Beginners and Beyond

Back by Popular Demand: FriDAILIES! (Read 42 times)

LRB

LRB

What it do?

Cyberic

to run or not to run.

happylily

Run!!!!!

I will attempt yesterday's 13 miler again tonight. It feels somehow grueling and it's only my first week of the cycle. Not a good sign.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Little Blue

OK, I have an honest question for Lily (and anyone else).  Didn't you just do a marathon quite recently?  It seems like there shouldn't be a big training cycle, if you do them as often as you do.  Doesn't your body just stay fairly well trained?

asks she who only runs one HM a year, and seems to start from scratch each time.

From the Internet.

Morning dailies. Kitty is hanging in there - prednisone seems to have perked her up a bit. I'm finally done crying my eyes out every day, just making the most of whatever time we have left.

I ended up at work much longer than I had planned yesterday so another rest day. That makes THREE of those this week! Unheard of! D:

Ran 10 with quality this morning - 2 mile warmup, 1 mile at tempo on the road in 8:15, about a minute jog right into 6x800 on the track with full lap recoveries. I was worried that I'd be slow after running exactly one workout post-race, and that was nearly a month ago at this point, but was pleasantly surprised - guess running a bunch of miles this spring is doing what it's supposed to do! First 800 I screwed up by hitting stop instead of lap at the start but I estimate that it was ~3:40, the rest of them were 3:37, 3:38, 3:40, 3:37, 3:30-high. That last one I had trouble gauging my effort since I surged past 2 separate people in the first 100 meters who decided that walking/slow jogging in lane 1 was a good idea - felt like I was moving in slow motion the first half of the second lap.

LRB

OK, I have an honest question for Lily (and anyone else).  Didn't you just do a marathon quite recently?  It seems like there shouldn't be a big training cycle, if you do them as often as you do.  Doesn't your body just stay fairly well trained?

asks she who only runs one HM a year, and seems to start from scratch each time.

The marathon is a literal and figurative beast, which zaps the life out of you.

For some it can take up 4 to 6 weeks to resume training at our pre-race level. For others, they are right back at it, sometimes the next day.

happylily

I used to run them every 10-12 weeks and I was getting stronger. It lasted 2 years. Since 2013, I've been getting slower, or if not slower, just stalling, because I am not giving myself the benefit of a full training cycle. So I want to change that. Of course, I could be getting slower because I'm so exhausted from running so many of them. Maybe I'll have to cut down to 2 or 3 a year at most.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Good morning and Happy Friday!  Slept in again this morning and so my morning run will now be an afternoon run.  Open water swim in a lake planned as well.  It'll be a beautiful day for that!

True to a point.  Your body needs time to recover after a cycle, and especially after the race.  The race itself, if you run it as hard as you can, leaves your body in ruin.  Once you recover though, in theory you'll be in better shape than before the race.   The training cycles themselves make you faster and stronger, thus the improved race times.  There is a progression in each cycle and you can't just fire off week 15 training runs in week 2.  So in short, do a cycle, race, recover, you're now faster, do a cycle, race, recover, you're now faster, etc.

<3

Zelanie

Morning!  I think my dog inhaled a grass seed, so I'm waiting around for the vet to open so that hopefully I can get her in.  Meanwhile, she is waiting around for me to feed her breakfast, which is just not going to happen in case she needs sedation.

I'm hoping to get the puppy dog to the vet, get my classroom cleaned out for the summer, and get an easy 4 in.  I think I'm a bit sore from the track.  My hips and butt are not happy with me.

cjones1

Maybe I'll have to cut down to 2 or 3 a year at most.

There's so much badass in this statement and you don't even know it. Smile

6m easy.  77 degrees at 5am.  Not cool, Earth, not cool.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

onemile

For some it can take 8 weeks and you still feel like shit. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 5 recovery miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Ran 10 with quality this morning - 2 mile warmup, 1 mile at tempo on the road in 8:15, about a minute jog right into 6x800 on the track with full lap recoveries.  

'Atta girl!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This Fridailies thing seems to be turning into a weekly happening.

Slept in but hope to get out to run before noon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.