Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Can Weather Every Storm That Comes At Them! (Read 35 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

don't know if I am getting any snow here at home but I have to drive 75 miles east, then go about 75 miles north, then it will be 70 miles southe west to get home. The two places I am going to are expecting 9-15 inches. Hopefully it will start later in the day.

As for me I ran 3 miles after work (the second time I have strayed from my plan ). Also did 30 minutes easy on the bike trainer,myrtl, and core.

I should also mention that I have a race today - I'll be racing home to beat the storm!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - good morning.  We only received about 5 inches according to what I see outside.  However, the kids have no school again.  I am sure it is nothing like the East Coast has received.

AFM - RD yesterday.  I would like to run after work but am thinking that it will be tough to fit in.  Well, let's say it straight, I'll be exhausted; I will have to cook dinner; I will have to run the snow blower for the driveway; I won't want to run by the time all that is done.  LOL  Then again, I may try to sneak a few miles in.  If not, Saturday I'll get a few in.  We leave tomorrow early afternoon for our cruise.  I cannot wait!

I did not get the Director position.  While disappointed I can tell you I'm thankful about not having to sell this house and move.  LOL  I interviewed well and that is all that matters at this point.

Have a great day!

Jen16226

Good morning.

I figured let me get on early and say hi before the day gets away from me yet again.

SRD yesterday and today, although I wanted to do some strength training yesterday, it just didn't work out.  My phone had died, which was a warranty replacement for a warranty replacement, and since I live in the middle of nowhere, 30 miles to Verizon to try and deal with it.

Tomorrow I have my first 5K since I last pulled the hamstring in October.  I am nervous, excited, apprehensive.  Like I've said, the goal is to just do my best and see how it feels.  I am more concerned with how the hamstring will feel going all out in a run.

I do have a question.  It is going to be maybe 20 degrees for the race.  This is the first cold weather race I have done.  Since I am only a 5 minute drive to the start, do you think it would benefit me to do a warm up on the treadmill here at home before I leave, then once I get there do a little bit more light running and my stretches or just save it until I get there?

We are only getting 3-4 inches of snow today and tonight.  I hope those of you on the coast all stay warm and safe.

Gustav- Be careful driving and great job on the 3 miles!!!  How did it feel?

N-Bug- Enjoy the cruise!!!  Good way to look at not getting the job.  Moving certainly sucks!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

hog4life

Jen, IMO, I would do all the warmup at the race. It would give me a shell shock with the difference in temps, too much hot, cold, hot, cold.

Morning Vance and Gustav.

I need a swift kick in the butt, I have not run in 2 days, and I just got this don't give a darn attitude right now. I will see how things feel tonight when I get off work. I need to run 6 if I'm able.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

Gustav- love seeing you running!

N-Bug- Sorry about the job Sad but yay for vacation!

Jen- good luck at your race!

hog- *KICK!!* Get out there and RUN!!!

SRD for me today. Made it to 8:30pm yoga last night. So even if it snows a ton I don't need to worry about getting my weekly yoga in! Funny thing happened on the walk home from yoga... they were filming the show Mob Wives at a restaurant a few blocks away, and the Mob Wives came barreling out of the restaurant just as I was walking by, followed by a camera man, and no one saw me in my shortness and I was almost trampled by the women and knocked in the head with the camera. They had to reshoot the take of the women walking out of the restaurant cuz of me...lol.

Stay safe and warm those Penguins affected by the snow that's a-comin!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Happy Friday P's!

Gustav -- if you can get your travelling done before 4 pm, I think you'll be okay.  But there might be snow falling by the evening rush, and we know what happens to traffic around here under those conditions .

Vance -- Sorry you didn't get the position.

Jen -- good luck with the 5K.  I would do the warm-ups outside at the race site.

Mitch --here's another KICK.  Get out there and get it done.

Kristin -- that's a funny story!  I've seen a bit of Mob Wives while on the TM at the gym ...I don't get the appeal of those kind of shows.  But someone must be watching or they wouldn't be filming.

AFM -- SRD today.  With the snow predicted tonight into tomorrow, I will probably flip-flop my Saturday LR to Sunday and just do about 5 miles tomorrow.  By Sunday it is going to get above freezing and the roads should have less snow on them.

