Beginners and Beyond

Blue Ox Marathon RR (Debut) (Photos added on pg2) (Read 114 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

TL;DR: I ran my debut marathon. I held my goal pace through 17 miles and was heading for a 3:45. Then I started giving back time and came in at 3:59:52. My "C" goal was sub 4, so I barely hit it. I felt like crap after I finished.

Long version:

I'm like most of you. Actually the people I'm not like are those who started out in good physical shape and/or at normal weight. I started out a 29 year old overweight guy who couldn't run for a few minutes. My first year of running consisted of a handful of 5ks, the fastest of which was 27Tight lippedx, so basically 9 minute miles. Yesterday I checked something off of my bucket list, and the reason I started running over 2.5 years ago.

After my first year of running I started training for the 10k but then realized when I was reguarily running 6 miles that I should go for the HM instead. My second year of running I ran one or two 10ks, a 15k, a 10 mile and 3 HMs. I wasn't very fast, clocking all of my HMs in over 2 hours.

I trained hard over the winter. There are no races from about December until Marchish, when the Saint Patrick's Day races begin. My plan over the winter was basically work on half marathon type training, but at a higher intensity. I was hitting the intensity, just not really the distance. I wasn't doing a LR on many weekends, so my average mileage was only in the high 20s or low 30s.

In February I started training for 3 HMs that I would run in April, May and June. I actually started putting in something resembling a LR and had a few 40 mile weeks, and even a 50 mile week. I ran the first 2 in 1:53 and 1:54. I wasn't too crazy about that, because the word is if you double your HM time and add 20 minutes, that will give you a ballpark of where you can finish a FM. So I wanted sub 1:50. Well, the Gary Bjorklund HM (HM that goes with Grandma's) gave me a 1:49:05. Before that race I wasn't sure of what the rest of the year would look like. After that race I had only 1 thing on my mind: My debut marathon.

I had a couple of weeks off after that race to recoup a bit. I still ran about 30 mpw. I landed on a Marathon training plan, grabbed a calendar and realized I only had like 15 weeks. It wasn't terrible because the first 4 or so weeks were just base building in the mileage that I was already running. So I started in week 4.

Training went fine. I was actually running pretty well. No injuries and my time trails were pretty good. First was a self-timed 5k, at 22:52. Not too shabby. Then an actual 10k race, 44:59. Awesome! Then I looked at my training calendar and a real calendar: I had miscounted. I don't know exactly how it happened, but with a month to go I had 5 weeks of training to do. So I had to pick one week to toss. I ended up cutting the week before the final week, and then I chopped the distance of my last LR from 15 miles to 10 miles. The previous "last" one called for an 8 mile LR, so it was almost half way.

I did my taper: the week prior was 47 miles then the Monday - Friday leading up to the race was just 16 miles. My legs felt great. But you know wasn't great? The weather. Race time weather was 46, windy and rain.

My plan was to bring a small garbage bag with and just wear it whenever I needed. I could fit it in my pocket and it would work out. I've actually raced in them a couple of times, and besides being really noisy they work out. I also thought I'd employ a new tactic: Using throw-away clothing. I knew the day would start out cold and it take me a couple miles to get comfortable. So I brought with a cotton shirt that I'd ditch at an aid station. They actually told us that anything thrown there would get returned to the finish line.

Starting time! I got there early, did packet pickup, hand an odd encounter with a Canadian, and hit the bathroom. I knew there'd be rain so I slathered my feet in vaseline and got my race wear on. To the starting line, listen to the national anthem and the Canadian national anthem (I bet that doesn't happen at many races).

We're off! Yeah, everyone was doing sub 8 pace to begin with but then I settled in to an 8:30 pace. Btw my goal pace was 8:35. So I just let it work itself out until I was sitting at 8:35 - 8:40ish. I wanted to keep it at or just under GMP through the half way point. I met a guy who was running my exact pace so I chatted with him a bit and hung with him until mile 10 or so when he needed to stop and take a leak. He was saying he wouldn't mind hanging with me until Mile 20 or so. When I saw him at an out and back I commented "See you at Mile 20!" Little did I know I would actually see him earlier than that.

