Beginners and Beyond

RR - Ashenfelter 8k - attempt #6 at sub-40 (Read 55 times)

music_girl117

So I’ve been trying to run a sub-40 minute 8k or 5 mile race for almost two years.  Here’s my history:

Attempt 1: 40:35 for 5 miles on 1/1/14

Attempt 2: 40:04 for 8k on 4/12/14 (d’oh!!)

Attempt 3: 40:44 for 5 miles on 1/1/15

Attempt 4: 39:30 for 8k on a possibly-too-short course on 3/14/15.  No dice.

Miles 5-9 of April HM: 39:58 (encouraging, but too close to call, and unofficial in any case)

Attempt 5: 40:57 for 5 miles on 7/12/15 (personal worst&hellipWink

Oof.  The races I’ve done in 2015 were all poorly executed, pace-wise.  That last one was particularly mentally painful; at that point I had a 6:39 mile PR and 22:53 5k PR, and yet I couldn’t for the life of me manage 5 miles @ under 8:00.  But, I had my chance today at the Ashenfelter 8k in Glen Ridge, NJ.  For those not up on their track and field history, Horace Ashenfelter won the gold in steeplechase in the 1952 Olympics, and yes, he was in attendance this morning!  Cool.  I don’t think he ran though (not surprising given his age).

Last week, to get my head in the game, I ran 5 miles straight at 7.7mph on the treadmill (7:47 pace) and it was ok.  Tiring, but not like a race effort.  I knew I could do this (of course I’ve said that before), so I made a plan that I would go out NO FASTER than 7:40 to 7:45 for the first two miles. After that I could speed up if I felt ok, or hold the pace if not, and I should be able to get the sub-40 with some wiggle room.

Very crowded at the start, so it took some time to reach the line, and there was a whole lot of dodging and passing the first half mile or so.  I kept an eye on my watch to make sure I wasn’t going too fast.  The pace felt quite slow, but I reminded myself that this was not a 5k, it should feel slower.  First mile was 7:57, a little slower than the plan, but I had no problem with it.  Had some nice crowd support starting the second mile; a lot of folks came out the sidewalks to cheer and give high-fives, and some even offered water.  Mile 2 was 7:38; good.  Faster than the 7:40 to 7:45, but the first mile had been slower, so it was ok.  I started getting a side stitch in the third mile, as I always do at this distance, but I focused on a very strict 2 in, 3 out breathing rhythm, with the exhales coming exactly with my footfalls, and kept running through it.  Slowly but surely the stitch faded. Whew.  Took some water and knocked back mile 3 in 7:36.  I was really feeling pretty good!  Nice and loose, happy to be running on a gorgeous day (46 degrees, sunny, no wind) and a holiday no less.  Near the end of mile 4 we passed the finish line going the other way, and I cheered for one of my teammates who squeaked in a 29:56, good for him!  Mile 4 was 7:32, nice and steady!  My glutes were starting to feel it a bit, but I was overall ok.  We peeled away from the finish area for a small loop before coming back around.  I spent awhile near a guy on the brink of throwing up; yuck.  I was glad to get away from him.  I’d been warned about a hill at mile 4.5, so I slowed my pace a bit but made sure to push again at the top.  Now it was just like 0.4 miles straight in to the finish, flat as a pancake.  I bided my time and when my watch said 4.75 I cranked it up to full-on kick.  My goal was to pick off other girls, since I knew the top 100 finishers of each gender would get a special mug, and I thought I had an outside shot.  I flew in as fast as I could and stopped my watch without looking.  I jussst missed the mug, alas, but my final mile was 7:15, jeez! (and that was with that hill!!).  With one additional second after the 5 mile mark, total time by my watch of 37:59.  Yeeeeeeeee-haw!!

I am really over the moon that I broke not just 40 but 39 and 38 as well!  After 2 shitty 5k races the past couple of months, my confidence was not that great.  To hit such a solid time with such a strong last mile in distance that’s been my nemesis for so long is really beyond what I expected.  I am very thankful!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats on blowing away your 8K PB!  BTW Vladimir Kazantsev, the Russian who finished second to Ashenfelter, was a KGB agent. Aschenfelter worked for the FBI.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Brilliant

That's fantastic!  Congratulations!

LRB

Yeeeeeeeee-haw!!

This made me LOL!

Little Blue

Another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust ..

Way to nail it!  Now have another piece of pie, because you earned it!

LRB

Congrats on blowing away your 8K PB!  BTW Vladimir Kazantsev, the Russian who finished second to Ashenfelter, was a KGB agent. Aschenfelter worked for the FBI.

In a match of wits, you would give google a run for its money. lol

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Quote from wcrunner2 on 11/26/2015 at 12:23 PM:

In a match of wits, you would give google a run for its money. lol

Chris Brasher, who was one of the runners who helped Bannister break the 4:00 barrier was also in the final. Along the way Kazantsev set an Olympic record of 8:58.0 in heat 1, Ashenfelter broke that in heat 3 by 7 seconds, then set a WR in the final running 8:45.4. That was the same Olympics where Zatopek ran his famous triple winning not only the 5000m and 10000m, but also the marathon in his first try at the distance. Meanwhile my penchant for running history is distracting us from music_girl's fantastic race.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRB

Chris Brasher, who was one of the runners who helped Bannister break the 4:00 barrier was also in the final. Along the way Kazantsev set an Olympic record of 8:58.0 in heat 1, Ashenfelter broke that in heat 3 by 7 seconds, then set a WR in the final running 8:45.4. That was the same Olympics where Zatopek ran his famous triple winning not only the 5000m and 10000m, but also the marathon in his first try at the distance. Meanwhile my penchant for running history is distracting us from music_girl's fantastic race.

Ooh, a new way to post! Thank you, we'll have a blast with this!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ooh, a new way to post! Thank you, we'll have a blast with this!

Just a little creative cut and paste.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Congrats! You have run 6 more races at this distance than I have. But the way to get better at any distance is to keep at it.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sheesh!  I would have counted any of the ones you ran sub-40! But damn, you broke the sub-40 easily!  Great job!

Damaris

Ric-G

way to finish strong, that is excellent...congrats!  and saying "over the moon" is pretty cool too.

marathon pr - 3:16

MothAudio

This was anticipated. Not only were you close [on suspect courses] but following your training this result was simply a matter of time. Not really surprised you crushed the sub-40 barrier like you did. Respect.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  That was an incredible race.

PADRunner

Congrats!