Beginners and Beyond

Frederick Running Festival Nut Job Challenge RR (5k and HM) (Read 51 times)

Short Version

5k: 27:35, 19/97 AG, 108/762 F, 326/1,262 OA

HM: 2:44:38, 342/401 AG, 2,005/2,415 F, 3,583/4,103 OA

Nut Job Challenge: 3:12:12.36, 104/128 AG, 291/410 F, 534/667 OA

Long Version

This weekend, I participated in the Frederick Running Festival in Frederick, MD. I ran the 5k on Saturday and ran/walked the HM on Sunday (Nut Job Challenge). I had high hopes for these races when I first registered – sub-25 5k and sub 2-hour HM, but about six weeks ago I hurt my knee and haven’t run much since then. I adjusted my goals to be “to try” in the 5k and finish the HM.

I drove up to Frederick Saturday afternoon, checked into my hotel, and headed over to the fairgrounds to get my bib. I didn’t do much in the way of warming up. I jogged to an out of the way area, did a few strides, jogged back, and stretched – 10 to 15 minutes tops. My knee surprisingly felt fine. I then made my way to the staring area and lined up just behind the 9 minute mile pace marker. The weather was really nice for a race, but there were some ominous looking rain clouds overhead. Sid Busch led the race with a minute head start and then 3-2-1 we were off. The race started by going about half a mile clockwise around a gravel horse track. As soon as we exited the track, it started to rain and gust and you could hear all the bibs flapping in the wind. There was even a mini sand/dust storm, but the guy ahead of me blocked me from most of it. We then turned onto the “downhill” portion of the race and into a headwind. About a mile into the race, my lungs started to hurt. At the turn around point, one of the volunteers was calling out on the megaphone, “It’s all downhill…until right here…Then it’s uphill…all the way until the finish.” We turned around and started back up the hill. The wind had shifted, so there was still a headwind. I felt myself noticeably slowing down at this point, but kept pushing. The pain in my lungs turned into cramps that went down into my stomach. I’ve never pushed this hard in a race before. I finally made it to the top of the hill and there was only about a half a mile left until the finish. My legs started to feel tired and I just wanted it to be over. Back on the track, I tried to find some energy to kick, but I had nothing left in me. I crossed the finish line in 27:35, my slowest time by over a minute.

Splits

Mile 1 – 8:19

Mile 2 – 8:25

Mile 3 – 9:26

Mile 3.16 – 1:25 (8:55 pace)

Blue, the Frederick Running Festival mascot.

After the race, I grabbed two bags of chips, a bottle of water, won $4 in Moe’s bucks at a booth, and headed back to my hotel (with stop to pick up dinner from Moe’s, of course).

3:50 AM – The fire alarms goes off. It takes me a few moments to realize what’s happening, but, once I do, I grab my bags (already packed) and head out the door. As soon as the door closes behind me, the alarms stop. As I dig through my bags for my room key, someone peeks their head and looks around. I was actually quite surprised that no one else had bothered to get out of bed for the alarm.

I woke up at 5:30 to get ready for the HM and my knee hurt a bit, but I still thought I’d be able to slowly run the race. I managed to get a great parking spot and ate a granola bar in my car while I waited for people to start lining up. I had signed up for the 2:10 pace group the day before and made my way over to them about 10 minutes before the start. The race began and each pace group was announced as they crossed over the starting mat. I quickly realized that my knee (and now hip) was in no shape to run and considered dropping out, but the road and sidewalks were too packed. I ran/hobbled and willed myself not to walk, but knew I couldn’t keep it up for the entire race. The crowd finally thinned out and I switched from running to power walking as I passed the mile 4 marker. I know walking during a race isn't a big deal to many people, but I felt utterly defeated. There were a ton of spectators, so I’m sure I would have been having a blast if I had been running, but the cheering just made me feel worse. “Way to go runners!” Well, they’re certainly not cheering for me. The worst was when a woman came up to me and yelled, “I know you’re a runner so pick up your a** and run!” I’m sure she said it with good intentions, but I just felt embarrassed. However, there were a couple of people that did encourage me. While going up a hill I saw a sign promising cookies. Lo and behold, there was a couple handing out cookies. I walked up to the woman who said, “You could really use this.” And it was the sweetest tasting cookie I have ever had (King of the Hill fans?). Then, at the bottom of the last big hill, a man who was walking next to me asked if I wanted to power up it with him. I said I would power walk. He started running and I started…well, walking. He stopped to walk about halfway up and I just powered on by him and everyone else. He shouted some encouragement as I passed. Only a few more turns and I was nearing the finish. The race ended on the same gravel track and I told myself I would try to jog the rest of the way. It was slow and painful, but I actually passed some people. Around the 10 mile mark, I had decided my goal would be to finish in less than 2:45 and I just barely did – 2:44:38.

This is me pretending to run by a photographer near the end of the race.

I then collected my two medals (one for the HM, one for completing both the 5k and HM), grabbed some chips and a bottle of water, and stretched for a bit. I then went back to my hotel, showered, and drove the hour back home.

