Beginners and Beyond

BOOM! Friday Penguins (Read 20 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Happy 4th! It's 4:41am and I'm prepping for my 6:30am half marathon. No friend tracking with this one, so I'll try to check in before I head up to the cabin post-race so you know I'm alive. Big grin  I hope everyone has fun with grilling out and fireworks and that your dogs have good earmuffs!

hog4life

Good luck Obie!!

I got a slow 4 miles last night and everything still seemed to work ok. It was very, very slow with some walk breaks, I took Bella to make sure I made myself walk a little. She can't take this heat, so she has to stop more often. I'll do another short run tonight when I get off work.

Zelanie

Good luck, Obie!

PADRunner

Good luck Obie!

Happy 4th of July Penguins!

Have a safe one.

4 done this morning, work this afternoon.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good luck, Obie! I'm off to my 5k.

Happy 4th, Pens!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Good luck to our racers!

I have Pilates and 13 miles tonight.  Pilates soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Have a great race, Scotty, Jack and Obie.

Glad you got out Mitch and that everything worked.

Walking day for us.  Kids and neighbors coming over later for BBQ.

Happy 4th to all  !!!

obiebyke

Thanks, guys! I had a great race. Garmin time: 2:46:44. I'm a half marathoner!!!!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks, guys! I had a great race. Garmin time: 2:46:44. I'm a half marathoner!!!!!!

Way to go Obie  !!!!

Brilliant

Yay, Obie!  Congratulations!

I ran a 5k this morning.   I PRed by 23 seconds (my last 5k was this same one last year).

In case it isn't obvious, the race theme was Heroes.  Hardly anyone dressed up; I saw maybe 20.  Lots of runners in red, white, & blue though.  I hope my daughter doesn't mind when she sees this pic of me in her Captain America tshirt on FB. Big grin  It's pretty sweaty; I'll wash it & return it to her closet before she gets home.

One bad thing about the race (they did the same thing last year) is that their mile markers are way off!  It said 3 miles when my garmin said 2.45.  It's a little discouraging.  I heard someone say "oh we're almost done"....oh, no you're not!  One good thing about the race is that they email and text the results shortly after you finish!  I got mine about the time I got home.  Of course I have my garmin time, but it's nice to get the official one so quickly.

We're off to a 12 hour party today.  (approximately 11AM to 11PM)  Swimming, lawn games, BBQ, fireworks, etc.  Hubby doesn't want to stay the whole day so we might come home for a bit mid-afternoon; we need to let the dog out for a while anyway.   Happy Independence Day everyone!

Docket_Rocket

Yay, Obie!!!!!!!!

I cycled to Pilates and back for a third workout today.  I hope I can actually run tonight, as this woman and her torture machines killed me, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Yay, Obie!  Congratulations!

I ran a 5k this morning.   I PRed by 23 seconds (my last 5k was this same one last year).

In case it isn't obvious, the race theme was Heroes.  Hardly anyone dressed up; I saw maybe 20.  Lots of runners in red, white, & blue though.  I hope my daughter doesn't mind when she sees this pic of me in her Captain America tshirt on FB. Big grin  It's pretty sweaty; I'll wash it & return it to her closet before she gets home.

One bad thing about the race (they did the same thing last year) is that their mile markers are way off!  It said 3 miles when my garmin said 2.45.  It's a little discouraging.  I heard someone say "oh we're almost done"....oh, no you're not!  One good thing about the race is that they email and text the results shortly after you finish!  I got mine about the time I got home.  Of course I have my garmin time, but it's nice to get the official one so quickly.

We're off to a 12 hour party today.  (approximately 11AM to 11PM)  Swimming, lawn games, BBQ, fireworks, etc.  Hubby doesn't want to stay the whole day so we might come home for a bit mid-afternoon; we need to let the dog out for a while anyway.   Happy Independence Day everyone!

Congrats on the PR.  Nice pic!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

5k is done. 20:44. Not what I had in mind but it was OK. It was so damn hot and the race didn't start until 8:00, which was annoying. I did a three mile warm up with 1200m at 7:00 pace, some stretching and then three strides. My splits were 6:29, 6:27, 6:56, and the last bit was 6:33. Yes, mile 3 had a good hill in it that kicked my butt. After the hill I was able to kick to the finish. This was the first time I actually felt sick after a race. It felt like I was going to pass out or puke, or both. I blame the heat. Even after a tough marathon I felt ok. Today, no. I found a shady spot and sat down. I drank two bottles of water, ate a banana, and just felt like crap. Even driving home, DD said, "You look tired, Daddy." I probably went out too fast and the start was also uphill. I am still trying to figure out how to run 5ks, I guess. Eh, it's experience.

Good job Obie(you half marathoner, you!) and Brilliant.

Time for beer and World Cup.

Happy 4th everyone.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the 5K (or was it a 4K) PR, Brilliant.  Have fun at the 12 hour party.

Glad you survived (and enjoyed) the torture machines, D.