Beginners and Beyond

I have a dumb race question... (Read 97 times)

From the Internet.

Do you check your phone with the rest of your stuff at bag check on race day, or do you carry it with you during the race?

Generally during races I lock it in the glove compartment of my car, but I'm taking public transit into my race tomorrow and buy train tickets on my phone. Problems!

Zelanie

I would be awfully tempted to check it if there was a bag check available.  I've always just gone with the "glove compartment" phone storage, too, but I did take my phone and about 32445782 other things with me when I ran the HM in Costa Rica, and that worked out reasonably well, actually.  It fit in the pouch of my fuel belt.

RSX

Growing up in the city with that mentality, there is no way I would leave it in a bag check. I ran Boston with a fuel belt no water, just to carry my phone and $.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Another vote for carry it on you. When I have used public transportation for races, I carry on me anything I need (MTA pass, car key, credit card & money). I check clothes for after the race, and it is clothing & a bag that if something happened to it, I wouldn't care. I have a Spi-Belt, it can be a bit annoying, but I'd rather that than the stress of losing/having my stuff stolen.

Assuming your train ticket is on your phone & something you have to show/may have to show, I'd keep the phone on me.

Love the Half

I remain astounded at how much stuff people carry during a race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Well they tell you never to leave valuables with bag check; it is probably 98% safe but that 2% looms large if it is your phone. You can't buy train tickets with old fashioned cash, and leave your phone behind? I am as attached to my phone as anyone, but have managed to leave it behind at races. I think that is only somewhat problematic if it is a large race and you are trying to meet someone after. I always figure if there is a situation where you absolutely must use a phone, there are a billion other people around with phones and one of them will let you borrow theirs. Assuming you know the number.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I used to be too paranoid to leave it in bag check... but I HATE running races with my phone.  I take my chances now.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I just leave it in my car.  I wouldn't carry it during a race but my phone is kind of big and I hate carrying extra stuff.  I would check it if the choice was between that or carrying it.

I have checked my phone in my drop bag at Boston every year I've run it and also other point to point races where I may need it at the end. Never had an issue and can't say I've known anyone to have anything go missing from gear bag. And now of course there will be posts following this one with examples of things being stolen but I wouldn't have a problem doing it again. Just wrap it up inside whatever article of clothing you put in the bag so it is visible to anyone just by looking.

Can you carry a $20 instead if you have to pay for a train ticket? Folded up they fit in the littlest of pockets.

delicate flower

I've never "checked it."  Normally I leave it in the car for the local races.  Sometimes I'll leave it with a race sherpa if offered.  For the Hartford Marathon, I left it in a private tent in the athlete's village.

I'll carry it in a SpiBelt if I ever do a big city race like Chicago or Boston so I can catch up with DW or whoever else after the race.  I carried it in my belt at my Disney race last weekend for this reason, and since I had it with me a took a bunch of pics before the race.  Glad I did that.

<3

Tangentially related coolstorybro: My first marathon I carried my phone with me, in an armstrap. After the race my left shoulder felt really sore. I attributed it to the weight of the phone on that arm, swinging back & forth for 26.2 miles. (And no it was not a brick phone from the '80's, just an iPhone.) Decided next time I would switch arms mid-race. Instead, the next time I did not carry my phone. But after the race I still had pain in my left shoulder, even worse this time. Never figured that out; didn't happen the next time after that.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I never use gear check but when I do I leave the phone in between my shirt and stuff in the bag so it's not easily seen.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

I have never used a bag check, so clearly a no for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

RSX

Boston this year had no bag check and my ride home was based on a street corner to be determined. I called my friends shortly after finishing to see where the car was. If I drive to a race the only thing I carry is a key.

Half Crazy K 2.0

When I drive to races, I only carry my car key and leave everything else in the car. When I've done the Baltimore half marathon, I drive to a light rail stop and use public transit. Baltimore's public transit is far from reliable and it is a relatively common occurance that cars get broken into at the stations, soiI leave nothing in the car.

I've used gear check in a charity tent. Not secure, despite being told it was.

I'm on alert any time I'm in downtown Baltimore, cause it ain't exactly a low crime area.