Beginners and Beyond

Onemile's Houston Marathon RR (Read 42 times)

onemile

TLDR: 3:08:28. Almost 7 minutes PR

Why Houston?  I wanted to pace at the Lakefront Marathon again so I needed to choose a race that would work around that. Indy Monumental was my first choice but the date didn’t work out so I looked at other options for decent sized, fast marathons and Houston looked like the best option.

Training.  I had kind of a rough summer – despite running less mileage, I was sucking at workouts and feeling like I wasn’t recovering and then sucking at races.  I decided to start working with a new coach, which was the best decision I could make.  Because I was pacing the Lakefront Marathon in early October, it was a shorter training cycle and my coach really would have liked more time to work with me to get me ready.  Still, I ran the most miles I ever have.  7 of my 10 highest weeks ever. Two monthly mileage PRs.  Peaked at 90 mpw.  I also focused on eating healthy and managed to lose 10 lbs.  Training went well – My workouts were faster than ever.

Goals.  I had two tune up races planned but neither ended up working out. My half marathon was canceled due to a big snowstorm and the 5 mile race on NY had a snow covered and slippery course so I DNSed. So my workouts were the only thing I had to gauge my pace.  Based on my long run workouts I decided a 7:00 pace seemed reasonable so that was the plan.  I was thinking I had a good shot to run in the 3:03-3:05 range and my coach thought maybe even faster.

Race Day  When I arrived in Houston it was 70 and humid and I was very, very grateful that a cold front arrived on Saturday night.  With the cold front was a bunch of gusty wind (I think 15mph sustained with wind gusts to 25mph), but I had done both of my long hard workouts on windy days so I was not too worried about that.

I did not sleep much at all the night before and woke up with a mild headache which was a little concerning. But I drank some sports drink, coffee and had breakfast and it went away. (I drank a ton of water the two days before the race so I really don’t think it was dehydration or anything?)

I decided to check a bag so I had warm clothes after the race and when I arrived at the start corrals I found out that the bag check was actually in the convention center, not at the start line (stupid of me not to read up on that beforehand. I just assumed) – so I had to go ~ 5 blocks to the convention center to drop my bag and by that time I was stressed and rushing back to make my corral before it closed (I was within a few minutes but it was all unnecessary stress)

I made my way up near the 3:05 pace group and after a short wait the race started.

My plan was to go out a little slower than goal pace for the first couple miles and ease into it but I was running right next to the 3:05 pace group and my watch said I was running at 7:45 pace??  It was rather congested and I was thinking maybe the tall buildings were throwing off my GPS. I didn’t want to waste energy weaving anyway.  But then I reached the mile 1 marker and my pace was 7:39 so I picked it up and went ahead of the pacer.  But then I could hear them talking about how they were going to make up for lost time and shortly they passed me. Lol

Miles 1-5 (7:39, 7:07, 7:01, 7:02, 7:02)

I didn’t feel great but I didn’t feel awful like I did at my last marathon.  More like a regular run.  My plan was to try to keep my splits in the 6:55-7:05 range so I focused in on that.  The wind was strong and gusting but mostly it was a side or tail wind for these first few miles.  I took my first gel around mile 4.5 (Maurten). I was planning to try to take 5 of them during the race.

Miles 6-10 (6:56, 6:41 - I am sure this is GPS error based on the mile marker, 7:04, 7:02, 7:09)

I kind of felt like it wasn’t feeling easy enough during the first 10 miles but was hoping things would improve.  I took my second gel a bit after mile 9 and then shortly after I would burp and feel / taste the gel rising up in my throat. I thought I might not keep it down and was going to end up puking. I never had that happen before but it continued to happen a couple more times over the next 4-5 miles.

The course was actually prettier than I expected – there were some nice tree lined streets and the spectators were great.

