Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies - Running > not running. (Read 40 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran another 12 hilly miles. This morning was a good run, and  I was feeling appreciative of the miles I've been able to log.  Well, other than when I was going up that 1.5 mile 6% hill, and I was thinking about how stupid this hobby can be.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 4 miles.  Today is our boss' retirement party.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Moved my interval day to this morning because I have to leave earlier than usual for work tomorrow. I literally didn't sleep last night. Some A hole had their dog barking outside until about midnight. I almost didn't even run this morning but sometimes you just gotta suck it up and do it.

8mi w 8x800/ 2:00Rec. (Target Interval pace 2:54)

Splits 2:59, 52, 50, 54, 52, 54, 55, 52

Very happy with how these felt today. Effort was about the same on all of them except I couldn't quite find the correct pace. I can definitely feel myself recovering faster between efforts which means I'm beginning to get in better shape.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Nice runs Jay and PR.

Run commute day for me. Felt pretty recovered from my Sunday LR, so that's good.

The race I organize at work twice a year is held today at lunch. So that'll be fun. The best runner male and female won't show up (injury for him, and race schedule too busy for her) so the trophies will change hands.

Have a good day

delicate flower

Hiya sports fans!  I went easy on my 2800 yard swim this morning.  Chill mode, if you will.  I can't say I'll do the same on the bike tonight.

8mi w 8x800/ 2:00Rec. (Target Interval pace 2:54)

Splits 2:59, 52, 50, 54, 52, 54, 55, 52

That's fast.  Quick estimate says that's like a 5:45ish pace.  Nice job.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

As expected, "Advanced Marathoning" showed up as a birthday gift for me.  I'm about half way through the text part (i.e. excluding the training schedules).  I'll likely read through it a couple of times - the first time is to get a feel for what they're saying, and after that I'll look more closely at the details.  Even if I choose another plan (e.g. Hansons), just reading books like this helps inspire me to train better.  It may even inspire me to eat better, but that may be asking a lot.  It's hard to break 50 years of habits, especially growing up in a meat-and-potatoes family that likes rich foods (I can remember when once a month Sunday breakfast was doughnuts, but don't condemn my parents - there was a lot less awareness of food and obesity back then, especially for those who grew up in post WWII Europe).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

KCRuns

As expected, "Advanced Marathoning" showed up as a birthday gift for me.  I'm about half way through the text part (i.e. excluding the training schedules).  I'll likely read through it a couple of times - the first time is to get a feel for what they're saying, and after that I'll look more closely at the details.  Even if I choose another plan (e.g. Hansons), just reading books like this helps inspire me to train better.  It may even inspire me to eat better, but that may be asking a lot.  It's hard to break 50 years of habits, especially growing up in a meat-and-potatoes family that likes rich foods (I can remember when once a month Sunday breakfast was doughnuts, but don't condemn my parents - there was a lot less awareness of food and obesity back then, especially for those who grew up in post WWII Europe).

Wait, are you saying doughnuts AREN'T occasionally breakfast?  Hmmmm.....

*donuts (here we go...)

If you are Damaris, they are the required marathon race morning breakfast.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

When running, perhaps.  When spending the afternoon watching tennis on TV, not so much.  ;-)

Docket_Rocket

*donuts (here we go...)

If you are Damaris, they are the required marathon race morning breakfast.

A MUST!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I read, growing up in a rich family. 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I read, growing up in a rich family. 

I was thinking more in terms of dinners that included gravy or creamy sauces, and all the milk and ice cream was full fat.  Wealth is relative.  In the context of the entire global population of 7.5 billion, I suppose most people raised in NJ can be considered rich.  Not that my kids would think so when they get their allowance.  

Ugh.  Eating right.  What a PITA.  My intentions are good, but my execution leaves a lot to be desired.  The whole marathon training shit put me up 10 fucking pounds.  10.  That's a fuckton on a 5'4" person   It started with the expected bump I'd been warned about (apparently it's not weird for people to gain), and that 3-5 would have been ok and relatively easy to shave off again.  Problem is I have to stop eating like a college boy after the race is over since I'm not putting in 10 hours a week running.  And that's been my downfall, and it's crept up over the past 5 or 6 weeks.  My other problem is the hubs cooks amazing food all the time, but he never eats lunch or breakfast.  So he can afford to eat a 1,500 calorie dinner, but I cannot.

In the calorie burning quest, I went to spin last night and biked 20 miles to nowhere.  Jay, I also had a horrible night's sleep--I was sweating all night, so got up to change clothes once; then the dog had to go out; then there was a fucking earthquake that was not worth mentioning, but I got woken up fully to answer the question, "was that an earthquake?"  I don't know, and I don't care at 3:30 a.m., and I definitely do not have any desire to discuss it.  Google that shit tomorrow and find out all the deets you want, but leave me alone.  I'm not a seismograph, I don't have answers.  Anyway, I wussed out and didn't run this morning.  I should have, it's my kid's birthday and his favorite food is for dinner: hot dogs.  Mmmm, sodium!

I was thinking more in terms of dinners that included gravy or creamy sauces, and all the milk and ice cream was full fat.  Wealth is relative.  In the context of the entire global population of 7.5 billion, I suppose most people raised in NJ can be considered rich.  Not that my kids would think so when they get their allowance.  

I read that if you make >$34,000/year, you are in the richest 1% of the world's population. It was on the internet so it must be true.

Dave

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Ugh.  Eating right.  What a PITA.  My intentions are good, but my execution leaves a lot to be desired.  The whole marathon training shit put me up 10 fucking pounds.  10.  That's a fuckton on a 5'4" person   It started with the expected bump I'd been warned about (apparently it's not weird for people to gain), and that 3-5 would have been ok and relatively easy to shave off again.  Problem is I have to stop eating like a college boy after the race is over since I'm not putting in 10 hours a week running.  And that's been my downfall, and it's crept up over the past 5 or 6 weeks.  My other problem is the hubs cooks amazing food all the time, but he never eats lunch or breakfast.  So he can afford to eat a 1,500 calorie dinner, but I cannot.

Yeah, weight is a never ending battle for me, no running or running.  I only eat 2 meals a day.  I've convinced myself that while running, it's muscle mass and water retention that's adding the weight.  But I'm in taper week and already gained 5 lbs.  I need new lies to believe in.

Have fun at little LM's B-Day!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours