Beginners and Beyond

Up and at 'em Sunday Penguins! (Read 193 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning Pengs!

First of all GOOD LUCK BIN!!  Hope you have a great HM

I was up most of the night with calls  and am about to head out on the road again but I"m determined to get in at least 2 miles tonight so I hit 30 for the week.   I did achieve my double yesterday, 5 am and 4 pm.  I would be running so much more if I wasn't on the stupid treadmill but I am very grateful that I have it and that it still works in spite of it's advanced age.   It's unsafe to run where I do in the dark so the TM is necessary for me but Lordy is it boring.   Already jonesing for spring and longer days! Smile

Have a great day, everyone!

Liz

hog4life

Morning Gustav and Liz!

I'm working today so I hope to get a few recovery miles in after work. My legs are a little on the sore side after yesterday's 13.1 mile run.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Good luck to Bin and Damaris!

Yesterday I did a full body workout on the machines at the gym and started to add a little weight. Also , did resistance band exercises and stretches at home.

It was a good knife and fork day also as the wife and I had ice cream (Expresso Bean and Butternut Pecan Swiril) and Thai food. That's right, dessert came first!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

@runjerseygirl

Good luck to anyone who's racing today.  I sort of had a race.  I signed up for a virtual 10k and kicked it out this morning.  6.21 miles in 1:13:37.  New distance PR, too.

Do you even run?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Penguins!!!   

Probably due for a RD, but with great weather today and tomorrow, we will probably do some short runs anyway. 

Good luck to the racers today.

Jen2011

Good morning!  Good luck bin and Damaris!  

Thanks for getting us started, Liz!  Sorry work has got you so busy.  Great job on the double on the TM yesterday!

Mitch, enjoy the recovery run today.  Great run yesterday!

Gustav, sounds like you got a good workout in yesterday and earned that ice cream!

Kay, congrats on your race this morning!  

AFM, it feels weird to not be heading out for a mega LR, but I'm in taper mode, so 5 is all that's in the cards for me today.  The weather here is also crazy.  Last Sunday I started my run and it was in the 20's, this morning it's 60.  Who knows what the weather will be like next week for my half!

Have a wonderful day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Hey Jerry you snuck in on me!  Enjoy the weather and have a great run today!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Morning yall! Sorry I can't do shot-outs to everyone, I'm pecking this out on my tablet, and it ain't easy : ) Good luck racers and everyone have a great Sunday! Headed out for my 3 miles today. Brenda Oh and thanks Jerry for Dave's link yesterday!

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

Bin Running

Thanks, penguins! Completed HM in 2:02:29. Missed my goal of 2hrs. Will have to get the sub 2 in next year. Reasonably happy as there are major human traffic at the start and also at the end when we merge with the 10Ks.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks, penguins! Completed HM in 2:02:29. Missed my goal of 2hrs. Will have to get the sub 2 in next year. Reasonably happy as there are major human traffic at the start and also at the end when we merge with the 10Ks.

You still had great race Bin and had fun too.  Congrats !!!!

SRD for me.

Liz - YAY for doubles!

Mitch - I'm feeling yesterday's miles too, but I didn't even do half of what you ran! I hope your recovery miles go well!

Gustav - Thanks for getting us started! Mmmm... dessert first!

Kay - Nice job on the virtual race this morning! And a distance PR to boot! WAY TO GO!

Jerry - Good morning!

Jen - Enjoy your 5!

Brenda - Enjoy your 3!

Bin - Congratulations!!  I'm sorry you didn't quite meet your goal on the HM, but you were close! You will be under 2 next time, I am sure!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning yall! Sorry I can't do shot-outs to everyone, I'm pecking this out on my tablet, and it ain't easy : ) Good luck racers and everyone have a great Sunday! Headed out for my 3 miles today. Brenda Oh and thanks Jerry for Dave's link yesterday!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am being lazy today, I slept in, no race this morning.  But I won't be lazy all day.  Race #70 for me is a 5K today at 5 PM done at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio. The 5K route is along the campus roads going by and under the THOUSANDS of holiday lights decorating all the trees and buildings on the campus.  Here is a sky-point view of the campus and all its holiday lights.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I see we are 'back to normal' with Gustav starting us off again.   Congrats on your workouts, buddy!  BEAN ice cream? Dead

Doesn't sound like you are having a quiet on-call time, Liz.  BTW, my dream of two nights ago continued.  OK, so you were on a horse, wearing the style of Lady Godiva, lol.  Except that it was a merry-go-round horse.  As the carousel went around, you came to this point where all these live horses were lined up in single file.   As you passed this point, you dispensed some kind of meds to each horse.  After you finished, all the horses began running beside the carousel right near where you were, and were going around and around and around with you.  Then Lulu (my cat) jumped up on the bed and woke me up so I never really did find out why you were doing this or what was going on.  Oh yeah, I bet a shrink would really like to make a case study out of me, lol.   Sorry you have no safe place to run in the dark, Liz.  Happy treadmill running!

Sorry you have to work on Sunday, Mitch.  It is a beautiful day here in San Antonio...somewhat humid, but even so, nice and sunny, blue skies, powder-puff clouds, and will be near 80 degrees today.  Want to come out and play?  After being in Washington State for Thanksgiving, I had to laugh watching our Weather Lady last night:  "Yes, it is pretty humid this weekend, but we do have a COLD front coming in, the lows will get ALL the way down to the 50s during the workweek. "   Well, the 50s will be appreciated, but we're not exactly having REAL winter like lots of folks are.

OK, Jerry, per my above to Mitch...what is "good weather" in winter for you in your area?  Happy miles if you get out there.

Congrats on your new distance PR, Kay! 

Jen good luck with your 5-mile taper run;  if already done, hope it went well for you.   60s sounds nice.

Hope your miles went well too, Tweaky (Brenda?).

Dang, Bin, you didn't miss your goal by much!  You will get that sub two hours, I'm sure!  Congrats on your half!

Enjoy your SRD, Mickey!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt