Beginners and Beyond

Think Tank Thursday Penguins! (Read 27 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today feels like a Tardigrade Thursday!  Tardigrade:  slow paced. 

I SO did not want to get up today and ended up sleeping in for another 30 minutes.  My own fault as I stayed up last night to finish a book I was reading and did not get to bed until 12:30 a.m.  When you go to bed at that time, it seems like  5:30 a.m. (the time I usually get up in the morning on work days) rolls around awfully quick after that!  Today may be a power-nap-at-work day.

Another beautiful day in San Antonio today, sunny and 85 degrees.  Will go out after work and do 3 - 4 miles, as usual.  I wish I could be like some of the rest of you and get out there and knock out 10 miles or so with no problem!  However, my stupid old back just won't allow it anymore, causes me too much pain to do distance running these days.  So I guess I'm now stuck for what remains of my running life with the shorter distances. 

OK, pity-party over.  For an old dog who's been running 30 years, I'm not doing too badly and in my previous 'good' days I had a pretty good run - pun intended.    So I can't really complain.  It is what it is and I'm just happy to be able to get out there and do anything.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Nice vocabulary word Scotty! Definitely a Tardigrade Thursday for me - five of the slooooowest miles I've run in a while on the treadmill, my legs just did not want to wake up.

Dad on the run.

3 miles after work with a buddy then another 6 miles tonight with the Fleet Feet group. We will see how this works out for me...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning  !!!

Have fun with the running group Jimmy.

Hope the legs wake up Lauren.

Take care of the back Scotty.  You are an inspiration.

AFU, the nice weather lasted 1 day.  Now its pouring slush.  I think we will take an RD and try a LR tomorrow.  Off to finish my 20 hours.

Happy Thriday !!!

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

I'm up early today (CA time) to try running before work - hope it still seems like a good idea later 

Have a great day!

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Not enthused about having Scotty's weather + since two weeks ago, so keep it.

SRD # 7.  ONe week down!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am going to run OUTSIDE soon for the first time since February 9th. It is going to get up to FORTY DEGREES today and it looks like they have fully cleared the path in the park....yay!

Last night I went swimming. I did a few minutes of deep water running....wow what a workout!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Docket - How long before your cleared to run again?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Minor change in plans... I can't go to yoga tomorrow so I am going to go to a 10:15 class today and then run after. I hear there is a lot of black ice outside now, so waiting til later is probably a good idea anyway.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Morning!  Intervals went pretty well last night, and today is a RD.  Zoe's back issue has come back, so I'm dropping her off at the vet on the way in to work for another steroid shot.  They have to put her all the way under for the procedure, but luckily just for a few minutes.

Jimmy- Good luck with the double!

Scotty- You might not be going out for 10 easy miles, but you CAN race back to back 5Ks, then get up the next day and do it again!  Hope it was a good book that kept you up!

Lauren- 5 miles are still 5 miles, whatever the distance.

Jerry- Enjoy the RD!

Bacon- Hope you liked the morning run!  It usually makes me feel so much more awake at work.  But I still prefer evenings, I think.

D- Progress!

kristin- Sounds like you will get to run outside and in the daylight! Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I saw those pre-emptive complaints about summer, what are y'all thinking???  I am SOOOOO ready for nice warm muggy weather!  I'd rather run (i.e walk) in 85 than 35 any day!  Anyway, it won't be quite as warm today, but I'm hoping for a walk in the mid 50's this afternoon.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!!

Scotty -- I've definitely done that before.  MUST FINISH BOOK!!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your sleepy-legged run!!

jblack -- have fun with your multi-miles!!

Jerryb -- stay safe in the pouring slush!!

Bacon -- hope your pre-work run went well!!

Docket -- woo-hoo for your first week done!!

kristin -- have fun on the clear 40-degree path!!

Zelanie -- hope the shot helps poor Zoe!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hola Pens! Today I will continue my training plan of not running. The good news is my knees don't hurt today just walking around, so that's progress. A few more days and I'll be able to swim/cycle if I want. Bad news is both feet are killing me, due to all the limping/hobbling I did during the race Sunday and since then.

I'm whining but really it's all good. In the grand scheme of things, some inflamed tendons aren't really a big deal. On the scale of health issues a 44 YO guy with Type 2 diabetes can have, ITBS ranks about #3,457 on the list.

Perspective alert: 18 months of running has caused me to have blood sugar readings identical to a person without diabetes, and get off 3 of the 4 medications I was taking. So boo hoo if I had a crappy race, amirite?

hog4life

I'll catch up on personals later. 5 running and 5 biking.

Dad on the run.

Hola Pens! Today I will continue my training plan of not running. The good news is my knees don't hurt today just walking around, so that's progress. A few more days and I'll be able to swim/cycle if I want. Bad news is both feet are killing me, due to all the limping/hobbling I did during the race Sunday and since then.

I'm whining but really it's all good. In the grand scheme of things, some inflamed tendons aren't really a big deal. On the scale of health issues a 44 YO guy with Type 2 diabetes can have, ITBS ranks about #3,457 on the list.

Perspective alert: 18 months of running has caused me to have blood sugar readings identical to a person without diabetes, and get off 3 of the 4 medications I was taking. So boo hoo if I had a crappy race, amirite?

This is awesome! I'm a firm believer that a lot (not all) of health related issues can be alleviated with proper diet / exercise.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.