Beginners and Beyond

Illinois Half Marathon Race Report (Read 78 times)

workinprogress11

Thanks so much for the replies and encouragement, everyone.  Hearing (well, reading) people who know what they are talking about saying that I have any chance at all of someday qualifying for Boston makes me determined to put in the work I need to put in to do it.  Thanks for that !

Redrum, I typically try to run 6 days a week and I spread out the mileage fairly evenly.  My "long run" will usually be 10-11 miles on Saturday with the other 5 days varying between 5 to 8 miles.  I usually take Monday or Tuesday off.  Like I said I don't really plan my speedwork, but as I was looking at my log I saw that I usually will have a speedy day the day after my rest day.  I also like to try to kick it up a notch on Friday before my long run because I like to practice getting used to running longer on tired legs.  When I start training marathon training in June for my 3rd marathon,  I will be working up to a peak of about 60 miles and will distribute the mileage in such a way as to have a longer (between 11 and 14 miles) midweek run along with the Saturday long runs up to 22 miles.

Thanks again, everyone.  Your support is greatly appreciated!

Hip Redux

Great job hitting sub-2!!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Congratulations!  Also, so glad that you didn't die trying! =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Zelanie

Congrats on getting well under two!  Sounds like you did a really nice job trusting yourself and how you were feeling mid-race and letting yourself run ahead since it was your day!

Way to go! Bet it felt pretty good coming down the stretch seeing that clock starting with a 1!

Dave

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the sub 2.   You really hung in there at the end.  Hope there are lots of Illini touchdowns in that endzone next fall.

Just B.S.

Congrats! Great job!

Crew_Dawg

Congrats on that sub 2!

-- Ice, I could ice for hours

happylily

I think you have a very good chance of running a BQ if you'll keep running 40-50 mpw and keep doing speed work.  Don't be afraid of occasionally doing some short, fast stuff like strides, "repetition" workouts, and hill sprints.  Sounds like you had a terrific race.  Congrats.

I agree 100% with what Brad said.

I'm so happy for you! Good serious training always pays off. You did so well! And I bet the PRs will be coming fast from now on. Smile Sub-2 is definitely a milestone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Congratulations!  Also, so glad that you didn't Di Trying! =)

FYP!  Cool

camille2

Congratulations!  Great job!

Ms Chenandler Bong

Congratulations!!!   That's awesome that your smashed your goal time!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congratulations on beating your goal, especially by so much.  Sometimes I think it helps just to be totally focused on a singular goal for a race.  If you need to accept not making it, then you can do that after the race and still feel good too.  I love that you said the heck with that side stitch and just went and got that time.  Keep up the awesome work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow amazing job!! Sub-2:00 half that is an awesome milestone! Congrats!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to