Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Can Weather Every Storm That Comes At Them! (Read 35 times)

From the Internet.

Hi guys!

1.25 mile recovery jog (at actual recovery pace and not too fast! So proud of myself! Big grin) and weights this morning. Deadlift is starting to get tough (165lbs today) so next workout I'll try power cleans with just the bar in their place.

There's a great club in my city that has two track workouts a week with coaches (3 when they move to the outdoor track) and various other group runs. I met with one of the coaches this morning to discuss the club and my background/goals/recent injury-laden past before officially joining. Super excited to have a little more structure and someone to hold me accountable, especially given my tendency to go too fast/inability to keep myself healthy. I'll send out my past week's miles with notes to the coach every Sunday and get feedback and a plan for the next week.

A little sad, but at the same time a big load off my shoulders - I've dropped the April HM from my schedule in favor of staying healthy and making gradual increases. Once I'm running in the 20-40 mpw range with 8-10 mile long runs with no ill effects, I'll think about targeting a fall HM as my first. I'll be going to the track workouts but staying very conservative with how fast and how many reps I'll do, especially for these first few weeks back from shin splints. Feeling very excited about having a plan of sorts again and some IRL people to help me out - you all are wonderful but it's much easier to back off if someone tells me to do so in person Wink

Docket_Rocket

It's Scotty's birthday?  Happy Birthday!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

The HM will be there next year.  Better to get back on track now and run injury free.

Hi guys!

1.25 mile recovery jog (at actual recovery pace and not too fast! So proud of myself! Big grin) and weights this morning. Deadlift is starting to get tough (165lbs today) so next workout I'll try power cleans with just the bar in their place.

There's a great club in my city that has two track workouts a week with coaches (3 when they move to the outdoor track) and various other group runs. I met with one of the coaches this morning to discuss the club and my background/goals/recent injury-laden past before officially joining. Super excited to have a little more structure and someone to hold me accountable, especially given my tendency to go too fast/inability to keep myself healthy. I'll send out my past week's miles with notes to the coach every Sunday and get feedback and a plan for the next week.

A little sad, but at the same time a big load off my shoulders - I've dropped the April HM from my schedule in favor of staying healthy and making gradual increases. Once I'm running in the 20-40 mpw range with 8-10 mile long runs with no ill effects, I'll think about targeting a fall HM as my first. I'll be going to the track workouts but staying very conservative with how fast and how many reps I'll do, especially for these first few weeks back from shin splints. Feeling very excited about having a plan of sorts again and some IRL people to help me out - you all are wonderful but it's much easier to back off if someone tells me to do so in person Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

The HM will be there next year.  Better to get back on track now and run injury free.

Yup. I'd much rather put in a strong performance next year than do a death march for the last 5+ miles and have to take weeks off to recover this year.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - I'm in the same position, coming back from injury and having to decide whether to just build miles slowly over the next several months or try to race this spring.  My head knows I should wait.  My heart wants to race.  Since that's how I got injured in the first place, I know which I should listen to.  Congratulations on deciding to wait - it can be hard to be patient.

Gustav - good luck outracing the storm.  Be careful out there.

N-bug - I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but as you said, there is a bright side too.

Jen - good luck on your race tomorrow.  Have you trained in those temps?  My first 5k was 28 or so, and since I did my running in the afternoons, I wasn't ready for that cold.  I overdressed, of course. And I got there way too early, since I had no idea how many people would be trying to register with me that morning. Funniest part was all the people hanging out in the bathroom before the race, trying to stay warm.

Mitch - go find a trail to run, or someplace new and different.  Alternately, just go do it!

Kristin - ouch!  I hope they apologized profusely.

Margo - good luck with the PT.  My husband has occasional shoulder issues and the exercises really seem to help.

Bin - way to go on your run.  Three miles was a pretty long test for a first run post injury.  I hope there is no pain tonight.

Damaris - did they save you a donut?

Scotty - are you getting hyaluron (sp?) shots in your back?  My husband had them in his knee and they helped for about six months.  My brother had them in his back and they worked longer for him.  Sounds like you'll have perfect weather for your race - just watch out for the horses, bulls and clowns.

