Beginners and Beyond

Week 36 Penguins, complaining about the weather! (08/23-08/29) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Actually, I can't guarantee it's the weather I'm complaining about.  I got an email from the building manager next door that the power was flickering on and off on Saturday.  I don't really know if it was weather related, but it turns out my lab was affected too, and all of my instruments vented and shut down.  So this morning has been firing everything back up and seeing what got messed up.  One of my instruments can't be fully operated until a scheduled repair happens, so it'll be what it is.  I should still be able to run it, it's just the data won't look as good.  The other is still in the process of waking up, and I'll need to retune and recalibrate, then run some standards and make sure it's feeling up to snuff before I get going on my big project again.  Hopefully I've only lost a day, or part of a day.

Meanwhile, it's my anniversary today!  18 years and counting.  Yeah, I'd do it again!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, hope you can get your instruments back on track. We had a power outage on Saturday morning related to an animal on the lines. Not sure what kind of animal but it took down power to 4K households.

I have either 5 or my RD. I will do my allergy shot today so it depends on how I feel after it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Must've been a moose!!!

GinnyinPA

Happy Anniversary HM! I hope you can get everything working again soon. I'm surprised there isn't a generator backup, or are the experiments pretty easy to do over when power fails?

D - good luck with your allergy shot this afternoon.

I'm definitely complaining about the weather, though it does no good. Another week of hot and humid here, with a daily chance of thunderstorms, but no significant rain in weeks. Everything is brown and the leaves are falling like rain. Too many days stuck on the TM make me grumpy. I need to be outdoors.

Singer who runs a smidge

I would LOVE to have generator backup, but it's not available for most of campus.  Too pricey, I guess.  When I worked at UVA we did happen to have generator backup, because we were physically connected to the hospital.  That was nice.  Luckily my runs all finished earlier Saturday morning than the power went out.  I have UPS systems on all my instruments that will carry us through 15-20 minutes of power loss, basically it smooths out the blips, but if things go down, we're just out of luck.  It rarely happens during the day, though, and I don't like running too much overnight because too many things can go wrong.

We're back to hot and humid here too -- temps in the upper 90's and all.  It's been an incredibly wet August here, but we're supposed to be fairly dry this week, so I'm biking most days.  Probably not Thursday, it's just too hard to bike out and then get home in time for chorus zoom at 7:00.

Class was interesting yesterday -- I got started teaching and one of my students interrupted to say he'd just gotten an email that our class was moved due to a covid exposure in our classroom, meaning it would need to be cleaned and disinfected.  So we all looked at each other, and then a lady (from facilities?  Dunno.) came and told us the same thing, so we packed up and moved to a classroom in a different building.  Nobody was too fazed, including me -- we weren't in there very long, and we're all masked, and I wipe down my podium before setting up my stuff on it.  Still, it makes teaching that much more of an adventure.  I'll be taking my daily health check a little more seriously for the next couple of weeks, I guess.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 7 and weights.

HopesMom, ugh, college life is now like a mixture of the Wild West and the Hobbit.

Ginny, oh, I'm complaining about the weather too. Can't wait for fall.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Getting moved like that would be worrisome, but surely it was too late since everyone had already settled in and touched anything they were going to touch?  Good luck.

Singer who runs a smidge

No, there's evidence that you have to take in a certain amount of virus in order to get the infection.  The concern was the viral load in the air, so we needed to get out before we inhaled enough to get sick.  I took the whole thing as a sign that the protocols are working about as well as one can hope.  And also that I need to take my phone with me to class -- I would've gotten the notification more easily.  Or maybe not, since the students were clearly all over it!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My daily health checks are still clear, although I jinxed myself yesterday thinking, "I don't think I've had a migraine since all this covid stuff started", and BAM, was suddenly nauseous and headachy.  So I turned off the lights, closed my eyes, took an Excedrin, and told DH to hold dinner for 15 minutes or so, and after that I was mostly ok.  I did take a ginger capsule when I went to bed, since my stomach was still a little iffy, and then slept like a rock.

Biked in this morning, and now I'm continuing to do work-type stuff.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, feel better!

I have 14 with 5 @ MP tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  I'm doing pretty much the same thing as I've been doing for weeks -- come to work, go home, have a zoom meeting or hang out with DH, go to bed, start again tomorrow.  DH has a doctor's appointment today for a routine checkup, so that should be interesting.  Other than that, not much news to report!  I didn't bike today because I have chorus zoom tonight, and it's just too hard to bike home, get dinner, and get to chorus on time (much like it was impossible when we met in person).  It's amazing how much you can adapt to, if you have no other choice. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I didn't run my 14 (ran 5 instead), so the 14 are due today.

HopesMom, good luck with DH's appointment.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - Good luck with your 14.

HM - Enjoy your chorus this evening.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, DH's appointment went ok -- he said they changed a couple of his meds, but he couldn't remember which ones, why they changed, or what they changed to.    Clearly I would've asked a few more questions!!  He had the paperwork, but he had left it in the car, so maybe I'll get to look at it tonight.

Chorus was also fun, but I am reminded every week, how difficult it is to get home at 6:40, get dinner, and get on zoom by 7:00.

Big work project keeps rolling along, thankfully.  The investigator emailed me yesterday saying, "So, will we get results tomorrow?"  Um, no.  Maybe in 2-3 more weeks.    Somehow she thought the 2-week turnaround I quoted for basic projects of a few samples each would also apply to her quantitation experiments of 32 samples.  So I told her that each sample required 4 hours of instrument time, which is true, but only if nothing goes wrong.  Maybe that little dose of reality will help.

Biked in this morning, hoping to get out this evening before the hurricane remnants arrive.