Beginners and Beyond

Which is better? (Read 115 times)

Hip Redux

At the gym I have two choices - the indoor track which is about ~100m or the treadmill.

I know which one I chose when forced indoors, what would you go for?

Little Blue

If forced to choose inside, I go for the treadmill.  18 laps/mile is more mind numbing than the treadmill.  At least you can watch TV or something.

Just B.S.

If I had an indoor track anywhere close I would choose that option, even if it is only

100 meters.

I an definitely not a wuss,  been 14  winter running in Canada since 2000 but this

month has been one of the longest strings of bitter weather and storms that I have

seen since I started.

So the last 2 weeks I have been a wuss Smile Only one outdoor run in the last 14 days.

happylily

If I had control over the weather and where I can run (meaning, not in the town I live in presently), I would choose running outside. I run outside in the summer, near the ocean, and I love it. But I cannot have my way with the weather and the location, so I choose the TM. There is no track available near me and I don't want to drive to one. Also, I love the solitude on my TM. You guys really do not understand the peace it brings me. I can hear the sound of my footsteps and feel my heart beat and my lungs expand in the same way as all of you running on the road. In my mind, I can see whatever road I have seen in my travels. It is a very internal thing for me. Just like running on a quiet country road on a winter or summer night must be for you, I'm sure.

EDIT: I spelled "hear", "here". I had to correct myself. My brain is weak and mushy. grrr...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

obiebyke

I get outside. I don't have the money to belong to a gym, and I like being close to the elements. The first run I skip due to weather will be Monday, when the high is supposed to be -14F without windchill.

MTA: Read Oski's post again after Lily told me to. Wink If forced, I run on the indoor track. I get dizzy on treadmills and they're far more boring to me.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

happylily

Oh, I just read Oski's second post. You want advice, not an essay on why I love the TM, I get it.  I say go with the TM. Softer surface is gentler on your legs and joints. And you don't have to worry about other people on the track.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Well I didn't vote; it would've been #3, but I have no credibility as I have been on the treadmill all week. And i have never tried an indoor track. The 18 laps/mile sounds like it would make me dizzy, but I would be interested to try it.

Dave

onemile

For me, this depends on a number of factors:

•  If there is snow on the roads in my neighborhood, I try to avoid anything more than a short, easy run because my delicate calves/ankles do not like running through snow and I'm afraid of getting injured.
                  • Doing too many runs at the indoor track seems to start to bother my delicate left ankle, so I try to switch it up by running outside when I can
                  • Running more than an hour on the treadmill seems to hurt my delicate knees/ankles plus it makes me want to stab my eyes out.  I won't consider the treadmill as an option for any run longer than 6 miles and is really a last resort (indoor track is closed and running outside is impossible and even then I'd be tempted to skip a run instead).
                  • If I need to hit a certain pace for the run and outdoor conditions make that unlikely or impossible, I will choose the indoor option knowing it's what I need to do to successfully complete the workout.
                  • What option sounds the most pleasant (or the least terrible).  If it's -10 out with the wind chill and dark and the indoor track sounds appealing, I will choose that option

Usually I prefer outside, but I've been a bit of a wuss this winter and have been probably doing half of my runs at the indoor track.  Partly because of cold/wind and party because we've been getting a small amount of snow every single fucking day and as a result the roads in my neighborhood are never clear enough to run without a fair amount of slipping around.  However, my indoor track is 3.5 laps / mile. I can't imagine running 18 laps per mile.  Not sure I could do it mentally and pretty sure my ankle wouldn't tolerate much.

Hip Redux

Oh, I just read Oski's second post. You want advice, not an essay on why I love the TM, I get it.  I say go with the TM. Softer surface is gentler on your legs and joints. And you don't have to worry about other people on the track.

Nah, not advice. Just curious!

I always pick the TM.  The constant going in tight circles on the track (at least it feels like I'm always turning) bothers my ITB.

delicate flower

I'd love to have access to an indoor track.  As it is, it's the treadmill for me.

Cold doesn't bother me, but running on snow and slippery roads is useless when you are trying to hit specific paces and do specific workouts.  I am trying to teach my legs to run faster.  Slow runs in the snow won't help with that.

<3

Runshortii

Indoor track > treadmill. However, the indoor track at my gym is 6 laps to a mile, so it's not horrible. I just can't stand treadmills at all. At least on a track I kind of feel like I'm going somewhere.

I try to run outside whenever I can, but it's hard when there's a foot of snow/ice on the ground and the sidewalks aren't cleared. Also it's been in the single digits lately and I'm wuss when it's under 20 degrees!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Track. But just because I refuse to use the treadmill.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

If forced to choose inside, I go for the treadmill.  18 laps/mile is more mind numbing than the treadmill.  At least you can watch TV or something.

I've dine this for over 9 miles. But it was elevated and I could see the people working out so I people watched and it was pretty entertaining. I wasn't limited to the hour only on the treadmills that they did enforce at that gym . And if I had to go to the bathroom I didn't lose the 'mill.

Marjorie

bluerun

Super B****

I'd choose the treadmill if I HAD to run indoors, but not because I find it less boring; an indoor track would slaughter my ITB, chew it up and spit it out so that it could do the same thing all over again.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Yugo8

I pretty much always (fine, almost always ) run outside.

There have been years in the past, however, when I regularly ran on the treadmill.  I didn't mind it so much, and I could do a 2-hour long run on a treadmill without music or TV with minimal psychological discomfort.  Staring into the wall: excellent mental strength-training.  Heh.

About a year ago, i came to a spontaneous decision that I will no longer use/enjoy gym memberships and that I like it better if I get all exercise outside.  So far, I have been happy with this.  I don't have problems running in snow and cold, but my resolve was tested during the high heat and humidity of the summer.  I made it, though, and already shudder at the thought of summer arriving again,.

So, if i had to chose between the track and treadmill, i think I might very well choose the treadmill.