My hips were feeling kinda tight and I thought my legs were feeling more fatigued that they should be not even 10 miles into the race.  So I was a little concerned but trying to stay positive.  Also the course direction changed and we started to get some headwinds.  I also sort of felt like I needed to pee which was annoying (I probably drank too much pre-race because of feeling headachy)

Miles 11-15 (7:01, 7:06, 7:13, 7:06, 7:22)

Mile 13 was the only real hill on the course (overpass) – there are a couple small ones in the last couple miles but really just this one.  I was kind of discouraged with my pace slipping a little over the last couple miles and felt like the race wasn’t really going as well as I hoped. I checked my time at the half and figured I was on pace to a high 3:06 something but wasn’t very optimistic about holding it based on how I felt.

Miles 16-20 (7:07, 7:15, 7:16, 7:17, 7:14)

Around my 16 I decided to attempt to take another gel. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to but I thought I had to try so I managed to eat most of another packet.  Also I was doing a lot of self-talk at this point and really trying to keep pushing hard.

The crowd support at Houston was unlike any marathon I have run and that includes NYC and Boston.  I have never heard my name being yelled over and over. Way to Jenny! You got this Jenny! Looking good Jenny! It was amazing and honestly it helped me so much. Because really I was struggling from mile 16 on. My pace was slipping and mentally it was hard knowing I had so many miles left.  But I worked way too hard to give up and run another freaking 3:15 marathon

Miles 21-26 (7:17, 7:24, 7:10, 7:20, 7:06, 6:55)

Mile 21 I took my 4th gel and at mile 22 I stepped wrong and almost ate the pavement but I caught myself but my ankle was hurting a good minute and it took me a little to recover.  With 4 miles to go, I had a good talk with myself and told myself to get my shit together J so I put my head down and tried to keep pushing as much as I could.  I knew if I could keep things under 7:15 I should still be able to run under 3:10 (if I didn’t I would be wearing hot pink racing briefs at my next race due to a little bet I had going on with my coach).  I was having a hard time with the math at this point and figured it would be close.

My calf felt like it was threatening to cramp up and I wasn’t sure it would hold up but I pushed it hard the last mile.

3:08:28 was my finish time.

When I initially contacted my coach and he kept asking what my goals were I told him I wanted to run a 3:10 marathon and that seemed like a dream but somewhere in the past few months I started to get into shape and I really believe I have a faster time in me.  So part of me is thrilled to finally have broken out of my 3:15 plateau and run a freakin’ 3:08 marathon! But the other part of me is a little disappointed because I am fitter than that!  But mostly I am happy. I haven’t raced in a while and PRed at NOTHING last year so this is a very good start to 2020.

GinnyinPA

Way to go, keeping it together. A 7 minute PR is huge. Congratulations! Did the later Maurtens sit better than the first one? Will you use them again?

Docket_Rocket

First of all, congratulations! I am so glad you took that monkey off your back and broke 3:10 with a vengeance. And in a race you weren't feeling your best. It shows how tough you are.

I agree that you have a faster marathon in you, so now you have a goal at Chicago, Big grin But for now, enjoy this new PR cause I am sure your coach is planning new tortures for 2020...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Very nicely done. Marathoning is hard even when you're trained for it, yet you managed to hang tough and get that 3:15 off your back which must've felt like a building after 3 years! Phew!

onemile

Way to go, keeping it together. A 7 minute PR is huge. Congratulations! Did the later Maurtens sit better than the first one? Will you use them again?

yes, I didn't have any issue after taking the last one.  I think it's back to Gu.  I have no desire to experience that again in a race.

I was so freaking happy to see you finally bust through and blow the doors off one of these things. You obviously earned every bit of it with that insane training cycle. Tracking you, I started to kind of get nervous about breaking 3:10, but you totally picked up steam in the final miles to make it not even close. Particularly impressive if you were struggling since 16; a testament to both your mental toughness and your level of fitness. I know you were hoping for closer to 3:05, and I’m sure you had it in you, but of course so many things have to go right and it only takes one or two things to go wrong. The wind definitely cost you some time, hard to say how much. Anyway, in the end you came up huge. Way to go!!

