Beginners and Beyond

Richmond Marathon, the good, the bad, the PR (Read 70 times)

Mmmmm...beer

IMG_1068

After almost two thousand miles of training, in the heat, in the rain, on a treadmill while underway onboard an aircraft carrier (including a treadmill PR of 22 miles!), my second marathon is in the books.

The Anthem Richmond Marathon was everything I was told it would be; great course, awesome crowd support, and a fast downhill finish (almost too fast, more to come on that later!).

This was my first travel race, and even though I didn’t have to travel far, anytime you’re not racing from home, the logistics can be daunting.  I can’t give enough thanks to my dear wife, who made a checklist to make sure I wouldn’t forget anything I’d need on race day, and it worked flawlessly.  We arrived at the expo around noon on Friday, I’m not big on expos anymore, but we wanted to check it out, I ended up grabbing a hat and shirt.  Then it was off to the hotel, relax for a bit, grab some dinner and then early to bed.

Race day!  After months of preparation, it’s finally here.  The weather is absolutely perfect, cold, but perfect.  Forecast was for around 30* at the start, only warming to about 40* by the time I was hoping to finish.  I opted for shorts and a long sleeve shirt under my Running Etc Ambassador Team singlet, with a hat and gloves of course.  Turned out to be perfectly comfortable, just a touch warm towards the end of the race, but not bad at all.

IMG_1046 (1)

There was one glitch pre-race, which would end up haunting me later, even with my usual pre-race routine of oatmeal and coffee, I was unable to get the mail moving prior to the start of the race.  Oh well, no choice but to race and hope for the best.  After waiting in the longest port-a-potty line I’ve ever stood in, I barely made it up to my corral for the start.  No warmup for me.  Found my wife at the start, got a kiss for good luck, took off my throwaway sweats and did a lil dynamic warmup while waiting for the start.  Oh, almost forgot to mention, the 12yo girl that sang the National Anthem, did one of the best live renditions that I have ever heard, it was amazing.

And we’re off!  Who needs a warmup when you have race day adrenaline?  Had no problems getting on pace.  As I had been told by other runners familiar with Richmond, the first 10 miles are the easiest, I can definitely see how people get tricked into going out too fast.  Pace felt great, scenery and crowd support were awesome.  Love the neighborhoods and running along the James River.  There was a fair amount of wind coming across the Lee bridge, luckily I was in a group of about 10 or so people at that point, and we tucked in tight going across the bridge to help minimize the effect of the wind.  Unfortunately, I was on the wind side of the pack, but someone has to do it, right?  Overall tho, the hills and the wind weren’t bad at all.  I didn’t do any hill training and had no problems tackling Richmond’s rollers.  Saw my wife again at the turn at mile 16.5, where she snapped this picture, I’m moving so fast I’m just a blur (that’s me with my arm up, waving and yelling, “I love you!”, to which a woman next to my wife asked, “Do you know him?”, nope, just some crazy runner yelling “I love you” to random women along the course). Smile

IMG_1048

Remember that pre-race glitch I mentioned earlier?  Well, around mile 17 or 18 my body decided it was ready.  My pace started to slow, another runner caught up to me around mile 18, and started giving me some encouragement.  He helped keep me going and even blocked the wind for me at one point.  He got me through the next two miles, and I wish I could have stayed with him to the end, but at mile 20 I had to make a pit stop.  I knew at that point that my sub-3 was gone.  I had held a 6:46/mile average pace to that point, so I have no doubts that without the pitstop (and subsequent slowing), that I would have gone sub-3 that day.  After I got back on the course, it was difficult to get back on pace, but I was determined to finish strong.  Around mile 24, I felt like I needed to stop again, but then the 3:05 pace group caught up to me.  My B goal for this race was to go sub-3:05 for an open BQ.  I did a lil assessment and determined that I wasn’t at risk for catastrophic GI failure and I could push through the last two miles.  So I picked it up a lil and was determined to stay ahead of the 3:05 pacer.

I had been told that the finish was downhill. That’s an understatement. I spent the final stretch to the finish just trying not to fall down.  As I was approaching the final turn to the downhill stretch, I see someone who looked vaguely familiar calling out my name and telling me that I’m doing great and to finish strong.  I gave him a thumbs up and made the turn, then it hit me, that was Bart Yasso!  Pretty cool way to finish out a great race.  As I started down the hill and began to realize just how steep it was, I decided to let gravity do it’s thing; no braking for me.  Just keep the feet moving as fast I can, short strides, like riding a bike (I think I read that in article about downhill running).  Pretty sure I passed three or four people in that final stretch.  Looking at my Garmin data, I see a 5:09 pace, yowza!  That was mostly gravity, I definitely didn’t have the kind of kick in me.  Coming down the hill, I see the clock click over to 3:04, I did it, open BQ, which would be around a 10 minute PR depending on what my official time ended up being.

Official finish time:  3:04:03, BQ-10:57 and a 10:04 PR from my first marathon just eight months ago.  15th in my age group and 135th out of 5,094 finishers.

