Beginners and Beyond

BQ'd my first marathon :) (Read 129 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Cliff notes:  Ran my first marathon and finished with a 3:14:07 (BQ 3:15), average pace 7:25/mile.  20th in my AG out of 237, and 123rd overall out of 2,781.

Longish version:

Lil back story first, for those who don't know.  Former fat guy (270lbs -> 185lbs) turned runner.  I've been running for a little less than two years, next month is my two year runiversary.  Seem to have a bit of a knack for this running thing, and have been enjoying it so far, so we'll see where it goes.

Training didn't go exactly as planned, started off on a Pfitzinger 18/70 plan, modified it to fit in a 50k trail race in December (ran it as an easy long run), then between recovering from the 50k and then getting sick twice in Jan, my training kinda crapped out.  Recovered somewhat in February with several strong long runs and semi-consistent running, but no speed work.  A couple of tuneup races in Jan/Feb pointed to a possible BQ, part of me thought about taking it easy and shooting for a 3:20ish, but then I knew I wouldn't be happy if I didn't at least give it a shot.

So I decided to go out with the 3:15 pace group.  I'm not going to break out my splits, partly because my Garmin got jacked up around mile 12, so I don't have good data after that, and partly because they were pretty consistent splits, that's the beauty of a good pacer.

I will say that the wind was a little ridiculous, 20+mph headwinds, especially along a 3 mile stretch of the boardwalk.  Luckily the pace group was still fairly large at that point and we tucked in tight to get through the wind, so that helped.

Then at mile 20, our pacer informs us that we need to go on without him, he's not going to be able to stay on pace (To his credit, he's a 2:40 marathoner with tons of races under his belt, sometimes you just have a bad day).  So the group, or rather what's left of the group at that point, stays together and continues on.  I felt really good and thought about going out on my own, but the wind was really bad through this section again, so I stayed with the group for a couple of more miles and struck out on my own at mile 22.

This was the first time in any race that I've been able to finish this strong and pass a fair amount of people at the end of the race.  I guess part of that is the fact that it's a marathon and a lot of people tend to fade at the end, and the other part is that I usually go out too fast and turn into one of those people that fade at the end.  I've only recently begun to master the skill of going out conservatively and finishing strong, and let me tell you, it felt great.

Overall, the race went exactly as I had hoped, pre-race and race fueling was perfect, energy levels were good throughout, stayed with the pace group and finished strong, couldn't have asked for a better race.  Well, less wind would have been nice, but that's pretty much a given at Shamrock, at least it wasn't raining. Smile

Hopefully some pictures will get posted tomorrow and I can throw them in here.  I was flying solo, so no pictures of my own. Sad

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Rondog65

Wow what a great inspirational story, to accomplish so much in such a short time.  Congrats on a great race!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

delicate flower

Big time congrats to you, D2!  That is a mighty impressive performance for your first marathon.  Can't say I'm surprised though...you're a hell of a runner.

<3

MothAudio

Major congrats are in order on many levels. Be proud. 

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Don't call me Buttercup!

You're awesome! Congrats on a well run race!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Congrats! That's awesome! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Great job and congrats

Marjorie

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Rondog, I'm still a little in shock over this whole running thing, never thought it would stick.

Thanks Phil!  I couldn't be happier, can't wait to see what another year and a little weight loss will do.  I should confess that I was not 185lbs today, I toed the line at 195lbs, haven't been able to shake a lil bit of extra weight I've picked up.  But I didn't want to cut calories while trying to salvage my training at the same time, so I just maintained.  This year will bring an even slimmer and faster D2. Smile

Thanks Mike!  Right now I'm saying that I won't be running Boston next year, just due to money, but we'll see if that changes come registration time.  That is, if my time will even get me in next year, what did the cutoff end up being this year?

Thanks Di!  I forgot to post in your thread, but it's great to see you here again! Smile

Thanks nova!

Thanks Marjorie!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hip Redux

Overachiever  Big grin   Nice work!

Nevrgivup

So happy for you Dave! See you in Boston in 2015! Big congrats!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LRB

It is a great undertaking to pace a marathon, at any pace.  I wonder how long he fought with himself before bagging it.

It sure must be a nice feeling to have everything come together for you like that!  Then again, you did run 26 miles as a training run just 'cuz you felt good!  lol

Who knows where you will top out, but until you do, enjoy the flight my friend!

That's awesome, congratulations.

Will run for scenery.

Wow, BQ  "just like that".  Pretty impressive. I had forgotten that this was your first marathon.  Now I guess you have to BQ every time......

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MothAudio

Thanks Mike!  Right now I'm saying that I won't be running Boston next year, just due to money, but we'll see if that changes come registration time.  That is, if my time will even get me in next year, what did the cutoff end up being this year?

I believe it was 1 minute and 38 seconds [but don't quote me]. Also, remember the demand to run Boston this year was very high, 2nd only to the 100th in '96. I suspect the cutoff will be more liberal in 2015. Boston ain't cheap but I know guys that have found ways 'round the high cost.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

From the Internet.

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing Smile