Nut Job Challenge and HM medals.

Splits

Mile 1: 10:28

Mile 2: 10:45

Mile 3: 10:54

Mile 4: 11:05

Mile 5: 12:24

Mile 6: 12:15

Mile 7: 12:50

Mile 8: 13:08

Mile 9: 13:21

Mile 10: 13:28

Mile 11: 13:58

Mile 12: 14:02

Mile 13: 12:55

Mile 13.28: 3:01 (10:42 pace)

Moving Forward

My race weekend obviously did not go according to plan, but I’m not as upset about it as I thought I would be. My knee and hip feel better after this race than my last, so I’m glad I decided to walk or I could have made things a lot worse. From what I can tell, this is likely ITBS, so I’m going to drop out of my next HM (June) and take some time off of running to focus on stretching and strength training. The only other races I have planned for the year are HMs at the end of September and middle of October, so I hope to be able to slowly start running again by the end of June/beginning of July.

Thanks for reading. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hey, a big congrats just for finishing. Was your knee injury running related? That was smart to adjust your goals and run accordingly. I know I would have a hard time dialing back because I always want to race a race. Good luck on getting healthy.

delicate flower

Well you certainly made the best out of a bad situation in that HM.  With a bum knee/ITB, what can ya really do other than drop out?  Sounds like you played it smart by taking it easy.  Spectators always mean well.  They don't know that you're hurt.

Blue is red.  That does not made any sense.  Love the nut job medal.  Big grin

<3

Docket_Rocket

What a way to wake up before a HM.  Sheesh!

Great job, considering your ITB/knee issues prior to the races.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack - Thanks! Smile I assume my knee injury is running related because it just started hurting during a run one day and only hurts when I run. The underlying cause is most likely weak/imbalanced muscles and poor flexibility.

Baboon - Thanks! I was wishing I had a sign that said, "I'm hurt, not tired!" And the nut job medal is awesome! Knowing that it was waiting for me at the finish motivated me to keep going. Smile

Docket - Thanks! At least the alarm went off early enough that I was able to get back to sleep. Smile

Upcoming Races:

GinnyinPA

I remember somebody else's RR last year that had something similar, with the fire alarm going off in the night.  Maybe Presque Isle?  I wonder if there is a runner with a weird and awful sense of humor?

Good job finishing the race, despite the pain. So frustrating and irritating for people to 'encourage' you in a way that only makes things worse.  Good lesson for the rest of us to be careful in how we encourage others.  "You can do it!" is good.  "Get off your ass", not so much.  I hope you manage to get your ITB under control.  I know it's a hard injury to heal.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Congrats on the finish(es).

Btw:  Did anyone notice that 'Blue' was cooked...

Don't call me Buttercup!

Sorry about your hip & knee, but holy moly, you're a fast walker! =)   I love Frederick and the encouragement of the spectators, I'm sorry that it kind of backfired on you.  =(

Congrats on finishing despite everything!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I ran the Frederick Half too!!

I am sorry you've been dealing with injury and had such a rough race Sad I hope you figure out what is going on soon and get back to being the speedy lady you are!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Aw, sorry about the injury Nova.

Way to tough it out even though the results were far from what you had originally wanted.

I hope you can heal up and be well for the later races this year.

Ginny - Thanks! Luckily it was only the one woman who was aggressively encouraging. They all meant well, but I just wasn't in the mood for encouragement. Tongue

Slymoon - Thanks! Smile

Di - Thanks! I haven't raced much, but this was the best crowd support I've seen. I may run this race again in the future so that I can fully appreciate it. Smile

kristin - Thanks! I thought there might be another forumite there, but I've been out of the running scene lately so I didn't think to check. I hope you had a good race day! Smile

Jay - Thanks! I just need to get smarter about my running. And if I don't meet my goals this fall, there's always next spring. Smile

Upcoming Races:

SheCan

Those are some awesome medals!   Hehe@ nut job!  Congratulations for completing both races.  I'm glad you decided to walk though.  A race is not worth a long term injury.  Looks like you made the best of it, and had fun.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sorry about the injury, I hope it gets better soon. Too bad the HM did not go better for you, but good job toughing it out instead of DNFing, and probably a smart long-term decision not to push it any harder.

Dave

LRB

That's tough, and surely disheartening and all of that.

I had some yahoo yell at me to pick it up once while I was walking during a "R" pace workout and I gave him the finger.  I mean first off you don't even know me and second you have no ****** idea what I just ran that has me walking in the first place, fool.

But I digress, you have taken time off to no avail is that right?  Maybe it's time to shut it down for a good stretch.  Whatever the case I hope it all works out for you.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I had just finished an 11 mile run on a very hot summer day....I went into a corner store when I was done to get a cold bottle of water, and then walked home and while I was walking the block home, enjoying my water, drenched in sweat a truck driver pulled up next to me, honked, rolled down his window and said, "You're supposed to be RUNNING. Not taking water breaks!" I could have killed him.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to