Beginners and Beyond

Favorites of 2017 (Read 47 times)

breadnatty08

Thought I'd just start a thread on folks' favorite running things of the year.  Not necessarily a year in a review, just a mention of your favorite shoes, gear, races, run destinations etc.

I had 2 pairs of shoes that stood out for me this year: Hoka Challenger 3s and Skechers GoMeb Razor.  The Hokas were the first of the brand I finally tried and I finally fell in love with them.  The cushion, fit and stability over the nasty terrain I ran earlier this year were fantastic.  I switched to a fresh pair of them for the final 30mi of my 100 miler in May and it really nenewed my race.

The Razers were for me, the best long run road shoe of my marathon cycle.  Lightweight, roomy fit, cushy but with more stability/responiveness that the GoRuns, they were awesome for 10-20+ milers.  They can nail marathon pace with ease or just cruise.  I kind of wished I raced in these than the lighter Speeds...

My favorite race of the year was the Sean O'Brien 100k in February.  This takes place in Malibu State Park just NW of LA.  The terrain was fast (when it wasn't covered in the stickiest mud imaginable), had gorgeous views, plenty of aid stations, fun folks to run with for a bit and it was challenging!  Almost regret not signing up again for next year.

Find me on Strava

Docket_Rocket

All my favorite running shoes are not made anymore, so I won't regaled you with my favorite Mizuno Elixirs or the Clifton 1s.  I still have some of those shoes left and I'm hawking them like crazy.

My favorite place and race this year was, hands down, Reykjavik.  Loved Iceland and running there was amazing.  Working on another exotic destination in the next couple of years.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Thought I'd just start a thread on folks' favorite running things of the year.  Not necessarily a year in a review, just a mention of your favorite shoes, gear, races, run destinations etc.

I did not race this year. I did not really go anywhere to run, either. I did buy a pair of adidas Boost Tempo 8s back in March, but did not like them at all. So running-wise, the year was basically a big fat lemon. lol

oldfartrunner

I'm liking the New Balance 1400V5s. The tread pattern is really nice an grippy, even on light trails. Not quite as firm as the V4s, because of the tread pattern, and seems slightly more protection and pop. Just an all around good shoe. Looks like the next year version will lose some weight in the upper/tongue. Don't know if that will be good?... Looking forward to trying the Summit Unknowns too. Looks like the platform at the instep will be wider? Might be the perfect trail shoe?

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/

We just race locally within about 2 hours of where we live. We raced the Big Pine Extreme 13K  trail race in June in Flagstaff AZ. Course was fast and challenging- because of the 7000' alt. mostly, and I was injured the year before,  so was nice to finally run it. It's cool up there when it is hot here and in Phoenix. Some pro runners showed up and smashed the CR in our race and 6K.  Neat to line up with a pro.  And then they're gone!

https://www.aravaiparunning.com/big-pine/

GC100k

I got two pairs of shoes this year, Hoka Challenger and Hoka Bondi, both a version behind the current. Like them both quite a bit. I got them in the spring and took the summer off of running, so they're going strong and probably no new shoes until next summer.

Did one race this year, which is one more than i do most years, the IronMasters 50k. I liked it a lot and plan to do it next year.

This years shoe for me has been the NB1400V4. I know the V5 has been out for a while but I stocked up on the V4's when they were cheap. Ran 2 Halfs in them and a couple 5ks. They have also been my go to shoe for longer tempo runs and intervals. They're very light and responsive but don't beat you up at all. Looking forward to trying out the V5's. I also picked up a Timex Ironman this year...theres no other way to run intervals for me now.

No amazing destination races for me...just local stuff. One of my favorites was the Half in Asbury Park NJ at the beach. Such a cool old town...some of the places are just un-touched from the 40s-50's?...Running on the old boardwalk....yeah it was pretty awesome. My other would have to be the Ivyland 5k. Its just a local race but all the fastest high schoolers come out and its really competitive. Got to race with my friend and training partner there and ran my PR...also got to hang out and eat pancakes afterwards....very cool race!

**Edit*** Bread, I just ordered a pair of those Razors to try out...all your shoe recs have been awesome for me so why not...theyre cheap enough.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

No shoe revelation for me.