One question: In addition to people calling out Jenny, did anyone look at your shirt and call you Mona?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the huge PR! Ugh on the burping up gel, I had that happen before and it is an awful feeling.

onemile

I was so freaking happy to see you finally bust through and blow the doors off one of these things. You obviously earned every bit of it with that insane training cycle. Tracking you, I started to kind of get nervous about breaking 3:10, but you totally picked up steam in the final miles to make it not even close. Particularly impressive if you were struggling since 16; a testament to both your mental toughness and your level of fitness. I know you were hoping for closer to 3:05, and I’m sure you had it in you, but of course so many things have to go right and it only takes one or two things to go wrong. The wind definitely cost you some time, hard to say how much. Anyway, in the end you came up huge. Way to go!!

One question: In addition to people calling out Jenny, did anyone look at your shirt and call you Mona?

Yeah I felt the 3:10 slipping away too and really had to fight to get it back!

I did get one "Go Mona"!

onemile

Congrats on the huge PR! Ugh on the burping up gel, I had that happen before and it is an awful feeling.

I really thought it was going to come all the way up.  I wonder if maybe I took the first two gels too close together? With Maurten you are supposed to be able to take more of them but I didn't really practice that

RunningOnSand

First of all, congratulations! I am so glad you took that monkey off your back and broke 3:10 with a vengeance. And in a race you weren't feeling your best. It shows how tough you are.

I agree that you have a faster marathon in you, so now you have a goal at Chicago, Big grin But for now, enjoy this new PR cause I am sure your coach is planning new tortures for 2020...

All of this. 

Jenny, a 7-min PR is huge. HUGE!! I can also totally understand being a bit frustrated that your finish time didn’t convey your level of fitness, and the time you are capable of. I wonder what a few more training blocks will bring you?! 

have you and your new coach talked about upcoming training plans, prior to (and leading up to) Chicago? I’m amazed at how you handled the high mileage plus killer workouts. Do you have any ideas on why last summer was so shitty in terms of recovery and why you felt so crummy?

that sucks about the Maurten. Good thing you know GU works for you!

Cyberic

Let's start this with a big congratulations!

You've earned this, and I'm glad you know you have more in you, because you do. Not saying your 3:08 is disappointing, not at all actually, simply that with more time with this training regimen I think you'll be faster. I've actually been taking notes about your training Wink

Gels: I get that gagging feeling every marathon on my third Gu, or if I'm lucky on my fourth. Haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully going back to Gus will work for you. I, on the other hand, might try Maurten but your RR tells me I better practice, just in case.

Looking forward to checking out your upcoming training

shu_runner

I'm just a lurker, but I love watching your progress over the years.  Excellent work.  Enjoy that PR!

onemile

have you and your new coach talked about upcoming training plans, prior to (and leading up to) Chicago? I’m amazed at how you handled the high mileage plus killer workouts. Do you have any ideas on why last summer was so shitty in terms of recovery and why you felt so crummy?

he has made some comments about things he wants to try next training cycle / paces / goals and plans for spring but not too detailed or specific, but I really don't need to know. I like to take it a week at a time.

I never figured out the answer to why I felt bad this summer.  I eventually got my iron tested even though it felt different from a low iron issue and it was the highest it's been tested at. So who knows.

onemile

Gels: I get that gagging feeling every marathon on my third Gu, or if I'm lucky on my fourth. Haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully going back to Gus will work for you. I, on the other hand, might try Maurten but your RR tells me I better practice, just in case.

This wasn't a gagging feeling when taking the gel - this was like 15 minutes after eating it, I was having it reflux up into my throat. Do you have that too?  It's like my body was not digesting it and wanted to get rid of it..  this happened 3x after taking the 2nd Maurten...

onemile

Thank you!  The training this time around really didn't even feel like torture compared to some of those overly hard Addie workouts that made me want to quit

Very nicely done. Marathoning is hard even when you're trained for it, yet you managed to hang tough and get that 3:15 off your back which must've felt like a building after 3 years! Phew!

Thanks - for sure it did and I lost a lot of confidence from that!

I'm just a lurker, but I love watching your progress over the years.  Excellent work.  Enjoy that PR!

Thank you!