Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 11 - Cupid's Chase 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Full report below.    Sorry about some of the ‘shadowy’ photos. This event was primarily done in early morning darkness and my camera is not a great camera for night-time or dark-time photos.

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2011%20Cupids%20Chase%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 11th race of 2018 was Cupid's Chase 5K on Feb 10, held at O.P. Schnabel Park in San Antonio. Start time was 10 am, so got to sleep in a bit before this one. Weather was in the upper 50s, low 60s, and pretty humid and cloudy/overcast.  This event supports Community Options which helps people with disabilities. One reason I chose to do this event on my birthday - because I was a March of Dimes baby, born with a birth defect which was one of the factors in my getting the spinal arthritis I now have to deal with daily, so disability events are one of my causes.  I arrived with about an hour to go to the start and got a few photos.

With friend Mitch of iRun Texas that did the course setup, timing, etc.

ON THE COURSE

O.P. Schnabel has both off-road and paved trails.  In places it is a somewhat hilly area and we got several of those hills and inclined parts of the pavement.  We started from the park's main pavilion, did a little uphill, then turned right onto a short downhill, then down a large hill - which of course would be a large uphill for our finish, as this was an out-and-back course, - and then some course that Race Directors like to describe as 'gently rolling hills" lol.  Pretty nice course, but lots of up and down.  I managed to finish in 33 minutes and change, good enough for 2nd in my age group.

This is the 2-part hill we came down at the start, then went back up heading to the finish

AFTER MY FINISH

Stood near the finish line for a few minutes and got photos of some of the people I'd been interacting with on the course.   After that, wandered around to take some photos of various happy finishers, vendors, volunteers, etc.

Doggie and lady both glad to be done and sit down

This speedy young lady was 1st overall female

As usual, Bernadette placed first in her age group

EPILOGUE

Small event but nicely organized.  Well laid out course by iRun Texas race management company, who also did the timing, results, etc.  Post-race goodies, as expected for a race with a smaller budget, were pretty simple, water, sports drinks, various fruits, etc.  Everyone did get a finisher medal and awards medals were given to the first person in each age group. Nice quality race shirts too.   This is  a fun little event, one i would do again and would recommend.

Mucho thanks to all the people responsible for getting this one put on for we participants; all the volunteers, law enforcement out there for us, sponsors, vendors, race company, etc.  Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I love the costumes. Looks like fun.