Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Cleftstrong 5K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 43rd race of 2015.   The Cleftstrong 5K (www.cleftstrong5K.com) is to support those affected by cleft lip, palate, and other craniofacial conditions.  Participant-wise, a fairly smaller event with maybe 150 or so runners and walkers, but one done for a very good cause.  The event was held at Morgan's Wonderland (<cite>www.morganswonderland.com</cite>) a 25 acres accessible amusement park in San Antonio, Texas, USA for children and adults with special cognitive and physical needs.  I ended up 2nd in my age group - there were only 2 IN my age group, lol - with a chip time of 32:30.

BEFORE THE START

Yours truly, with my speedy pal, Bernadette, who is much quicker than me.  I see her before the race and after the race, never on the course, lol, unless it's an out-and-back - then I see her passing me on her way to the finish. Finishing long before me!

photo 019_zpsj0tu7oyy.jpg

Welcome to Morgan's Wonderland!

photo 081_zpsbswkgzqi.jpg

Located on the other side of the park it Toyota Field, the home of the Major League Soccer team San Antonio Scorpions

photo 082_zpsukxofuip.jpg

photo 083_zpsnjngqu4c.jpg

This beautiful sculpture welcomes you into the park after you come through the main entrance.

photo 003_zpsract32pl.jpg

The park has a man-made lake, with fountain included (using recycled water, so no water waste)

photo 012_zpsdoraefc3.jpg

photo 015_zpswc1ixp5u.jpg

The medals and awards waiting for the finishers

photo 047_zpsfdbdfyj7.jpg

Prior to the start, the National Anthem was sung...

photo 004_zpsdogmm99w.jpg

Flag folded

photo 005_zpsrzytsjbo.jpg

..and this guy, now active duty Air Force, gave a very moving and inspiring talk to participants about his overcoming cleft palate growing up, and his children overcoming it too.

photo 006_zpsx9aqfxwr.jpg

This group led everyone who wanted to participate in pre-start stretches and warming up...

photo 009_zpsrhrkcznj.jpg

A few of the participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 001_zpsgzmqn7w0.jpg

photo 002_zps6mx5jhpm.jpg

photo 007_zpsya4v2z3b.jpg

photo 008_zpsm9jd8ebc.jpg

photo 010_zpsapmzd45p.jpg

photo 011_zpsa9yainbk.jpg

photo 013_zpseofiiric.jpg

photo 016_zpss7rvh6qx.jpg

photo 018_zpspmlvrd9w.jpg

Heading to the start

photo 017_zpst9slmgzh.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course took us on a partial loop around the park lake, then out onto the park roads that took us past the two nearby stadiums, Toyota Field and Heroes Stadium, a North East Independent School District stadium uses for a variety of sports activities and events.   Then it was back the way we came to finish in the park.   This is a very nice course and out of all the 5Ks I've done at/near Morgan's Wonderland, this is the BEST course of them all because we get to go through the park, instead of just running around the adjacent parking lot roads.

On the other side of the park, looking across the lake

photo 020_zpsimil6mor.jpg

Heading toward Heroes Stadium

photo 021_zpsfcuby7rl.jpg

photo 024_zpsmynovrae.jpg

photo 026_zpsonfnfgrx.jpg

Toyota Field behind me

photo 022_zps6p78ty1d.jpg

photo 025_zpsaptfgszi.jpg

photo 027_zps09uxkk4z.jpg

Looping around Heroes Stadium

photo 023_zps6kjbif6v.jpg

photo 028_zpshtj6p8nm.jpg

photo 029_zps7y4rxoss.jpg

photo 030_zpsp1fduwvp.jpg

photo 031_zps7s3jbz8z.jpg

photo 032_zpsvx2usqyd.jpg

photo 033_zps7jl1ob9x.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

This lady and I ended up finishing together

photo 036_zpsqp8qytg2.jpg

photo 034_zpssno2xnl5.jpg

iaapweb.com doing the race timing and results lists. I do a lot of their events over the year and all the iaapweb.com folks are great people and do a great job.

photo 040_zpsa64fnzqq.jpg

Finish Line volunteers had fruit sticks waiting for anyone who wanted them.  Other goodies post-race included breakfast tacos and snow cones.

photo 041_zpsnmanpfvq.jpg

Happy Finisher Scottydog.  A photo for my fellow members of Team RWB San Antonio (Red White & Blue) a veteran's organization that has many chapters across the nation.   Although I personally think San Antonio as the best team of all.  Not that I'm biased or anything.

photo 048_zpsfdjqrlyy.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 038_zpsbjkzltqv.jpg

photo 039_zpsnzrncgnk.jpg

photo 042_zpsdgtmkisw.jpg

photo 043_zpsksshjeok.jpg

photo 044_zpsmsiw0xsw.jpg

photo 045_zpspxfhnqq1.jpg

photo 046_zpsctehwxb7.jpg

photo 049_zpsl1st8bl8.jpg

photo 050_zpseicpoqbw.jpg

photo 051_zps1j72yzvc.jpg

Me with the lovely Chelsea, the Race Director, who did a great job organizing all this.

photo 052_zps3t5syimc.jpg

Not the lovely Chelsea...but you still look good you 4 guys!   

photo 053_zpsr8spcikb.jpg

photo 054_zpskpgtc8qn.jpg

photo 055_zpsrlyk7qhu.jpg

She was so speedy, she had to take a short nap after the race to recover a bit...

photo 056_zpszzpj5dbb.jpg

.The lady on the far right is an exchange student from France and got an award for the 'farthest traveled participant."  I got to practice my very bad high school french, which I hope she understood, lol.

photo 057_zpsep8an3nr.jpg

photo 058_zps39i8ngqx.jpg

photo 059_zpsifpptz0z.jpg

photo 060_zpsb9xvs3xk.jpg

photo 061_zpsd6gxsva8.jpg

photo 062_zpsvuvjj14f.jpg

photo 063_zpsdaidcmgn.jpg

With the young lady who sang the National Anthem

photo 064_zpsdsvi1a1g.jpg

photo 065_zpsn4kfhhps.jpg

photo 066_zpsxz9w8ro0.jpg

photo 067_zpsis2yxuom.jpg

photo 068_zpsxrl7axj7.jpg

Two of my favorite people in the world, Minnie and Jose, from iaapweb.com

photo 069_zps99rvwmmr.jpg

photo 070_zpsw7uz4ljn.jpg

photo 071_zpshu5kbapo.jpg

photo 072_zpshwtcko6k.jpg

photo 073_zpsvbrmraht.jpg

photo 075_zpsqyu8bhua.jpg

Bernadette's friend Roger was 1st in his age group and also got a Yeti Cup for being the oldest male participant.

photo 076_zpsyzs43hua.jpg

1st place in her age group, my pal Bernadette

photo 077_zps2qhokcwj.jpg

photo 078_zpsa3vmxjul.jpg

photo 080_zpswsudjju4.jpg

Our MC from MID Sounds.  He did a great job.

photo 074_zps94jctmbe.jpg

EPILOG

Kudos to the organizers!  A very nicely done event and one for a very good cause, so hopefully this one will grow in the future.  Plus - BONUS - if you bought a raffle ticket to help raise money for the foundation that helps with cleft palate  there were quit a lot of prizes, including Yeti cooler-bag, Yeti cup (for keeping things cold and warm), San Antonio NBA Spurs tickets, etc.  I was really surprised how much stuff this small event had to give away, it was really nice. Also done on a Sunday morning, so not too much competition at all from other local events, although at this time of year lots of runners and walkers are probably doing their training distances for the upcoming December San Antonio Marathon and Half.  Even so, for runners looking for a nice friendly race to do on a Sunday morning in September, this one is great!  Definitely would recommend it to my fellow runners.  Y'all look for this one on the race calendars next year.

Mucho thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., all the folks who got this one together for we participants!

And thanks to Mother Nature who gave us such a great day, blue skies, a bit of sun and best of all 69 degree temp, low humidity and dew-point in the 50s....nice!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a well organized race.  Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Looks like all of you had fun at this one. Nice that the weather is finally starting to cool off.