Beginners and Beyond

RR- So I ran a 15k today (Read 45 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

This is my first RR, so be patient and don't have high expectations for my prose.

Today was the 6th annual Run For Don.  There is a 5k and this year they added a 15k.  It's a small race in Gainesboro, TN.  The biggest portion of the 15k was along the Cumberland River.  It's a very pretty, and pretty flat-to-me course. After letting RA correct it,  it has about 1200 ft of elevation gain.

I went into this race after a great summer of running.  I've stayed healthy, and have gotten a little faster.  The thing I have noticed most the last few months is how strong I feel, even after 15+ miles.  Anyway, I went into this race with three possible goals, C -1:25:00, B- 1:23:30, A- 1:22:00.  I beat my B goal and am very pleased with it.  I have very little race experience, so just seeing that I could hang to the end without fading was a great confidence booster.

The splits:

1  8:48
    2  8:43
    3  9:17 (pee break, dammit)
    4  8:49
    5  8:40
    6  8:46
    7  8:47
    8  9:04 (water station)
    9  8:49
    10  0.37 mi  8:35

Total 1:22:49 according to my Timex, which should be right with the gun.

It was about 60 and sunny at the start, and about 70 and sunny at the end.  The course was in and out of the shade, and I got pretty damn hot.  I don't usually drink anything if I'm running under 14 or so, but I got thirsty today.  I am pleased with my split consistency, considering my lack of experience at this racing thing.  I did have an asskicking week at work, with the last 3 days on a large hardwood install.  I know my legs would have been fresher without that.

Next up for me is a 1/2 on Oct 17th.  I feel very confident I can beat 2 hours.  Depending on how the next couple of weeks go, I may have a 1:55-1:57 goal.  Thanks for sharing a good running moment with me.

TL;DR

Middle-aged dude ran a slow 9.3 miles and feels good about it.

Runner with a riding problem.

onemile

Nice consistent splits.  Congrats!

LRB

WARNING: RACING CAN BE ADDICTING!

Brilliant

I can't believe you lost only 30 seconds for a pee break...!

Congrats on the great race.

Cyberic

From your splits, it seems you have this racing thing all figured out already! Congrats!

outoftheblue

From your splits, it seems you have this racing thing all figured out already! Congrats!

That was my first thought as well.  Congrats on a well run race!

Life is good.

LRB

Next up for me is a 1/2 on Oct 17th.  I feel very confident I can beat 2 hours.  Depending on how the next couple of weeks go, I may have a 1:55-1:57 goal.  Thanks for sharing a good running moment with me.

With this race experience under your belt and the cooler fall temps you will be in perfect position to race your best event.

music_girl117

I can't believe you lost only 30 seconds for a pee break...!

Seriously!  That is some fast peeing!  Did you maybe run a tiny bit faster just afterwards to make up for it?

Wonderful job; your splits are super even.  I think your chances at sub-2 in October are very, very good.  Congrats on a great race.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice first race! Those are some really consistent splits. And as a female who lose almost 2 minutes for a pee break, I am jealous of your 30 second one.

GinnyinPA

Good job.  Nice even splits bode well for your half.

WARNING: RACING CAN BE ADDICTING!

^ this.

Congrats, great job & good luck in your half!

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Thanks for the comments folks.

As far as the 30 sec loss on the pee break, it was a small race.  There was about 350 in the 5k, and 45ish for the 15k.  After the 15k route split off from the 5k a little before the 2 mile mark, runners got very spread out.  I went around a bend and no one was close behind me.  Lets just say I didn't have to get off the road or into a porta potty.  It doesn't  take long when you know what you need to do.

Runner with a riding problem.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race, way to go!  And you did just fine on your race report.  There's really no structured format for a report, lol...it's like our running, we all have our own individual styles! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Damn, you almost had that A goal. Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page