Beginners and Beyond

First race back (Read 100 times)

Nevrgivup

Hey guys. Its been awhile. I've been busy with school so I haven't been posting much. I've been managing to get in a few weekly runs thought. I ran my first 5K since Boston last night and it was great. I am so happy to be back in the game. It was a smaller race which had about 200 runners in it. I went in it expecting nothing but to run my hardest and have fun. I also forgot my Garmin, so there was no way tracking my pace along the course.  Many of you know that I was volunteering in the medical tent when the bombs went off and had do see and endure some pretty graphic things. What this did to my psyche is unexplainable and for the last few months running has been a struggle for me. I've been running 3 days a week with my longest runs up to ten miles, mainly for therapeutic reasons. I am super competitive and love to race, but its taken me awhile to get that spark back. Well yesterday, I ran a local 5K race that is held in a local reservoir. Its gravel and dirt roads and is mostly flat. My time was 25:13. I ran an 8:08 pace. I know this is a slower course compared to the roads and I look forward to finding another 5K soon to gauge where my true 5K pace stands. It was also held at night, which is different than the average morning race. The pace I ran is usually my tempo pace. The good news is that I didn't lose much fitness, but will have to do more tempo runs and races to get faster again. This was a very big step for me in the right direction and it feels so good to almost be myself again. I came in 5/12 in my age group. I am in a tough age group, so I am happy with that. Overall, was so great to see my friends again and just be happy.  Thanks for reading.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Dad on the run.

Hey Nevrgivup. Its good to see you back in the game. I can't even begin to imagine what all you had to endure on 4/15. I think its amazing what you do and I thank you for your service as a nurse. I wish you the best and hope to see you around here more often Smile Keep up the great work in both your running and your career!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

Great to see you getting back out there.  Quick question.  How did you feel about running without the Garmin?  I frequently encourage people to race without it and let their body dictate the race.  Usually that seems to work but I'm always interested to hear from folks how they felt.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Congratulations on your first race back as part of your journey to recovery.  You are in my prayers

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's wonderful to see you out there again, a sign that healing has begun.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Nevrgivup

I felt good actually.  I do wonder if I would've picked up the pace if I had actually seen my splits.  I used to race and run for years without a watch. I am pretty happy overall with the pace and not knowing it as I went along though. I paced off a few runners that I knew. I've run this race several times so placed myself with a certain pack of runners. It really is great to be racing again.

Great to see you getting back out there.  Quick question.  How did you feel about running without the Garmin?  I frequently encourage people to race without it and let their body dictate the race.  Usually that seems to work but I'm always interested to hear from folks how they felt.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Awesome. Great to see you back in action, Hilary!

LRB

I also forgot my Garmin, so there was no way tracking my pace along the course.  

In a 5k, if you are hurting, you are on pace.  If not, speed up!  ; )

Good to see you back at it.  It has not been lost that you and our other members who were there were a part of a tragic national event.

delicate flower

Great news, Hilary!  I am very happy for you.  Smile  Great job on the race.

<3

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

HOORAY!  Nice job. Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Congrats Hillary!  Good job.  Night race ta boot?  Smile  And now that I think about it......Thursday race?  Shocked

And don't ever run without your Garmin.  EVARRRRR !!!  Big grin

Randy

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Atta girl Hilary!  Welcome back, and great job 1st time out!

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hilary,

Reading your RR has just made my otherwise crappy morning.  I'm happy to read that running this race has helped you begin to move forward in your battle to over the horror that was forced on you and so many others by a couple of miserable peckerheads.

Hope you can continue in your recovery from this with even greater races!  Smile

Running for TJ because he can't.

bluerun

Super B****

This made me so happy to read.  I can't think of anyone who deserves this more than you.  Great job!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Philliefan33

Great news, NGU.  It doesn't matter what your finish time was, the important thing is that you were happy to be running again.