Beginners and Beyond

Are there "normal" aches and pains of running? (Read 150 times)

Sloooow.

Can some aches and pains just be considered normal? I have no insurance, so the biggest thing that scares me about running is the risk of injury. This has made me paranoid about every little twinge I feel anywhere. I know I have shin splints, I'm working on correcting that. I've recently started noticing some aching in my pelvis. Not pain, just a general ache, hip flexors I guess?

I guess I want reassurance from people who have ached, and are not injured, lol.

Not quite right

All the time . I always count it to getting older. If a ache keeps popping up I worry then other wise keep running

Docket_Rocket

Well, I never ache...

You need to determine whether something is just soreness or pain, IMO.  Soreness is something that happens to all runners vs. pain which might indicate an issue.

Do you do hip flexor stretches?  They might help with your aching.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

My question is this: do any of you who put on significant miles NOT have any aches & pains? That sounds more abnormal to me.

I seem to walk around with them constantly. I am assuming/hoping none of them are injuries (or serious injuries - I guess by definition it is some kind of injury). The ones I feel walking around but not as much while running are the ones I don't worry about as much. If running makes them significantly worse, that is a source of more concern. (Now I have just jinxed myself & will get one of the latter kind. Thanks.)

Dave

Docket_Rocket

yes.

My question is this: do any of you who put on significant miles NOT have any aches & pains? That sounds more abnormal to me.

I seem to walk around with them constantly. I am assuming/hoping none of them are injuries (or serious injuries - I guess by definition it is some kind of injury). The ones I feel walking around but not as much while running are the ones I don't worry about as much. If running makes them significantly worse, that is a source of more concern. (Now I have just jinxed myself & will get one of the latter kind. Thanks.)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dave

yes.

Really? None?

I guess I'm not questioning you but I don't know many runners, especially as they get older, who don't experience aches and pains once in a while.

Ball of Fury

It's the humidity....makes Docket immune!!

As far as the question, when we first started running "longer" runs, I would start to ache in my hips or knees at about 6-8 miles...went away after a few weeks.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Sloooow.

Well, I never ache...

You need to determine whether something is just soreness or pain, IMO.  Soreness is something that happens to all runners vs. pain which might indicate an issue.

Do you do hip flexor stretches?  They might help with your aching.

I don't believe I do, I will look into those. It's more a groiny/pelvis ache than anywhere. I love the looks I get from my kids when I'm doing weird stretches trying to figure out where the ache is, lol.

It's the humidity....makes Docket immune!!

Or further proof that she is abnormal, which we all knew anyway. Wink

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I prefer the term bad ass....

Or further proof that she is abnormal, which we all knew anyway. Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BruceD555

You suck. Smile

Yeah, but she works out in a sauna so that doesn't count.

The only time I notice aches/pains is when I decrease my miles (think taper). When I'm running in the 70 mpw range I don't notice anything - other than the next day mild fatigue after a particularly good hill/speed workout the night before.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

Aren't saunas dry heat?  At least they feel that way as compared to outside.

BTW, I signed up for Puerto Rico again. Good thing they moved it to March.  90F is much better than 100F anyway. Joking

Yeah, but she works out in a sauna so that doesn't count.

The only time I notice aches/pains is when I decrease my miles (think taper). When I'm running in the 70 mpw range I don't notice anything - other than the next day mild fatigue after a particularly good hill/speed workout the night before.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BruceD555

Good point ... change it to steam room, does that work for ya'?

Aren't saunas dry heat?  At least they feel that way as compared to outside.

BTW, I signed up for Puerto Rico again. Good thing they moved it to March.  90F is much better than 100F anyway. Joking

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

Still dry....Joking

Good point ... change it to steam room, does that work for ya'?

Damaris

Fundraising Page