- Sorry about the bad stroll/run, we have all been there but a bad day makes you wonder why you like this sport to begin with, I was craving a good run last week and felt like amazing when I finally got it

Snickers- I hope you were able to get outside today

Mjsmith- I have never run at night, too afraid of cars, but that sounds amazing

Tracilynn- way to go on 4 miles today!

AFM- My running high this morning did not last through the work day!! Like I said yesterday, its been crazy busy lately.  At least it means my department is making money and hopefully we wont be next on the layoff chopping block, the hospital let 20 employees go the week before Thanksgiving.  I came home today to a beautiful boquet of flowers from DH!! Its days like today that remind me never to take him for granted!! He is amazing!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

A quick question: I know people were having problems posting pictures on here and now that seems to be sorted. Is anyone having a problem changing their avatar? No matter what I do, the picture I select will not show up. Anyone else?

I am still not sure how to upload photos!!! Please let me know!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I didn't have as much time tonight.  I'm about to run out the door, BUT!!!

I got the snowman on his motorcycle with the penguin on the back put outside.

THEN, I extended my running streak to 12 days.  Almost all of those were 6 milers.  There were a couple short, but tonight was another 6.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Awood, we need pics! Dave, you def have a sub 20 in you. And you haven't even started in speedwork yet.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

I am still not sure how to upload photos!!! Please let me know!

You have to host them on another site, like photobucket.  Then use the link from the hosting site (the direct link, not the img or html) and use the little tree button in the toolbar above your text box. Paste the link into the image url and click insert and your pic will show up in your post. Smile

Bin, I'm really curious to see what I can do in 2013 with more training, should be a good year.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Kristi:  Wow, 24 personals.   Enjoy the flowers.  You deserve them.

Wink

hog4life

awood, the Christmas light story is awesome! Another run tonight but it was only 1.8 miles. My grandson was riding the bike along side me, it was dark, we had blinky lights, reflective vest, head lamps. It was going great, and then it started to sprinkle, and although it wasn't cold(57), I didn't want him getting sick.