I have a PT appointment this afternoon for my shoulder.  I hurt my left shoulder at the end of October (cleaning up after Hurrican Sandy), then again in early December.  I self-diagnosed a rotator cuff injury, and thought time and rest would let it heal.  My ROM kept getting worse, to the point that my arm was pretty useless, so I finally went to see an orthopedic on Monday.  He took an x-ray, diagnosed me with "frozen shoulder", gave me a cortisone injection, and prescribed PT.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Phillie good luck with the PT appointment! I don't watch the show or get the appeal either....  I've watched a few minutes here and there at a friend's place.... But it was still funny to get run over by them casually walking home from yoga!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning,  Kristin, Margo, Mitch, Jen, Vance, and Gustav.  We only got a few inches of snow in Chicago, so we'll be back on a track sometime today.  Hope DW calf is better.  Maybe catch an Oscar nominee movie later.

Have a great weekend.  Be careful in the storm, Kristin.

hog4life

Margo, my wife had a frozen shoulder a couple years ago. I can offer some opinions if you need them.

Bin Running

Vance, glad you look at it that way. You never know. Sometimes, life has other plans for you. Enjoy the cruise.

Mitch, get out there and run.  I need you to do your best at your HM. I'm using that time as benchmark. Tongue

Going out to do a 30 mins jog to test that ankle in a moment.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Margo, my wife had a frozen shoulder a couple years ago. I can offer some opinions if you need them.

Sure, I'd like to hear about her experience.

At my appointment on Monday I was examined twice -- first by the PA-in-training, then by the M.D.  The PA offered the opinion that it was probably a rotator cuff injury or tear, and they would probably want to get an MRI to see what damage I had.  Since I am young and active (I guess -- compared to the old farts I saw in the waiting room), he suggested an aggressive treatment plan.

The M.D. thought that I probably just had arthritis or a little tendonitiis that led to the frozen shoulder.  Right, doc...the acute, extreme pain while reaching into the backseat of the car in December had nothing to do with it.  I just decided not to move my arm for two months because of a little tendonitis. Roll eyes.

Whatever.  The cortisone got me some ROM back, and hopefully the physical therapist will figure out what I need to do to get my arm back.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 recovery miles tonight.

I am in Court and already in a foul mood.  First, some asshole took our parking (this is marked parking at the courthouse but apparently the marshals tell everybody ours is empty so people use it like it is).  Then, I get here and get an email about donuts AT THE OFFICE.  Crap.  Somebody better save me a donut before I cry, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Hi penguins!  Have to head out soon to an early meeting.  I got my 6.5 in last night but then was up way too late.  But my kinvaras did arrive so I got to wear them!  They are so light it's incredible!  I have to admit I worry that I'm not a "real" enough runner to wear them.  Is that silly?

Vance- Since you know you rocked the interview, it sounds like maybe it just wasn't the position for you.  Hopefully the next great opportunity is just around the corner.

Kristin- My bet is that your body thinks you "tapered" when you took time off!  I know I was about a minute faster coming back from my IT band injury than I was before.  I thought I might slow back down once I was back to my old mileage, but that didn't happen.  I just kept my new faster pace, although the effort felt the same.

Margo- Hope the PT does the trick for you!

Damaris- Here's a donut for you to use today:

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Jen!! Good luck tomorrow!! I can't wait to see how you do, you might have to text me and let me know because I'll be thinking of you all day until I get home!!!

I work 7a-330 tomorrow and Sunday!!!

Good morning.

I figured let me get on early and say hi before the day gets away from me yet again.

SRD yesterday and today, although I wanted to do some strength training yesterday, it just didn't work out.  My phone had died, which was a warranty replacement for a warranty replacement, and since I live in the middle of nowhere, 30 miles to Verizon to try and deal with it.

Tomorrow I have my first 5K since I last pulled the hamstring in October.  I am nervous, excited, apprehensive.  Like I've said, the goal is to just do my best and see how it feels.  I am more concerned with how the hamstring will feel going all out in a run.

I do have a question.  It is going to be maybe 20 degrees for the race.  This is the first cold weather race I have done.  Since I am only a 5 minute drive to the start, do you think it would benefit me to do a warm up on the treadmill here at home before I leave, then once I get there do a little bit more light running and my stretches or just save it until I get there?

We are only getting 3-4 inches of snow today and tonight.  I hope those of you on the coast all stay warm and safe.

Gustav- Be careful driving and great job on the 3 miles!!!  How did it feel?

N-Bug- Enjoy the cruise!!!  Good way to look at not getting the job.  Moving certainly sucks!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37