Beginners and Beyond

OT: I need a new book to download and read (Read 320 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5 quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Possibly my favorite of hers. Also loved Chocolat and Girl With No Shadow. And we won't mention that competitor of Barnes & Noble anymore, will we?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

oh crap.

I'm going to be reading for a loooooong time.

Read the hunger games series waaaaay before the movie - and LOVED it.

I don't think there is any particular genre I like - like I said, I'm easily entertained Smile

Village people

I actually put Gone Girl on my library hold list - there are only 325 people ahead of me - so I might break down and buy it!

Ok, I'm starting in order from  your posts and going to read the synopsis and picking and choosing!  Starting with UNBROKEN.....

Smile

edited.....the library actually has Unbroken available so SNIP this one's first!!

Lots of great choices! I am in the middle of Unbroken. I was up until 2am reading, last week. I could not put it down!

Pinktastic

It's an oldie, but if you haven't read it, Shot In The Heart by Mikal Gilmore is great!  I read it probably in the mid-90s and I still remember being up til midnight and later for days because it was that good!  In case the author's name isn't familiar to you, it's the story of Gary Gilmore as told by his brother, Mikal.   And, if Gary's name doesn't ring any bells, Norman Mailer wrote about him in The Executioner's Song.  

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Jess runs for bacon

OK so I'm a huuuuuuge reader. Well, I was, until I started running. Before, I'd read over 200 books a year. Now it's more like 50. I can plow through a dozen books easy on a week's vacation. I also worked in a bookstore for many, many years.

That being said, I kinda need to know what you like to read. Or something you've read recently that you liked. I'm pretty damn good at pairing people with books.

In the meantime, here's a few to chew on:

-Life of Pi. Movie just came out and both are excellent. Sorta sad and philosophical but pretty easy to read (minus the beginning)

-Someone mentioned George R.R. Martin. Take my advice and WAIT until ALL books are out. I read the first three. Then a year later and the third came out. I was screwed, because I forgot what happened and didn't want to reread 3 800 page books. They are awesome though.

-I just finished book 15 or something of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (book one is Fool Moon). It's about a snarky wizard in Chicago who often needs to save the world. I don't usually like series that are that long but these are AWESOME. If you want to test drive, they made a TV show out of it that lasted for a season. It's free on demand on Netflix. If you like the show, you'll really like the books. Urban Fantasy.

- Blasphemy by Douglas Preston. Kind of a science thriller (not scifi, kind of political, but really really cool)

- Darkhouse by Karina Halle. Self pubbed, but you wouldn't know it. I think it's 99 cents for the ebook. Recommended if you like X Files

- The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye. Historial fiction based in New York City.

-Wool by Hugh Howey. Another self pub ebook, I think the first is free. Short story. I'm bolding this because it'll take you like a half hour to read and your mind will be blown. Promise.

I could keep going. Those are just the awesome books I've read in the past few months...

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (actually any book in the Stephanie Plum series)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Replica by Lexi Revellian

Misty

I have to second Wool! I read the first short story, then immediately had to download all the others. It's an amazing series and I can not wait until the next one comes out!

Misty

Bless your heart.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Read anything good lately?

All of my life I avoided 2 things - running and reading.  I've started doing both in 2011.

I combine them. Smile

Just finished this book I'd never read before, The Hobbit, by Jr. Tolken or somebody.  Pretty good, I don't know why no one ever talks about it.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Jess runs for bacon

I have to second Wool! I read the first short story, then immediately had to download all the others. It's an amazing series and I can not wait until the next one comes out!

Dude right?? I think the first in the new spinoff series is out but he's technically done with Wool. The first is still the best (mind blown!) but the rest were good. I think the second was kinda meh but then it picks up again. That guys is making a crapton of money. I love when self published books surprise me.

Linda

The Book Thief

Life of Pi

11/22/63

The Passage and The Twelve

Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies

The Dovekeepers

Game of Throne Series

Boys Life

Confederacy of Dunces

Are some of my recent good reads. 

Jan, Unbroken is in my TBR list. 

The Book Thief

Life of Pi

Unbroken

+1

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Misty

I started Life of Pi a couple weeks ago but couldn't get into it. It's so slow! But I'm guessing it gets better?

Misty

Bless your heart.

Sloooow.

Wool was very good. I bought the book, I think it has the whole series in it? Unbroken was an awesome book too.

Water for Elephants:A Novel by Sara Gruen is a VERY good book. It's one of those that when I finished, I wished I could erase it all from my head to read again.

Song of Fire and Ice books.

His Dark Materials- Philip Pullman

I, Cladius.

Helter Skelter. Very interesting book, quite morbid but very interesting historically and technically.

Bared to You by Sylvia Day. Schexy books.

I used to read all the time, but time has become limited since I had kids. Now the "No Cry Sleep Solution" is my bedtime reading, lol.

Dad on the run.

If you are open to dabble in Sci-fi/fantasy I highly highly recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. He has about 12 books out now and he don't have a single book in the series that won't suck you in and keep you turning the pages. I could list a ton of other fantasy books I recommend but those are the easiest to get into.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

I combine them. Smile

Just finished this book I'd never read before, The Hobbit, by Jr. Tolken or somebody.  Pretty good, I don't know why no one ever talks about it.

I'm taking a stab in the dark and assuming this is you being funny Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jess runs for bacon

I started Life of Pi a couple weeks ago but couldn't get into it. It's so slow! But I'm guessing it gets better?

Yeah the beginning is stupid slow. Gets a lot better though.