As I mentioned earlier the weather wasn't particularly nice. We had a South wind of 20 mph. We also had precip. ranging from a fine light mist to rain. With the wind behind me from miles 8 to 17 I kept it at or just below GMP. I was running good, people were telling me I looked like I was running effortlessly. I felt the same way. It was going great! I did employ the use of gels. I took them starting at mile 5, and every 4 miles after that. I took a total of 5.

My time at the half way point was 1:52:22. I was on pace to go 3:45! After 17 my pace started faultering a bit. At 18 I hit a 9:50, about a minute off. I did start walking up hills and jogging through the aid stations. When I hit Mile 20 I was going directly in to the wind. The rain was really going now, I was glad I used vaseline on my feet. I had taken off my cotton shirt at mile 8 or 9 because the precip. had lightened up and I was running with the wind. I put my cotton shirt back on because I thought it'd be warmer with that and my little garbage bag on then just the garbage bag alone. It started to suck.

Truth be told is they didn't have a whole lot of aid stations on the back half. I was actually looking for a porta-pottie so I could take a leak but I didn't see one until Mile 24.

When I did hit Mile 24 I knew I was way off the pace I had set on the front half of the course.  Yeah, I gave back 7 minutes and 30 seconds. I checked my Garmin at the Mile 25 marker, and I had 12 minutes almost exactly to go until the 4 hour mark, and I had 1.2 miles to go. I needed 10 minute miles to make a 4 hour marathon.

I got in and out of the last aid station and just briefly walked so I could drink. Then I kept moving. I actually met another runner in the last mile, and passed her. Then I saw the finish line area and I start running! I saw the clock, and it said 3:59:20 (or so I thought)! My mom was there and she surprisingly said "ANDREW!" I threw my arms up in the air as I crossed the finish line! I later learned that the clock probably said 3:59:50. My official time was 3:59:52! Wow, talk about close.

I did what everyone does, and forgot to turn off my Garmin. I walked a bit, and found my step-dad. I kept walking, but noticed my calves were cramping - a lot. I've run 6 HMs to date, and normally I'm a little crappy but this was pretty bad. This was my debut so I didn't really know how to feel. I grabbed a banana and some water and sat down in side next to the door.

I was sitting there rubbing my calves and I started to shiver a bit. Then I started to shiver a bit more. Crap, I have a  totally soaked cotton shirt on. It's 46 degrees outside and whenever someone opens the door I'm getting blasted by 20 mph winds. I took off the shirt and my mom grabbed a few coats for me.

I started feeling light-headed. This was a first for me. My mom found a medic and he had me eat a couple of bags of chips and eat a few orange slices. 15 minutes and many concerned looks later and I was feeling pretty well. My DW and DD were there too, and fortunately they drove me back to my in-laws where we were staying.

Today I'm feeling sore. My knees are sore, and I don't know if that's normal. My feet are sore, but I guess that would be. I'm achy.

Really I think the shivering was pre-hypothermia brought on by me keeping on my cotton t-shirt after I was done running. Hopefully I don't repeat that again. I need to have a good change of clothes ready.

Salt and sugar got me fixed up after the run. I'll defintely go back to those after my next race, but my question is - is there anything I can do during the race? I'm wondering if that impacted my times. I was running pretty good through 20 miles but then I basically started tacking on 1 - 2 miles per mile on from there on out. I did take 5 gels (Clif) which contained 4% my DV per.

Pictures to come.

Thanks for reading. I am a bucket-lister, but I wanted to do it right. I do plan on keeping on running, after all I've been doing it almost 3 years.

- Andrew

B-Plus

Congrats on completting your first marathon Andrew. While it didn't go exactly as you had would have liked, hopefully you learned something from it and will learn in the answers to your question.

I don't have any specific suggestions to offer. Your mileage seems decent for a marathon, but sometimes you just need to build one cycle off another to get to that level of required fitness. I'm too lazy right now to think about your shorter race times, but hopefully your goal was reasonable and attainable. Sometimes you put in all the training, but something is just off on marathon day. Welcome to the strange mysteries of this distance.

