Beginners and Beyond

Friday (Read 48 times)

LRB

Yo.

I have a 50 minute easy run on the docket this morning. Then I will take on my longest workday of the week, just in time for the weekend, yay.

How is your Friday looking?

Cyberic

My legs feel so weird. They feel the exact opposite I would have thought they'd feel from cutting down on the running. I can't describe it in words. At least you guys had predicted it would happen, because it happens to you too.  So I'm still not sure it's such a good thing, but at least it's somewhat normal. So the bouncy legs I was expecting: not there.

The weather forecast is predicting a couple of degrees less than earlier this week, so that's very good news. Two days out, they usually are pretty accurate.

MTA: I'll run 4 instead of the prescribed 6.

bluerun

Super B****

Cyberic -- you don't need them bouncy TODAY, you need them bouncy on race day!  Just wait. 

While running 9 on the AlterG, I came up with a lovely plan for Sunday's 10K.  Lovely in theory, anyway; it would be even better in execution, but I'm sure I can't pull it off!  It's a three-loop course -- all I have to do is run each loop in fifteen minutes.  Sounds simple, right?!

And I have a dilemma.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Poor Cy does not want to accept HE IS TAPERING!

Morning!  Ran 3 miles this morning.  I am still coughing from the stupid 77 dewpoint, but at least I ran outside.  Off to fly out later today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

bluerun, I cannot see the picture.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

My legs feel so weird. They feel the exact opposite I would have thought they'd feel from cutting down on the running. I can't describe it in words. At least you guys had predicted it would happen, because it happens to you too.  So I'm still not sure it's such a good thing, but at least it's somewhat normal. So the bouncy legs I was expecting: not there.

Your legs may not feel quite there yet, but I guarantee if you lined up for a race tonight, you'd smoke it.  My legs never really felt jumpy going into race day in my last two marathons, but then the gun goes off and you FLY!

Speaking of running, I don't have to run today!    I will try to get to the pool after work though and get a swim in.  No promises though.  My legs are tired.  One more week of peak training.....

<3

From the Internet.

3.5 miles for me. If I get in my entire planned 7 miler tomorrow I'm back at 30 miles for the week! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Cyberic

Poor Cy does not want to accept HE IS TAPERING!

I changed about that, Damaris. I did not believe it would affect me in this way, because I would never have expected that. Now it's not that I don't want to accept, it's that I'm completely blown away with it. As I said, the fact that I was warned helps me not freak out more than I am, thankfully.

Cyberic

bluerun, I cannot see the picture.

LRB

Six.

Mmmmm...beer

Taper madness, the struggle is real. Smile  Don't worry Cy, the pop will be there when you need it.  Something I try to always focus on, but especially when I'm tapering, is sleep.  Get as much quality sleep as you possibly can while you're tapering (except for the night before the race, that's pretty much impossible lol).

Slow 5er this morning, feeling the fatigue (yes, I'm mortal after all lol).  Looking forward to a good night's sleep and a 40 mile weekend. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Slow 5er this morning, feeling the fatigue (yes, I'm mortal after all lol). 

GASP!

Docket_Rocket

I finally have a rest day tomorrow, damn it.  11 days for being lazy last week and moving my rest day.  I should know better.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

Looking forward to a good night's sleep and a 40 mile weekend. 

That would be a gasp for anyone else but for you it's yawn. lol

Cyberic

Your legs may not feel quite there yet, but I guarantee if you lined up for a race tonight, you'd smoke it.  My legs never really felt jumpy going into race day in my last two marathons, but then the gun goes off and you FLY!

Speaking of running, I don't have to run today!    I will try to get to the pool after work though and get a swim in.  No promises though.  My legs are tired.  One more week of peak training.....

Good for you. A day off seemed like a good idea with the hard running you've been doing these past days.

I kinda suspect that it is what would happen if I had to race today.

I still don't know how I'm going to race it:

1- I could go out at the pace I've been training at (7:15) and try to hold on. It's a 3:10 pace, but I'd accept slowing down in hills, slowing at water stops, the ever marathon long course, and positive split would yield a 3:15-ish.

2- I could go out more conservatively (7:30) for the first half, and try to pick it up in the beginning of the first half (7:20-7:25), and try to finish the last 5K at 7:15 or faster if I can muster it. With the marathon factors cited above (except the split would be negative), this would yield a 3:18-ish

Right now I'm leaning towards the second option, because redemption in a marathon is soooo long away, and so many things can happen in one's life in that time. The second option would still give a BQ in a safer way: I may leave 2-3 minutes on the field compared to option 1, but chances of the wheels falling off and miss it by 30 minutes are lesser.