Beginners and Beyond

I won the Marathon de Paris lottery (Read 63 times)

You Rang?

So I got this e-mail saying in both French and poorly composed English saying that I'd won the lottery for the Marathon de Paris.  The email included a link and directing me to follow the link to register for the race.

Here's the really interesting part:  I didn't enter the Paris Marathon lottery.  I'd looked at their website and decided not to enter the lottery.  I declined to enter the lottery for two reasons:  1) Packet pickup was the weekend before the race, meaning I'd either have to cross the Atlantic twice or spend a week in Paris and 2) I'd be required to present a medical certificate from a physician that I am medically fit to run a marathon.  I can't see any American physician in their right mind signing such a piece of paper.

So there is either a phishing email targeting runners centered on the Marathon de Paris lottery, or this is the nefarious work of my wife (who I think would really like for me to run the Paris Marathon).

Either way, I'll let you know.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

happylily

Bonne chance a Paris! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

The medical certificate is a silly thing that shouldn't worry you, as Berlin had the same and it's simple. Wait, I didn't know packet pickup was the week before the race, grrr.

Did you get a code with your email?

I thought you had entered the lottery.  I bet you it was your wife.

PS, see you there!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

You Rang?

The medical certificate is a silly thing that shouldn't worry you, as Berlin had the same and it's simple. 

I thought you had entered the lottery.  I bet you it was your wife.

Docket, you have a decided advantage in getting the certificate.  You have a physician that will do anything you ask, including taking out the garbage.

I entered the Marine Corps lottery and won.

No you won't see me there.  Even if it is legit, I'm not running the Marathon de Paris.

Rick

P.S. I think it was my wife too.  She better start training.

Rick 

Docket_Rocket

Docket, you have a decided advantage in getting the certificate.  You have a physician that will do anything you ask, including taking out the garbage.

I entered the Marine Corps lottery and won.

No you won't see me there.  Even if it is legit, I'm not running the Marathon de Paris.

Rick

P.S. I think it was my wife too.  She better start training.

Well, sir, if your wife signed you up for it, you ARE GOING.  Otherwise, you better be ready to sleep outside.  For a long while.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Does Dr. Athlinks count?  Tongue

You Rang?

I got another e-mail from the Marathon de Paris people.  They are telling me that due to the long weekend (in France) they were extending the deadline for me to reply.  This e-mail has a code in it.

As good of an idea my wife thinks it would be to fly to Paris, pick up my packet, hang out out for a week and then watch me run the Marathon de Paris, she's not owning this.

I'm half tempted to lock down my computer, click on the link, and see where this goes.

Rick

Rick 

Docket_Rocket

I got another e-mail from the Marathon de Paris people.  They are telling me that due to the long weekend (in France) they were extending the deadline for me to reply.  This e-mail has a code in it.

As good of an idea my wife thinks it would be to fly to Paris, pick up my packet, hang out out for a week and then watch me run the Marathon de Paris, she's not owning this.

I'm half tempted to lock down my computer, click on the link, and see where this goes.

Rick

STOP DENYING YOU'RE GOING!

Damaris

Fundraising Page