Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Mirror Mirror On The Wall, Am I The Smartest Of Them All? (Read 51 times)

LRB

He did give me this AWFUL knee brace though and told me to wear it to run. It is HUGE (over a foot long...goes mid thigh to mid calf) and it makes it really hard to bend my knee. Not sure if I will actually run in it.....anyone have experience with a brace like that? I did buy an ITB strap last weekend...may stick to that instead...

You said all those nice great things about you new doc then ended it with insubordination lol!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You said all those nice great things about you new doc then ended it with insubordination lol!

Haha true...lol.....the heinous brace was his only error. Damn that brace! I think I hate it because it is a lot like the brace I had to wear for 6 straight weeks every waking moment 5 years ago when I tore my quad tendon. The brace was the same size, but had metal stays in it so I couldn't bend my knee at all. It was during the summer too, so it made me hot, sweaty and miserable.

Question.....I am going to try running in this brace....wear it over or under tights?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Great news, Kristin!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

@runjerseygirl

Killer spin class today.  11.5 miles.  Hills, sprints, pain.  The good kind.  I'm hungry.

Do you even run?

runmomto3boys

Kristin: That is great news!  I'm so happy it is nothing more serious.  I had IT band stuff in December - it stinks - but hopefully it will resolve soon.

Scrape: Nice work on the 10 spot!

Kay: Awesome job spinning!!!!

Bruce: You needed those zzzzs!  You'll get 'em tonight!

LRB: Nice running!

Zelanie: OMG!  Two jobs and then running!  You are awesome!

Jedi: Great run today!

Code: Nice work on the 4 - I hope the 6 today go as well!

Hilary: What a run today!!!!!!  Incredible job, girly!

Paula: I hope the cross-training and running goes well today!

Sparker: Nice job working out with the personal trainer!!!!

Strengthening work done.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Just got back from a 1.45 mile run outside, and it was the BEST!!!! I'm going to be smiling all day from it. I am so SO glad I decided to use my liberal amount of time on my day off work to go run outside instead of the dreadmill even though it was going to be such a short run. It felt SO GOOD to be out there...my first outdoor run since January 12th. My jogging path by the water with a view of the Statue of Liberty and NYC skyline beats a stuffy gym any day! 30 degrees, no wind....beautiful. And...NO PAIN! I wanted SO BADLY to keep going after the 1.45 miles but I needed to restrain myself. I ran the exact same distance and route as the only 2 runs I went on in January, and after both of those runs I ended up with extreme ITB/knee pain for days afterwards, so I didn't want to push it. I did power walk for another mile and a half though after though. And this was my first real run in my new shoes and I LOVE them. And the brace really wasn't so bad at all. ANNNNND here's the best part:

I don't know how this is possible, but I ran my first mile in 10:26, and averaged a 10:36 pace overall. UMMMM....WHAT? My 5K race pace of my 5K PR was 10:48. And that race was HARD. My training runs are usually around 12:00mm, sometimes a bit more (up to 13:00 sometimes during long runs). This did not feel hard today. I looked down at my Garmin after about a minute into my run and saw 9:45! I forced myself to slow down a bit, looked down and saw 10:05! I was concentrating on quickening my cadence and shortening my stride, maybe that made me run faster?? I have no explanation for this, as I am coming off running only 3 miles in January, and only 2 very short (10 min and 12 min) runs on the treadmill so far in Feb. Meh, I'll take it though. Now, fingers crossed for no delayed pain!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Pinktastic

Happy Thursday, Runners!

What a CRAZY day!! I hate it when I don't get to read what y'all are up to until after lunch!!

LRB – Thanks for the laugh! What a great run you had this morning! I hadn't thought of using visualization before – thanks for the tip!

Basya – Hope that the gym time went well this morning! Have a great workout tonight as well!

Tom – Enjoy your run today! I don't envy you working 12 hour days though! How long do you have to do that?

Flarunner – Sorry that your run was “hurty”, but good job getting it done!

Kay – Sounds like your spin class was delightful! That's great!! Have a great afternoon!

Damaris – Boo to the asthma issues yesterday! And, good luck with your run tonight! You go, girl!!