While I had hoped to go sub-3, my overall goal for this race was to secure a solid BQ so that I can run Boston in 2016, mission accomplished!  I do think that I’m in sub-3 shape, and will take another crack at it next fall.  I’m going to spend the first half of next year focusing on shorter distances before starting marathon training again for a yet to be determined fall race. (Hoping for the Marine Corps Marathon if I can get in, if not then maybe Philly.)  Right now it’s time to recover and get ready for the Seashore Nature Trail 50K next month!

IMG_1057

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Dave!  I have followed your training pretty closely for the reasons we have discussed and I am so glad to see you did so well.  Sorry you had to go but sometimes it happens.  You know you have a sub-3 and even without the stop your time was smoking fast.

I laughed because that's exactly what I wore for the NYCM wind extravaganza earlier this month.  Glad to see it worked for you in that weather.

Congrats.  Looking forward to see what you can do next!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

What a great job, Dave.  It's really good to see all those massive miles you put in over the last few months paying their dividends.  All the TM running (22 miles!) takes discipline.  Too bad your GI didn't get the memo that it was race day, but you did a good  job mentally dealing with it, and not letting it derail your BQ.

Nice RR too.   I laughed at your "I love you!" and "you know him?"  bit.   I think sub-3 is definitely in your future, but for now, rest up and bask in the glory of a well run race.

Life is good.

tracilynn

Congrats on another great race!

I think we started running around the same time and it's nice to see that we have improved and are at the same level  haha.

I look forward to hearing about your 50k too.

~~~~~~~

Traci

LRB

You were a mileage monster this cycle and it paid off, nice job!

What if anything did you do for in-race hydration/nutrition?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Part of me thought those 100 mile weeks would beat you up too much and another part thought that if anyone could handle it, it is D frickin' 2. Fantastic effort, race, training, etc... It all came together on race day. Great, great, great work, D2.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the PR.  You ran a good race and your hard training paid off.  Sorry your body made it more difficult, but you did great.

B-Plus

Congrats D2! I agree you are in sub-3 shape! Damn PM.

music_girl117

Wow, you are so fast!!  Congratulations on a great race.  That's cool that your wife was so supportive too.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

workinprogress11

I'm sure the GI issues were discouraging, but a sub 3:05 even with a pit stop is pretty amazing.  You certainly put in the hard work and I'm sure sub 3 is right around the corner.  Congratulations on the huge BQ and a solid race.

hog4life

Congrats on a great race, and the BQ!

The PM works in mysterious ways. Hard to imagine it waiting 17 miles to strike. I'm sure stopping that late in the race made it that much tougher to get back on pace, since you're already about at the point where your body is starting to tell you to slow down.

Anyway, great race. Everyone was looking forward to seeing you kill this one, and you did not disappoint. A 3:04 in as brief a running career as you have is amazing. Of course the mileage you have been putting up is just otherworldly, a truly impressive accomplishment to keep yourself healthy through that. I cannot imagine what you will do when you actually start to add some speed work.

Dave

Cyberic

Big congrats on the open BQ. It is inspiring for little me who is surrounded by non runners to see that hard work pays off. I sure am going to follow your progress as I'm curious to see to what extent speed work will make you faster in, say, a marathon. I see from your experience that putting in the miles is a pretty good way to train, even with no speed work.

Thanks for the RR.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Damaris! The mileage definitely paid off, and it's still paying off, I feel pretty good today. Smile

Thanks OOTB! That cracked me up when she told me that. lol

Thanks Traci! I'm really looking forward to the 50k, it was a great race last year, I think I can knock a pretty decent chunk of time off this year. Smile

Thanks Rick! I did a gel before the race and then gels at miles 6/12/18/22. There were water stops every two miles, I did either water or gatorade at the stops in between gels, depending on what I felt like. I skipped a few of them when I wasn't thirsty since it was cool out.

Thanks Ginny! I'm definitely happy with my performance, even with the GI issues.

THanks B! I'm looking forward to knocking out some 5Ks now, bring on the speed!

Thanks music! She puts up with a lot (like me running 14 hours a week during training lol), I'm really glad she was there to cheer me on. Smile

Thanks work! It was still a great race, can't wait for next fall when I'll try again, hopefully at MCM if I can get in.

Thanks Mitch! I'm really happy that I was still able to get an open BQ.

Thanks Dave! Yeah, it was really weird that it took that long, our bodies can be stupid sometimes. The high mileage has definitely treated me well. I'm going to keep my base up during my speed phase, probably around 60mpw, that'll make it easier to ramp it back up even higher for the next marathon cycle. Try to make each cycle build on the last. Smile

Thanks Cyberic! I think a solid speed cycle will definitely help me when I start my next marathon cycle, both mentally and physically.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

You ran a great race and ended up with an excellent finish time, BQ -11 and PR! You deserve everything you got for all the hard work you have done in the last months. Congratulations!

I am curious about one thing: how did you choose your goal time? For me, I use not only my weekly mileage, but also my speedwork paces (tempo and intervals) and sometimes the occasional time trials. How did it work for you? Did you do any time trial before the race? I think I remember one race, but can't remember the details.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010