Beginners and Beyond

Blerchy Weekend Peuguins (Read 29 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

This weekend, if you can't beat the Blerch, then join him!  I am driving up to Washington today for tomorrow's Beat the Blerch HM.  It will just be a fun run for me, and I'll be taking pictures and trying to enjoy the festivities.

It was going to be a family trip, but we have a houseguest this weekend, so DH is going to stay here and host while I drive up to stay with his sister.

Our houseguest likes to play Dominion, so we got a couple of rounds in last night. Smile

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

I ran just over 6 and felt fantastic! Big grin 23.73 miles for this week and 6 days in a row; taking tomorrow off from running but might jump in the pool and/or hit up the weight room in the morning.

I've been doing some running with my heart rate monitor this week, not strictly following any sort of guideline at this point, just using it as another tool for keeping an eye on effort. Muscle memory has my legs trying to run mid-low 9:00s, but my breathing gets all out of whack at that pace so having a numerical way to remind myself to slow down and keep the effort in check has been helpful for running consecutive days without wearing myself out.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I have my LR today since I have another LR on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, my husband is running on it now and says the belt is fucked up so I need to determine if it's the TM, or him. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Zel and Lauren.  SRD for us after Friday LR.  We will do a Walk-Walk instead.  Then watch some football.  Ducks vs. Spartans should be a good one.

Have a great weekend !!!

Amazonian Princess

Ten miles in Fresno heat and smoke

#earnedsomebadasspoints

I can. I will. I am. 

PADRunner

Morning all. 6 miles done this morning in 63 degrees. Even with the 80% humidity it  was great! Supposed to be better tomorrow form my LR.

Good luck with the Blerch Z and have fun..

Docket_Rocket

Have fun, Z!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I missed my PR by 23 seconds, finished in 1:51:55 which is waaaaaay better than last year's time of 2:07! I finished 93/~1400 OA, 8th/?? in AG. I took a nasty spill doing my WU and feel like shit right now, busted up my elbow, big spot of road rash on my thigh, and rolled my ankle.

Food, beers, nap, and rest now, I'll do a RR later.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon pens! This morning I did 17.3 miles in the humidity. It is my longest run to date Smile I'm feeling pretty decent right now but my feet are a little pissed because they got soaked with sweat. I wear thorlos and don't usually have issues with soaked feet if the humidity is okay. I wonder if there are other socks that would be better in humid conditions?

Hog - sorry you missed the pr by such a tiny amount. Still it says that your fitness is definitely there.

Zel - have fun at the half tomorrow! Go kill it!

Lauren - it is so great that you are back to running. Has the toe given you any issues at all?

Dr - hopefully it is just DH being stupid Tongue do you have a backup plan if the treadmill is broken? You guys should probably have two treadmills anyway Tongue

jerry - enjoy the well deserved rest day!

Bacon - great job on the 10

pad - good job getting it done in the humidity

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Zel - glad you got to play Dominion. Big grin

I'm on my way to Ventura for the expo. Staying in a hotel tonight,  then HM tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone,  too hard to type shout outs on my phone. Smile

Zelanie

Mitch- Nicely done!  Feels like things are improving for you this year!  Glad the spill didn't seem to affect your race, now rest and heal up!

Brilliant- Good luck tomorrow! Is heat still in the forecast?

Sapf- Maybe just putting Vaseline on your toes for LRs? It sounds weird, but I've done it before, especially for races, and it does work.

LRB

Afternoon pens! This morning I did 17.3 miles in the humidity. It is my longest run to date Smile 

Awesomeness. Cool

hog4life

Jill, what do you need/want on socks? For summer I usually wear the thin Swiftwick, or have worn my Swiftwick wool. I have plenty of runs where my feet are going "squish". I have no problems with either one causing blisters.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, what do you need/want on socks? For summer I usually wear the thin Swiftwick, or have worn my Swiftwick wool. I have plenty of runs where my feet are going "squish". I have no problems with either one causing blisters.

I was hoping to avoid sloshy feet =P  I'd put vaseline on my toes pre-run so they are mostly fine and unblistered, but the wetness just bothers me and I feel like my feet are heavy when they're so soaked.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)