Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I'm aiming for something like 6 or 7 outside today before our rain/snow hits in the afternoon.

DR - how was doing all of those races over 4 days?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

They were fun!

Morning. Still sitting in my car in a horrible traffic jam due to some idiots not knowing how to drive. I have been in this crap for 1.5 hours and I am late for work, which I never have been.  Plus I am hungry!

My dad is flying in today so no running as I have to pick him up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Our quartet sang a couple of songs for their chorus (not my chorus) last night, and it went pretty well!!  The first song had great energy, good chords, felt good overall, and was really well received.  The second had some questionable moments and didn't come off quite as well, but was still not bad.  Both of the songs are going on contest stage in early April, so it's good to have them heard by folks who know.  

Jill -- they're calling for snow here too, but not enough to amount to anything.  Which is good, I guess, as tomorrow is quartet practice!

Docket -- sorry about the traffic jam!!  Do you use Waze?  It's a crowd-sourced navigation app that's gotten me around more than one traffic jam.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

I have used it but there is only one highway going East that I can take unless I take the Dolphin which is like this without accidents.  Actually, I was already on it when the accident happened so there was no good way for me to head to downtown by then.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hi everybody. I had an attack of the lazies for a couple of days and didn't run or do anything. But I got out for 3.5 this morning.

I played neighborhood  busybody today. A guy down the street runs his landscaping business from his house. I guess he doesn't want to pay for a proper place to store his equipment, because 3-4 times a year we go through this exercise:  1) he parks his trailers on the street in front of his house and doesn't move them for a couple of weeks 2) the trailers cause a bottleneck at an intersection on a curve and school bus stop 3) one of the neighbors contacts the township code enforcement office -- it's against township code to park trailers on the street. 4) he moves the trailers

While I was on the website I reported a car parked on another street in the neighborhood. I don't think it's moved in a couple of years, and the latest inspection sticker is from 2011.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I'm aiming for something like 6 or 7 outside today before our rain/snow hits in the afternoon.

DR - how was doing all of those races over 4 days?

Well that turned into 5.2 on the TM when I decided I couldn't be bothered to hunt down appropriate winter running gear.  Maybe I'll do more later.  I'm in H2H with DH's miles team this week.  I've gotta crush him ;-)

GinnyinPA

Jill - I hope you managed to get out before the snow hit.  We're supposed to have flurries here, but I think it may miss us. The sun is out at the moment.

Damaris - I hope being late to work didn't mean you were late to court.  Judges aren't very understanding about traffic jams.

HopesMom - which songs are you singing in the competition this year?

Margo - at least you got out today before it got really cold.

My run today was the reverse of yesterday's run since I wanted to find a glove that dropped out of my pocket.  It took a while, but for once I got lucky.  I never did find the glove I lost last year.  Someone must have picked it up and thrown it away before I got back to the neighborhood. Anyhow, I got 6.3 chilly miles done.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Indoor track today and the F^3 foreseeable future Sad

Have fun with your Dad, DR.

Docket_Rocket

Jill - I hope you managed to get out before the snow hit.  We're supposed to have flurries here, but I think it may miss us. The sun is out at the moment.

Damaris - I hope being late to work didn't mean you were late to court.  Judges aren't very understanding about traffic jams.

HopesMom - which songs are you singing in the competition this year?

Margo - at least you got out today before it got really cold.

My run today was the reverse of yesterday's run since I wanted to find a glove that dropped out of my pocket.  It took a while, but for once I got lucky.  I never did find the glove I lost last year.  Someone must have picked it up and thrown it away before I got back to the neighborhood. Anyhow, I got 6.3 chilly miles done.

I didn't have court today but if it was for court, we usually get a lot of leeway because of who we are and also, I can attend by telephone when it's something like this (qualifies as an emergency).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice day today, will be sunny and 61 degrees.  Going to get out there and enjoy a few miles after work.  How many?  Don't know.  I am not training for anything and have no set schedule, so just will run how I feel, go a bit longer if I'm feeling good out there.   Sweet.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt