Beginners and Beyond

FINALLY Friday Penguins! (Read 27 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This has been a really rough week for me. This is the first week of this school year I have had a fully booked schedule at my part-time jobs, therefore my workday every day this week has been 8:00am-8:00pm, and I have had over 40 reports due that I have had to do on my own time, plus other paperwork. I have been getting 3-4 hours of sleep each night since Monday, staying up late and getting up early to do all this paperwork. But, light at the end of the tunnel...... I JUST FINISHED MY LAST REPORT!!!!! YAYYYY!!!!!! With no time to spare....need to get ready for work now and turn all these in!! Needless to say, however, things like eating, sleeping, and running have taken a backseat so I could get all this done. I have not run one step since Sunday Cry. There was no possible way I could have. That would have meant taking another hour and a half or so away from the 3-4 hours I was getting of sleep. BUT it is over now....hope to get some good runs in this weekend and the weather is supposed to warm up and be nice!!! .....in other news, my damn right shin has been bugging me all week, so maybe the extra rest was for the best?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

Morning, I'm going to try to run after work today, usually it doesn't go to well. Think I'm coming down with a cold to so may not run much anyway.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy Texas weather!  Yesterday morning it was 35 degrees.  This morning it is 54 degrees and we are heading for a high today of 75.   I have a 5K tomorrow morning and temp at the start time will be 63. High tomorrow 80.  High on Sunday - .the day of the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon - 83 degrees!  Sheesh.

Yesterday after work it was 63 degrees.  I got changed into my running gear and then pointed my car  toward downtown San Antonio, still not yet sure which of my many available running routes in that area I wanted to do...maybe the Riverwalk?  Maybe the Missions Trail area, that goes along the river and takes me by some of the 17th century Spanish Missions?  Maybe Fort Sam Houston?  Maybe the YMCA-Brackenridge Park trails that takes me by the Zoo?   Blue Star Brewery running trail where I could get a nice run in and then sit on the patio at the Blue Star and have a lager after my run?   Historic King William District where I run past these really amazing 18th century houses?   Decisions, decisions!  Well, I decided to just drive and let Karma decide and she did...there was a traffic accident ahead on one of our inter-city highways, blocking access to most of downtown.   So I exited off and headed for the San Antonio Riverwalk.   Good decision!   The weather was sweet, but the wind was also blowing a little, so a tad 'chilly' for most of the tourists.  So the Riverwalk was nice and quiet and lovely to run on.  I had planned on doing an easy 3 miles but felt so good, I just kept going and ended up doing 4.5 miles, doing my run/walk for 50 minutes, instead of 30-something minutes.  Nice!

Today is a rest day for me and tomorrow I head to Seguin, Texas - about a 40 minute drive from San Antonio - to do the Dash For The Disabled 5K.  The race supports a disabled veterans group, a cause close to my heart as I am retired military and I certainly went through my own periods of disability during my career (3 helicopter crashes, 4 knee surgeries, and my arthritis I have now was partially caused by one of those crashes), so I empathize with what they are going through.  I did not have as nearly a bad time as most of these folks, they are truly amazing and inspiring to see at these events, they live "Never Give Up!"  every day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad for you, Kristin, that you are now at the light at the end of the tunnel with all your reports, paperwork, etc!   This weekend, I think you should take care of that shin and get in some multiple-hour sleeping periods!

I'm going to try to run after work today, usually it doesn't go to well.   Why is that, PAD?  You don't like running after work, or your work schedule is not conducive for running after work?   I run in the mornings once in a while - races, for the most part - but I definitely prefer after-work running.  No pressure to get done, no worries about having to hurry up to get get ready for work, etc.  Just can take it nice and easy, relax, run the way I want to, no worries.  Of course, it also does help that Gail and I don't have any kids either, so unlike 'family' runners, no pressure to get home, be with the kids, cook dinner, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

I'm going to try to run after work today, usually it doesn't go to well.   Why is that, PAD?  You don't like running after work, or your work schedule is not conducive for running after work?   I run in the mornings once in a while - races, for the most part - but I definitely prefer after-work running.  No pressure to get done, no worries about having to hurry up to get get ready for work, etc.  Just can take it nice and easy, relax, run the way I want to, no worries.  Of course, it also does help that Gail and I don't have any kids either, so unlike 'family' runners, no pressure to get home, be with the kids, cook dinner, etc.

I'm usually just tired after work to get out and do it, more of a morning person I guess. Speaking of kids, I'm about to pack my DS up and move him out finally. Smile So I'll be an empty nester come Monday! He's moving to Sherman, he'll be reporting for the Herald Democrat paper.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Kickboxing again tonight.

Kristin, sounds like a busy day.  Hope it gets better.

Scotty, I am jealous of your weather.

PAD Runner, good luck with the afternoon run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning penguins!

Kristin - it must feel good to have all that behind you.

Scotty - good luck on you race.

PAD - I prefer afternoon runs. I could be dead tired after work but running peps me up! Plus if I have a "bad" run in the morning, I have to deal with it all day whereas an afternoon run can be slept off!

As for me - yesterday I ran a little over 8 with some strides at the end. I started before sundown and it was completely dark when I was done. The temp dropped a lot too but I warmed up after 3 miles. Today will be an easy 4 or so.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

tracilynn

Kristin, I got anxiety just reading your schedule. No way to run with all that and it was just a week. Don't beat yourself up for not running. Sounds like the break from running came at a good time with the shin acting up.

pad, I'm like you and late runs are tougher for me because I'm more tired in the pm too.  Hope

your cold is a short one.

scotty, must be nice to have so many places to run!  Our weather is bipolar too. 75 one day down to 24 the next.  Nice 4.5er. I can't believe you are still running after 3 helicopter crashes and all thAt. Tough as nails.

Gus, nice 8 and enjoy the 4.

Damaris, TGIF and enjoy the kickboxing.

I ran 4.2 last night in the cold darK night

I put my super feet orthotic in my hokas. Gonna try that awhile.  Shin feels good today.

Rest day for me today.

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins!

3 easy today and then I have a parent-teacher conference this afternoon.  Just a little bit nervous.  3rd grade is just as much a struggle for parents as kids.  Maybe more so.  I'll say it now and probably mention it again later- I hate common core curriculum.

Kristin-congrats on the 40 completed reports!  Rest is probably good.

PAD- Colds suck.

Scotty- 80 degrees and dry might be ok.  80 degrees and humid-ick.  Thank you for your service.

Damaris- TGIF

Gus- Enjoy your easy day

Traci- a rest day on Friday sounds great.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Damaris - enjoy the kick boxing!

Tracy -  good news about the quiet shins! Enjoy your RD.

StoneFence - enjoy the 3 and the 3rd grade P-T conference.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Hi everyone.  SWD (scheduled worry day) for me.  HM tomorrow -- hence the worry about what to eat, what to wear, did I forget anything?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Kristin: Jeesh! I thought I was busy!
                            PAD: I am more of a morning person myself, but sometimes you have to just go out and get it done.

Scotty: I can relate. It was 92 on Wednesday, 68 today, and possible rain tomorrow. Smile

Docket: Kickboxing? Wow, remind me not to cross your path. Wink

Gus: Are you signed up for a race? I forget...

Traci: I have never had shin splints, but I also use the Superfeet, the blue ones. Good luck with them. So far, so good...

Stone: 3rd grade is hard? Wait until middle school, high school, and university. I have one in each!

As for me, 11 miles tonight in the dark. Tomorrow is a swim meet with DD2 so that means I'm up extra early for four recovery miles. On Sunday, both DDs are running in a XC meet so that means I am up extra, EXTRA early for my last 20 mile run of my training.  This madness is almost over. Last night I started making notes on what to eat for my big carb load in the two days before the marathon. The carb loading may be as interesting as the race itself.

Have a good Friday, Pens.

Dad on the run.

Kristin - Your a machine. There is no way I could handle all of that with so little sleep. I'm ok with 5 hours, but anything less than that and I'm useless and grumpy as hell.

PAD - Sorry your not feeling well, get better soon

Scotty - enjoy the rest

Docket - How long have you been doing kickboxing?

Gustav - awesome job on the 8 with strides

Traci - Yay for shins feeling good!

Stonefence - good job on the 3, enjoy that parent teacher meeting.... :/

Phillie - You will knock that HM out of the park, don't even fret over it.

AFM - I took yesterday as a complete rest day, came home lastnight we fixed up hotdogs since that's something easy and after we put EK to bed we watched White House Down. Decent flick.

This morning I fought with myself for about 15 min on getting up and going to the gym or doing it tonight. By that point I had woke myself up to the point I couldn't go back to sleep so I just got up and went. Legs and Back. Legs are going to be really sore tomorrow I'm sure. Leg extension, leg curles, calf raises, walking lunges and squats. I'm working on getting my squat weight up, right now its pretty pathetic. I started with 95lbs 12 times and ended with 155 for 4 reps. Would like to get up in the 300 lb range but afraid this might hurt my running more than help. Back consisted of rows, lat rows and laying overhead raises (not sure what these are really called)... Tonight I will probalby just do a core routine with some stretching and icing the leg.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Jimmy, I do it on and off, but mostly via videos.  I don't have time to go to a gym to do them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page