Congrats again

hog4life

Nice debut, congrats! Mine is in Dec. I can't answer your questions at the end, but I wonder if taking something more than GU would help. I'm trying to eat protein bars on my LR's, and have even tried peanut butter-n-crackers. Better have a bunch of water if you try the crackers, ha.

Congrats! A sub-4 debut is very impressive. And if you don't feel like crap after your first marathon (with a huge positive split), you aren't doing it right. Wink

Sounds like you made the best of a lousy weather situation. Extrapolating HM times is tough to do without more experience; not sure you could've realistically expected to do much better than you did. Keep up the high-mileage training to continue building fitness level, and you should continue to improve.

Dave

Zelanie

Congratulations!  I am happy that you got through your first with a finish and a sub-4 even! Smile  I think the rest of it just means that you're human and you were running your first marathon.  That's still a lot of stress on the body, and you're still fairly new to running, at least as far as the full is concerned.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for the detailed report Brrr, gratz on your first marathon.  Your experience is similar to mine so perhaps I can offer some advice.  You clearly outran your fitness levels, resulting in the fade over the last 8 miles.  You ended up with an almost 16 min positive split which points to lack of endurance.  Those early 8:35's took too much out of you.  Had you paced for a 3:55 you would have likely had a better feeling at the end, but of course that is all hindsight.

For my debut marathon in January, I trained for 6 months at 25-30 miles per week, peaking at 45 just 1 time. I targeted a sub 4 goal, which is a 9:09 pace.  I held that till mile 19 at which time my pace dropped to 9:50, and by mile 20 it was 10:20 mpm.  I am proud to say that I did not walk the final 8 miles (but they all sucked) and it was really an effort to keep going.  I now know I was undertrained for a sub 4 and was fortunate to finish in 4:12.  Yes I felt like crap, yes it hurt alot.  This time I now have many 40+ mile weeks in the books and feel really comfortable targeting for a 3:50.

So I would say recover, look long range to see if you want to run another at an even pace for a more enjoyable experience.  If so than pick a plan and given more training a 3:45 is entirely possible.

Again, contratulations on being one of the 1%'rs (the small percentage of population to have finished a marathon).

Hip Redux

A sub-4, even if not your A goal, is a great debut marathon for a new runner.    I can't speak directly to training but in general what I've found is that going through the experience gives you a lot of knowledge for the next time to try to tackle something - what to tweak, what training, etc.   Sometimes you just have to do it once.    I have no doubt you have 3:45 in you. 

PADRunner

A tough race and great debut! Congrats!

happylily

A goals are not meant to be hit often. Hitting your C goal on your debut marathon is very honorable. Congratulations, Andrew! That's a very good first marathon finish time, not achieved by many runners. Be proud.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great job, Brrrr. Those conditions sounded pretty miserable but you still got your sub 4 goal. I hope you are feeling better today and be sure to move around or go for a walk. Even though you are feeling like crap, you should still be very proud of yourself. Well done!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, even though you didn't hit your A goal.  Whether it was achievable, only you can tell, but sub-4 is still a great time!  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

Congrats!  Going sub-4 on your debut is a huge accomplishment.  I liked that you included your running background -- what a successful and satisfying running journey.

I think your physical condition at the end reflected how hard you were pushing yourself under difficult weather conditions.   You just took your body right to very edge of what it was capable of that day.   And, yeah, the hour or so after a running a hard marathon is never particularly pleasant in my experience, plus you were dealing the cold and wind.

Life is good.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Way to stick it out, and work your butt off for that C goal.  Like everyone else, I think a sub-4 debut is great.  I recently had a friend who's gotten his half down to the low 1:30's, and his debut turned into a 4:07 struggle.  So, you didn't do too shabby.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Pinktastic

Way to go, Andrew!  Those conditions were tough, but you ran well.  You should be so proud!  Now that you know what to expect, I bet you can train perfectly for that A goal.  HUGE Congrats!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

RSX

Congrats and great debut. I had ecstatic and satisfactory time goals for each marathon I ran. When I hit either I was real happy. I think that you should congratulate yourself.