Beginners and Beyond

Road racin' Saturdailies (Read 42 times)

cjones1

Yo!

I'm up at the butt crack of dawn, so here I am. I've had my cinnamon crunch bagel and am working on my coffee.  13.1 with 10,000 of my closest friends this morning.

What at about you?

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

delicate flower

Good luck, Jones!

I'm off to go shake the legs out.  BRB!

<3

Cyberic

Mornin'

A few easy miles for me today. Don't know how many yet. I'm thinking 6 - 8.

Good luck racers today!

Sorry I have been remiss in posting. Schedule has been crazy. Still in transition to my new job in Seattle, but no actual family move until we sell our house in MI. In the mean time I have been (& will be) on the road virtually continuously, with some stops back home on weekends. Still doing my best to keep up the running, and get the mileage back up. After Thursday's run, my "last 7 days" total was 51.5, so I was happy to see that. Throwing some speedwork in there, but unfortunately that's been pretty light on the speed & heavy on the work. I guess they say you should not be adding both mileage & speed at the same time, but I am too anxious and it wouldn't be my first time doing something stupid.

I want to try getting back into racing next weekend, but can't decide on 5k or 10k. Logic suggests starting with 5k, but my speed has been so sucky that I am wondering if I'd be better off with 10k. Opinions?

Dave

From the Internet.

Morning!

Today is my first really long run all alone D: 15 miles after soccer is over. Clothing poll: going to be ~45 when I start and ~52-53 when I finish - shorts and a light long sleeve sound reasonable? Or my lighter tights?

Dave - be careful with the speed! Hm.. I'd pick the 5K in your shoes, but maybe go for the 10K if you think you'll be tempted to run the 5K too hard.

Cyberic

Dave, considering you're not going to win the race anyways, even if you're 100%, what's wrong with a slower than usual 5K?

MTA: Ah! I get it from Lauren's comment... The temptation to run too fast. Just forget what I said

Today is my first really long run all alone D: 15 miles after soccer is over. Clothing poll: going to be ~45 when I start and ~52-53 when I finish - shorts and a light long sleeve sound reasonable? Or my lighter tights?

For me that'd be short sleeves & shorts even if it stayed at 45 the whole time. YMMV, but you will get warm.

Dave

Cyberic

Lauren, can't help you with clothing advice. I have a hard enough time finding what's right for me. If I'm going to miss target on the clothing I prefer a bit too warm than a bit too cold.

StepbyStep-SH

Good luck to all of today's racers! (And tomorrow's, too!) Go get it!

SRD - taking DS to an "Authors Festival" this morning. It used to be called Young Authors, and teachers nominate their students to take along something they have written and attend workshops with a published author.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

15 miles after soccer is over. Clothing poll: going to be ~45 when I start and ~52-53 when I finish - shorts and a light long sleeve sound reasonable? Or my lighter tights?

That's singlet and shorts weather girl, especially to run long.

LRB

I want to try getting back into racing next weekend, but can't decide on 5k or 10k. Logic suggests starting with 5k, but my speed has been so sucky that I am wondering if I'd be better off with 10k. Opinions?

Regardless of the event you run, you are only going to be as fast as your current fitness allows, but that should be at or better than your best fitness last year.

So in either case you will most likely will run a PR so it's a win, win situation.

Dave, considering you're not going to win the race anyways, even if you're 100%, what's wrong with a slower than usual 5K?

MTA: Ah! I get it from Lauren's comment... The temptation to run too fast. Just forget what I said

WHAT? I'M NOT?? Noteworthy: my first race in a new AG. (First new AG ever in fact since I started running.) And it is a HM where I think not too many people do the 5k/10k, so there is some possibility of AG placing even being slow.

But I can't imagine not trying to run my fastest, only that it would end up not being so fast. Should I not try too hard?

Dave

happylily

Lauren, shorts and light long sleeves sound good to me. Could also be arm warmers and singlet/short sleeves. Enjoy the LR!

Dave, I'd go with the 10k, just because I dislike 5ks...

cjones, run like the wind! Good luck!

Shari, have a good time with DS. It's great that you take him to so many educational activities and that he enjoys them!

Rick, Boon, Cyber, and everyone else, good morning!

I have 6 easy and house chores on the schedule today.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Today was the first day I took my new antibiotic on a truly empty stomach. Boy that was a mistake.

LRB

Dave, I'd go with the 10k, just because the adaptation from it will yield better fitness in the short and long term.