I discovered a local 50K road race, though. Very cool. Fatass style, but the aid stations are incredible, with fresh fruit, home made yummies, water, pop. You also get beer and pizza at the finish. The 100K sells out in about 12 hours, and the 50K in about 3 days. Few spots available, and very popular.

I might have run commuted a few times before, but in 2017 I definitely started viewing running as more than just training and racing. I'm going to try to be competitive for a couple of years still, see what I can do, and then I might just start to run all the time, everywhere. Run at the pace I feel like running: fast if I'm in a hurry, and easy when I feel like it. Nothing close to a plan.

oldfartrunner

No shoe revelation for me.

I discovered a local 50K road race, though. Very cool. Fatass style, but the aid stations are incredible, with fresh fruit, home made yummies, water, pop. You also get beer and pizza at the finish. The 100K sells out in about 12 hours, and the 50K in about 3 days. Few spots available, and very popular.

I might have run commuted a few times before, but in 2017 I definitely started viewing running as more than just training and racing. I'm going to try to be competitive for a couple of years still, see what I can do, and then I might just start to run all the time, everywhere. Run at the pace I feel like running: fast if I'm in a hurry, and easy when I feel like it. Nothing close to a plan.

Kinda like Forest Gump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnJ8GpsBG8

My BQ marathon. Easiest question ever.

(MTA: well technically there were two of them, but only one that counts.)

Dave

delicate flower

My race year was good but unremarkable until November came along, then I PR'd everything I ran.  I credit finally getting good race weather.  I had a lot of bad luck with the race weather this year.  Three things that really stand out for me:

• BQ marathon.  Kind of a no brainer when you've been trying for several years to finally get there.
                      • Leading a 10K for a couple of miles, which is the first time I've ever led a race.  Then reality set in.  It was fun while it lasted though.
                      • The HM I finished 4th OA in, not so much because of the finish, but because I enjoyed every step of that race and the cheering I got from other runners as I went by.  

I traveled to Niagara Falls, Williamsburg VA, and Cocoa FL for races, plus took a trip to Mont-Tremlant to support two friends who did the Ironman there.

It's been a fun year.

<3

Coastal

No races, but have some gear favorites.  Got back into wearing Ghosts with the 9's after a break from the 6's.  I usually buy last years shoes at a discount and was wearing Glycerins.  A change in the 15's led to blisters so it was time to change and the Ghosts offered lots of forefoot and toe room plus decent durability.

The Ghosts feel like bricks compared to the Bondi's.  It's a love hate relationship with the 5's -- my legs love them on long runs but my feet struggle with the rocker.  The Bondi's last 600 - 800 miles or more so I'd like to keep them in rotation with the Ghosts and maybe Cliftons which now come in 14EE so I'll be trying them at some point.

I'm really liking the Darn Tough socks LM and Bread recommended.  My warm weather socks used to be the Adidas sock pack from Costco, but the new ones aren't the same.  If the Darn Tough turn out to be as durable as they are supposed to they might be my overall favorites.

hog4life

Completed my first 50k! I will finish the year injury free!!

RunningOnSand

Love this thread.

I didnt buy buy them this year, but my Manzella convertible mittens with magnetic closure remain my favorite for winter running. They’re great from about 20°F - -10°F (usually the coldest air temp I will run in).

For shorts, Lululemon’s hotty hot hot 4” are great—nice and roomy through the thighs, enough coverage so I don’t feel like I’m exposing my cheeks to the world, and no chafing.

The sports bra bra award goes to the Shock Absorber Ultimate Run Sports bra—no bounce, no chafing, maximal support.

Im still trying to find my perfect pair of shoes, and I only ran 2 races.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Short: got a bunch of New Balance Impact shorts. I even branched out and got 2 pairs in a color other than black. Lightweight and they have a zip back pocket that fits my car key.

Shoes: after trying others,s my favorite is still the Mizuno Wave Riders. I wasn't as big a fan of the 20s as some of the past versions, but they still get the job done

Didn't really do many races and it seemed like I had pretty shitty luck in terms of short courses this year.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Still looking for a new favorite shoe.  Ghost 10's are working well, but not in the snow (the Conti rubber on the Adidas have better grip).

While at the moment, it was not my favorite, but in hindsight having to race up (and down, and up, and down, and up...) a damn mountain opened a whole new world of running for me.  If I never run a road race again, I'd be just fine with that.  2018 will be all trail ultras for me....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours