Beginners and Beyond

Week 22 Penguins have a bucket with a hole in it. (05/30-06/05) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is My Bucket's Got a Hole In It Day.  From Checkiday:  There is no consensus as to why My Bucket's Got a Hole In It Day exists or why it occurs when it does.  Maybe it's to celebrate the song.  Who knows?

Anyway, I just got back from singing for livestream church, and am looking forward to not doing much the rest of the day.  I got a new cookbook (because of course I did); this one's on French comfort food.  There's a recipe for cheese souffle appetizers, so I might run down and try that out for us for lunch, after which we shall dine on reheated chicken a la king which DH made yesterday.  We do have plans for bacon mushroom swiss burgers at some point during the weekend, and pineapple ice cream, if I ever get off my duff and slice up the pineapple.  Actually we have two, and I just jiggered my produce list for this week so that the co-op doesn't send us a third one.  Two is quite enough, even if I cut the first one and discover it's too far past its prime.

My fridge could be a soap opera!!  Stay tuned, to see if the pineapple survives or becomes compost!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Ran the Honor the Brave Memorial Day 5K this morning (4 miles total with warmup). My asthma was bad so it wasn't a repeat of my great performance last month, but it was nice to get out there for another race.

I also snuck 151 miles for the month, after not running much for February and March and a slow April. Heading in the right direction.

Been sick with asthma the last two days so I've not done much. Glad to get out there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Today is My Bucket's Got a Hole In It Day.  From Checkiday:  There is no consensus as to why My Bucket's Got a Hole In It Day exists or why it occurs when it does.  Maybe it's to celebrate the song.  Who knows?

Anyway, I just got back from singing for livestream church, and am looking forward to not doing much the rest of the day.  I got a new cookbook (because of course I did); this one's on French comfort food.  There's a recipe for cheese souffle appetizers, so I might run down and try that out for us for lunch, after which we shall dine on reheated chicken a la king which DH made yesterday.  We do have plans for bacon mushroom swiss burgers at some point during the weekend, and pineapple ice cream, if I ever get off my duff and slice up the pineapple.  Actually we have two, and I just jiggered my produce list for this week so that the co-op doesn't send us a third one.  Two is quite enough, even if I cut the first one and discover it's too far past its prime.

My fridge could be a soap opera!!  Stay tuned, to see if the pineapple survives or becomes compost!!

Ooh, that sounds delicious. Can you let me know the name of the book?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Pineapple ice cream sounds good. I love fresh pineapple.

D - congrats on getting to run another race. I like the medal and shirt.

Today is probably a rest day as my legs have been very painful the past couple. Besides, the house needs to be cleaned.

Singer who runs a smidge

It seems to be called French Comfort Food.  I made cheese souffle appetizers on Sunday, and although I think they needed to cook a little longer, they rose and turned golden on top, and tasted good!  DH was very impressed.

The burgers lacked bacon, because apparently I didn't say "bacon" enough times for it to make the grocery list.  But the pineapple ice cream was pretty good.  DH didn't cut the center out of the rings, so it's got some kind of tough, sour chunks here and there, but overall it's nice.

And I achieved my (admittedly low bar) goal yesterday of playing video games all day with DH, so woo-hoo!!  

Docket_Rocket

I'll check it out, thanks!

I have 5 and a Barre workout later.

Ginny, hope you were able to rest.

HopesMom, oh, playing video games is a great way to pass the weekend!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all, are you surprised it's Wednesday?  I don't know, I've got things I need to do today, but I'm waiting on input from my supervisor, so the day is going kind of slowly.

I don't have choir practice tonight, as we're on hiatus for the summer, which is kind of nice.  But tomorrow night is our last chorus zoom, and then we'll be back singing in person, which will be awesome!!  I don't know if we'll keep quartet on Sunday afternoon or move it to an evening -- there are a lot of perks to having it on Sunday afternoon, like getting to bed on time!  So, we'll see.

I also have a work-related party on Friday, which is nifty.  I worked at the university for 11 years and avoided work get-togethers like the plague, because the first few times I went, it was awful because I didn't really like anyone there.  But this should be a lot more fun.  So hey, life is getting busy again!

Docket_Rocket

I don't even know what day it is this week, gah.

Ran 7.

HopesMom, glad to hear. Hoping you get to see them in person soon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - will this party give you a chance to meet some of the people who have been working from home, or does everyone work on site already? Enjoy your quartet practice.

Tomorrow we get our refrigerator delivered, hopefully. They didn't call today to tell us when to expect them, which is a problem because we only slept about 3 hours last night and I am not going to want to get up early tomorrow.

Singer who runs a smidge

We're all on site, have been since I started this shindig.  We're also all vaccinated, which is a good thing.  So it should be fun, though they didn't give me quite enough notice to make a cheesecake!  Maybe next time ...

New fridge, woo-hoo!!  We've been having an issue with our stove -- the control panel wasn't really making good contact, and DH sort of fixed it (the stove is too old to get a replacement part), so when you turn it on, it shuts itself off 5-10 times before it actually starts heating.  It's annoying, but otherwise the stove works fine, so we're not looking to replace it just yet.  We're beginning to think about it, though.

GinnyinPA

Our freezer kept leaking into the fridge. We were told how to fix it, but the fix would only last a couple of days before the leak started again, so we decided to replace it. Nothing fancy, especially since we don't plan to be in this house much longer, but at least we know we aren't leaving behind something that doesn't work right.

I ran 7.1 in the rain.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! RD for me, so Pilates and a bike ride later.

HopesMom, yay for the new fridge! Our one year old dish washer has a broken part (I think it's the band that goes around the door) and the door keeps opening up unless we lock it. I hate when appliances go rogue.

Ginny, nice run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Actually, Ginny's the one with the new fridge.  I was just woo-hoo-ing for her new fridge.  

LOOOOONG day in the lab today!  But hey, there's a party tonight!

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope you enjoyed your company party.

We have several days of 90+ degrees, so I'll be spending time on the TM since I rarely get up early. It was already 83 feels like 92 when I age breakfast.