Beginners and Beyond

Beany Friday Penguins (Read 18 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is National Eat Beans Day!

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, looks like everyone is sleeping in today.

5.25 this morning followed by my Natto(fermented soybeans) breakfast

Zelanie

Morning, PAD!

I will have to eat beans at some point today, I guess. Smile  I've never had Natto- sounds a little scary, but I will have to try it some time!

Yesterday's 5K did start as planned with start temps of 100.  I had a nice shady volunteer spot, which was nice.  People looked like they were handling the temps pretty well.  After the sweeper went by, I went out and ran 5 more, to get my total to 8 for the day.  It had cooled off just a tad, so it was "only" 98 or something like that.

Today I have some miles to run, but I haven't decided when or how many yet.  It's already really hot and supposed to get hotter.

GinnyinPA

PAD - I've never heard of Natto either.  Where does it come from?  Good job on the 5 miles.

Z - did you run the race too?  What happened to your social run?  Enjoy your miles later.

I'm heading out in a bit for 5 or 6 miles.  It's not that hot, but very humid with thunderstorms expected. (76 feels like 84 at the moment, going up to 79/FL 86 in a couple of hours). I think the rain will feel good, if it falls when I'm running.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Five this morning!  Easy run, but perspired so much I had to stop and wipe out my eyes!  Note to self -- don't forget sweatband next time!

I've never tried natto, but I could really go for some red beans and rice right about now...

Zelanie

Ginny- I didn't run the race.  I had a spot on course to cheer and direct runners, and sometimes stop a car or two.  For the first time that I can remember, there wasn't a social run- the social group was encouraged to do the race as a fun run, or show up after to the baseball game (the race included a finish on the field and tickets to the game).   I didn't see a lot of people I knew on course, so I just ran on my own as soon as the sweeper passed my spot for the last time.  I tried to stay off the course to not confuse people (though I did see the race winner out for a "cool down"!) Then I went out to dinner with DD. Smile

I hope you get some rain for your run but avoid the thunderstorms.

Emm- Nice run!  Yes, it is the gross, drippy time of the year.

PADRunner

Natto Is common a Japanese food. It's an acquired taste. Some say it smells like dirty gym socks. It's very nutritious though, high in Vitamin K2 which is good for osteoporosis.

I get it from an Asian market in the frozen foods section. Some markets you can find it fresh.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Went out for a short run this morning and it was so nice, we ran 10.  Went out for burgers (not bean burgers) afterward, but needed long sleeves to sit on the patio.

Did you get wet, Ginny?

Docket_Rocket

I thought I posted here.  Anyway, pilates this morning, 10 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Did you get wet, Ginny?

No.  The sky got very dark but it stayed dry until I reached the store where DH met me.  I dripped all over the grocery, but that was it.  The cashier asked if I'd been bicycling, since I looked a bit (?!) bedraggled after 8 1/2 miles.  When I said I'd been running she said, "But isn't running hard?"  "Well, it can be."  "Aren't you afraid of your insides falling out?  I thought women shouldn't run because their insides will fall out."  I laughed and said, no, I've never worried about that.

Zelanie

Ginny, I never knew people actually believed that stuff!  Glad you were the counter example for her.  Not that there aren't days that I wish maybe those insides would just fall out on a run. 

I finally heard back from the RD of that marathon I ran last month, and I'm in the results (bib #13).  Plus, she said something about mailing our finisher shirts!  I didn't even know there were going to be finisher shirts!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Evening all. Rest day today which means I ran 2.4 easy miles Wink I also "ran" a 5k for 11 of my friends at this fourth of July gathering that I am at. By that I mean measured a course, made a map, and served as the timer for the event. It was a good experience. Three of my friends actually did couch to 5k just for the race.  Now it is probably time to sleep if I plan on getting my run in tomorrow.  Hydrating a bit because drinking started at noon. Ahh fourth of July.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Melanie - hurray for being an official finisher, finally.

sapf - be careful with the drinking and running.  We don't want any more broken toes!  Nice that your friends got inspired to start running thanks to the gathering's 5k.