Beginners and Beyond

Sugar Rush WEDnesdailies (Read 46 times)

Good Morning! Hope you all didn't eat too much candy. I was surprisingly able to restrain myself.  Had a great time walking around with our 2yo. He had a blast. Didn't quite grasp the whole saying "trick or treat" thing but he said "thank you" to every single person so what more can I ask for.

I really appreciate the advice on the knee. I'm thinking maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is. Felt fine this morning so I decided to give the workout a go. I tried to concentrate on the neutral pelvis thing. I definitely need to do this more. I also have tight hip flexors which makes it hard to kick behind and push. Will start stretching these more too. Would love to see a PT or chiropractor who knows what they're doing but I don't have the money right now and my insurance sucks. It sure is tough as a runner making decisions as to adjusting goal pace, scaling back workouts, etc....ughhh... as of now I'm still going for it...of course that could change. I'm not gonna do something stupid.

Here it goes:

2mi WU + a couple drills

4x1mi (figured I would cut it if I felt anything wrong) splits 6:11, 05, 10, 11 / 2:00JR    Felt fantastic doing these. Zero pain. Felt strong.

2mi Down

Post workout feel good. generally sore legs but nothing hurts.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

delicate flower

Happy November, kiddos!!  I started the month with a 2300 yard swim this morning, plus I've got a bike workout tonight.  My candy gorging last night was limited to one snack pack of peanut M&M's...I am trying to be good.  I did stash away some Almond Joys and Snickers for after my marathon though.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Jay, an option is to see if any of your local running stores do injury clinics. The ones near me have events where medical professionals come in and do brief assessment for a nominal fee ($15-20). It's not the same as a real office visit, but you can get some ideas for rehab exercises if needed.

Cyberic

Interesting  Onemile:   The first workout that is a struggle for you (cutting down from 5K pace), is one that probably helped your speed the most for the 5K. And that is a hard workout for any runner.  I found that working with the Jack Daniels "Interval" pace(about 2 mile pace), and dropping down into "rep" pace (about 1 mile pace) as you improve for straight (add 2 weekly or every other to 12) 8-12X 400s/200JR or 1-1:30, really helps your speed and ability  to buffer/use lactate, and improves V02 Max- all which will help you run a fast 5K.

I always thought Daniels' Interval pace was 5K pace, and I've always struggled with it. Maybe that's why. I just checked and my Spring half marathon time gives me an Interval pace of 6:02, and a 5K pace of 6:08. Those couple of seconds do make a difference.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I always thought Daniels' Interval pace was 5K pace, and I've always struggled with it. Maybe that's why. I just checked and my Spring half marathon time gives me an Interval pace of 6:02, and a 5K pace of 6:08. Those couple of seconds do make a difference.

Unless he has changed it in later editions, he defines I pace as the pace one could maintain for 10-15 minutes as a race, e.g. 5K pace for elite runners, 3K-4K for most of us. I couldn't find a specific reference, but I think T pace is the pace you could race at for 40-45 minutes, e.g. 15k pace for elite runners, 10K pace for better recreational runners, etc.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

oldfartrunner

Yeah, all you got to do is look at the projected times for the different race paces it comes out close to 2 mile pace. That's why I always liked 400s for speed/endurance with the short rests of 1:-1:30. You can run them faster than 800s without as much stress, but really enough-IMO. And for example, a 20 min 5Ker works @ 1:34 for interval, 1:28 for rep. You might start @ 1:34, and toward the end of the cycle be @ 1:30ish-working from 2 mile down toward 1 mile but keeping rest the same. This improves your speed more than cutting rest because the rest is still pretty short, and this still blasts your V02 Max, but makes you faster.

The longer intervals, 1200-1 mile, 5K pace is better, IMO. Actually, for 1 miles, 10K pace with 2:-2:30JR is better than 5K IMO, because you can do slightly more work there without as much stress for the majority of the cycle. The 800s you can go either way for more strength, but keep them close to interval pace, or faster by only 1-2 seconds as you improve.

Of course, most people can get 200s @ Rep- if you can't, that is where you need to work more, but the shorter rests of 1:1-30JR x12-16, really works your V02 Max too. Work longer intervals slower, shorter faster is how to improve speed and endurance and also running economy, making race pace easier. Just my 2 cents. Smile

Darn right they do lol

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Happy November, kiddos!!  I started the month with a 2300 yard swim this morning, plus I've got a bike workout tonight.  My candy gorging last night was limited to one snack pack of peanut M&M's...I am trying to be good.  I did stash away some Almond Joys and Snickers for after my marathon though.

Good choices. Protein! Although, here is my beef with Mounds/Almond Joy. I always feel like a nut. However dark chocolate >> milk chocolate. They need Almond Joy w/dark chocolate.

7 miles.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am exhausted and in court again.  Took forever to get here (almost to the point that I had to go straight from the car to the court, which does not happen often since I leave 2+ hours from court time).  Anyway, I have 4 and weights tonight.  Maybe a nap, but my mini vacation starts tomorrow, so...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zzyzx

Dark chocolate is an abomination. But then I've always been about moar sugar!!! That probably didn't help my diabetes Wink

Abs, shoulders, triceps today and a decent bike session 30 minutes hill setting level 13 10.16 miles.

LRB

I don't have my book with me, but if I recall correctly, my "I" pace according to Daniels' chart is about 9 seconds faster than my 5k PR pace. Depending on how I feel however, I'll sometimes run a VO 2 max workout at 5k pace if I'm having a hard time running at "I" pace.

Dark chocolate is an abomination. 

Dark chocolate is the food of the gods.

Dave

LRB

Dark chocolate is the food of the gods.

lol

I eat them both, pretty much equally. It's just based on my mood or what I have a taste for.

Docket_Rocket

LOL. I don't like chocolate (unless it's white chocolate and we know that's a misnomer).  But I do have CANDY CORN on my desk, OMG.

I finally saw my desk for the first time this week.  It's wood and dark brown, and has a standing desk and things I didn't even remember. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Of course, most people can get 200s @ Rep- if you can't, that is where you need to work more, but the shorter rests of 1:1-30JR x12-16, really works your V02 Max too. Work longer intervals slower, shorter faster is how to improve speed and endurance and also running economy, making race pace easier. Just my 2 cents. Smile

I'm a pretty "balanced" runner with probably a little tendency toward endurance rather than speed. But I think that is more because of my personal preference and thus the way I train than natural talent. When not following a plan (as right now) in an average week I'll spend 12 minutes at Interval pace (example: 6 x 2 min) out of 60-70 miles in my week. I figure that if I did the same Tuesday workout, but was running 25-35 mile weeks, maybe my balance would tend towards speed instead of endurance. But overall, I can usually get my "equivalent" race time at other distances, other than the marathon, which is a different beast for most of us.

Back to your comment. I can do 200s at R pace, but do not have the will to get my jog-rest shorter. It would work my VO2Max, yes, when I work at R pace, I'm working on running mechanics and do not like to be too winded.