Jerry - hope your wife's calf is okay so you can run together.

Hopesmom - your life is very busy.  Hope you find some time to run in there.

AFM - wet sloppy snow outside, but no accumulation is expected.  I'll do 3 on the TM later.

Zelanie

Cherie, thank you! My secret weapon is that I'm willing to work hard and can be boringly consistent.

Singer who runs a smidge

Huh.  My major flaw is that I'm a big wuss and appallingly inconsistent.  There may be some wisdom there!!  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lauren- I understand how hard it was but it sounds like the right decision for you. I'm wrestling with the uncertainty of my spring racing plans myself. I think I am going to drop my April 10K to take the pressure off me building back my mileage too quickly.... I don't know yet. Injuries suck, lol.

Zelanie- Enjoy your new shoes. I have a confession to make.... I just ordered ANOTHER pair of new shoes. But my new shoes in another color were 20% off online so I jumped on it.... lol. You are definitely a REAL runner!!!!

Home now just as the weather started getting bad. Not leaving my apartment for the next 24 hours lol.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I MADE IT HOME!!!  I woke up this morning to a foot of new snow, and nobody had plowed the parking lot.  My little car fought like a champ to get out of that parking lot.  With a little bit of help, we made it.  Then, I hit a 6 mile stretch of unplowed road.  Luckily, I never had to stop, or I never would have gotten going again.

Not sure if I'm running tonight.  I usually wouldn't tonight, but I've been cutting my miles a bit for the 5K this weekend.  I might go for a short run just to keep my sanity.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Cherie, thank you! My secret weapon is that I'm willing to work hard and can be boringly consistent.

+1 Good for you!  That's the way to do it.  LOL@hopesmom, yeah, I don't really believe you.  You seem like an achiever.

Lauren- hugs to you.  Don't try to second guess yourself, and in the long run you'll be better off and more injury resistant.  What a hard decision that must have been for you!

Scotty Happy b-day!

Awood- glad you made it home in one piece in that snow.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Awood - I'm glad you made it home safely.   Will your race be held tomorrow?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Only 3 miles on track.  I was beat from the start, maybe from my treadhill workout yesterday.  DW and her sore calf was fine today.  I keep telling her that the foam roller is the cure-all for all runner ailments, but she does not believe me, or the internet.

No movie, DD took us out for brunch in the city in payment for doing her taxes for her.

Scotty, I'm with you on the DIY.  Don't see why I should screw something up myself, when someone else can do that for me.  Oh, I do my own taxes...thanks TaxAct.

Sloooow.

Lauren- It must be really tough taking things slowly, but you know it's the absolute best thing to do. Kudos Smile You'll be back where you were in no time.

Ginny- Hope you get your 3 in!

Jerry- 3 miles is much better than 0 miles, it's not "just 3 miles"! Nice work on the run.

Scotty- Happy maybe birthday? Haha

Colour Run tomorrow, going to be an early start as it's in New Orleans. As it's a fun run, I'll be taking it easy and enjoying myself. Short run today followed by some incline walking, so I guess I cross-trained? Lol. Next race is a Susan Komen 5K on March 16th. My surgery is February 22nd so I'm not sure if it will happen. I should be good though!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks guys!  I'm used to driving in snow, but this was a little sketchy.

The race is actually on Sunday, but I might go to early packet pick up tomorrow.  They also have a new live results spot on their website.  So, I'll know my time, and where I placed as soon as the race is over.  That's cool.  I'm toying with the idea of using my Nike+ to help me pace for a sub-25 min 5K time.  I think I might have to wait and see how strong the GPS signal is.  If it's weak, there's no point.  The weather looks like it's going to be above freezing Sunday.  So, it should be a great race.  Only one steep hill to worry about, and my last 5K was slick wet wooden boardwalks with steep inclines and declines.

Anyway, Pewpewpew should be off of work soon.  I'm surprising her with spaghetti and meatballs.  The meatballs should be ready soon!  I hope she likes it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

awood you're a nice fiance! glad you made it home! Good luck on your race!

Coralie have fun at the color run!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to