Lily – How are you legs feeling today? Springy, I hope! Have a wonderful run tonight!

Heidi – Nice run last night! You are so consistently amazing! May tonight's run be Pinktacular!

Beth – NEGATIVE 22? Holy cow! I like cooler temps, but that's completely crazy! Enjoy your coached swim tonight!!

Dave – Hope the recovery miles do exactly what they should! Have a great day!

Phil – I'm glad that you checked in – I was wondering if you'd be doing better today, and I'm glad to hear that you are!! Hang in there! You'll be back running soon!

Nevrgivup – You are definitely one busy woman!! Awesome run today! Way to go!!

April – I hope you had a great group run last night. Enjoy your rest day! If you decide to do tomorrow's 5 today, then I hope you KILL it!

Bruce – I hope that extra sleep has been beneficial today. Have a beautiful run outside tonight!!

C0de- Be careful in the snow! Hope your run is Pinklightful!

Zelanie – 6.5 after all those hours at both jobs? Wow! I hope that your miles go by quickly and that you feel so much better afterwards!

Scrape. - Yay for clear roads! Way to get your run done early today!

Scott – I hate it when I forget stuff that I need! Very frustrating, although in the long run, it's usually not such a big deal. Sounds like you were able to make do for today. Have a great run tonight!

Jedi – What a great run this morning! Your workouts always sound so challenging!

SIAR – Love the quote! Thanks for sharing! Have a Pinktabulous run today!

Kristin10185 – That is amazing news! I'm so glad that the appointment went well and that you're cleared to run again! Let us know how your run with the brace worked out.

Paula – Enjoy the weight class and the recovery miles later! Have a great day!

I ran 10.53 this morning. I tried to use the "coaching" feature in the app on my phone to help me run at a consistent pace, but it just irked the hell out of me and I had to turn it off after the 2nd mile. It would constantly be telling "slower", "faster", "steady" whether I did what it said to or not - very annoying! And, then when I set it to 11 min / mile and it "coached" me to a 10 min / mile 2nd mile, I had enough. Thankfully, after I shut that off, the rest of the run was much better - it was faster than the 11 min / mile I was trying to run, but at least I wasn't irritated.

Have a Pink-mazing afternoon, all!! And, may your next run give you the confidence to reach your dreams (running or otherwise)!!

- Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Bit of a run fail for me today. I couldn't get my legs to move for either of the two quality workouts I had considered. The real trouble was, I didn't realize this soon enough as I did the first 6 miles at easy pace and felt fine. Had I felt it sooner, I'd have just done recovery miles. I ended up with a little over 10 miles, and even though I don't really buy into "junk" miles, these were pretty close to it. I'll likely take tomorrow easy since I have about 34 I'd like to run on the weekend.

Pink...nice job on your run. That doesn't sound like a very good coach feature to me lol.

Kristin...glad the brace worked for you and that you pulled off such a strong pace.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Ball of Fury

Hi Dailies!  Someday I will get here early enough to do personals, but yeah, today is not that day!  Had my first tempo run of the Hanson HM plan today, so 5 miles @ GHMP (8:00/min).  With wu and cd, it was total of 8 miles, with the tempo portion done @ 7:58/mile average.  It was a good run in that I was able to complete it, but it felt harder than I would have liked.  I am hoping it's just because it is the first tempo of the cycle and that they will get easier as I go!  Hope everyone has a great day!

Kristin:  Good news!!  Be sure to ask the PT about the Graston technique as it really helps ITBS.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Talkative bunch today.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I feel a bit better but most of the morning was touch and go.  Even in Court.

Anyway, since I felt so crappy I signed up for another marathon.  Eventually, the asthma will get it.  Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awesome, Damaris! Which marathon?

Talkative bunch today.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I feel a bit better but most of the morning was touch and go.  Even in Court.

Anyway, since I felt so crappy I signed up for another marathon.  Eventually, the asthma will get it.  Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

....and I'm sorry you're still feeling crappy Sad

Docket_Rocket

LA. Big grin

Awesome, Damaris! Which marathon?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jess runs for bacon

LA. Big grin

Deena Kastor is running that one, jealous!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner