Beginners and Beyond

2013 Goals (Read 581 times)

Rubybaby43

enabler

• Run the 1400 miles I pledged for the 2013in2013 games

• Remain "uninjured", though the ankle and elbow thing may never get better

• Run sub-2:00 at my next HM

• Run a sub-25 5K

• Non-running related -- test for third degree already...I've put it off long enough

KLO

more miles = more beer

Docket_Rocket

• Lose 30 lbs (the last 15 I had to lose at the beginning of the year and the 15 I found over the summer while injured)
      • Stay injury free
      • Run consistently
      • 1000 miles
      • First Marathon
      • Shave a few more minutes off my HM PR (1:56:39)
      • Run at least 10 of the 12 races that my local running club puts on. 

I cannot wait to see that one from you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

In order of importance to me:

1.  Stay uninjured.

2.  Run a marathon in under 3 hours.

3.  Run at least 2,750 miles.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

CiscoGuy

I went through 2010, 2011 and 2012 without injury and wish to continue that streak in 2013.

Run more than in 2012 -- not allow my job to interfere with my running as much as was the case these past six months

Set another PR and continue to take my AG

LRB

1 Mile 5:50, Never ran a mile all out...

Can I modify my goals to include a 1 mile race?  That would be awesome!

Hilary, I took swim classes at the age of 42.  When I finally overcame my life long fear of dying in the deep end of the pool, I was on cloud nine of the planet Jupiter!

B-Plus

Run

Can I modify my goals to include a 1 mile race?  That would be awesome!

Hilary, I took swim classes at the age of 42.  When I finally overcame my life long fear of dying in the deep end of the pool, I was on cloud nine of the planet Jupiter!

Sweet, then I have 7 more years to learn how to swim.

I cannot wait to see that one from you!

Thanks, Damaris.

I have signed up for one in October.  So here's hoping I can get back on track.

Losing the weight will help as will getting back to running consistently and building my mileage.   I'm hoping this week off work will get me back in the swing.   Still feeling some tightness in my glute area.  But was just reading LRB's comments about MRTYL exercises in the dailies and I think I just really need to work some of those into my routine.

You can call me Anna

LRB

Sweet, then I have 7 more years to learn how to swim.

The sooner you do it, the better off you will be.  For adults, learning how to swim has a lot to do with letting go of inhibitions.  It's as if you are jumping off of a building for the first time.

Once you figure it out however, you will want to keep jumping, and jumping, and jumping, and jumping!

B-Plus

Well, I can somewhat swim, but not in a very relaxed way. I move my arms and legs so much because I'm afraid I'll sink - so I need a break at the end of one length. I can go in the deep end, but I'm too chicken shit to jump in.

LRB

But was just reading LRB's comments about MRTYL exercises in the dailies and I think I just really need to work some of those into my routine.

Here it is (link).

Here it is (link).

Awesome.  Thanks, LRB.  I will watch it this evening.   Sounds like they really helped.

I have been having pain in that area since spring and while it is better than it was it has never really subsided entirely.   And that was on the heels (no pun intended) of Peroneal tendon issues - that seem to have resolved for the most part with orthotics.

You can call me Anna

LRB

Well, I can somewhat swim, but not in a very relaxed way. I move my arms and legs so much because I'm afraid I'll sink - so I need a break at the end of one length. I can go in the deep end, but I'm too chicken shit to jump in.

I have been there.  It's an excruciatingly long process to dive head first into water because adults don't dive head first into anything.  Kids can however, because they have yet to form inhibitions.

It's like asking yourself to stand in front of a speeding car, or not to duck when someone throws a rock at your head.  Diving head first into water goes against everything we think we know.

LRB

Awesome.  Thanks, LRB.  I will watch it this evening.   Sounds like they really helped.

Ironically, if I would have looked this video up when Heidi first told me about them, I would be fully healed by now!.

Oh well, better off today than tomorrow, but still not quite as good as yesterday.

runmomto3boys

Ironically, if I would have looked this video up when Heidi first told me about them, I would be fully healed by now!.

Oh well, better off today than tomorrow, but still not quite as good as yesterday.

I give Rick/aka RPFlash for introducing them to me.  I am grateful for that tidbit of info!  I'm glad you are doing 'em!

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I guess my 2013 goals are in my tagline? I'm confident that at least a few of them are attainable, with enough work.

First up, the 10k goal which would put me in the top 30 of the St Patrick's Day Road Race!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)