Beginners and Beyond

Better Things to Do TuesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

LRB

I've backed myself into a corner with my stupid lawn and need to act. Ugh.

I actually find grass cutting the most wasteful use of time when it comes to adulting. It's stupid.

Anyway, it's an unseasonably crisp 59 degrees right now so I at least have that going for me. Yay.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 with 4 X 800m tonight.

It is feels like 97F and 79 dewpoint right now. I'm staying inside the office for the rest of the month, thanks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

'Morning!  2400 yard swim done.  I can run limp free and with minimal discomfort, so I am thinking of doing the Tuesday night off road tri tonight.  65 degrees is just way too temping to pass up.  My ankle still looks kind of gross...the side of my foot is all black and blue.

<3

Docket_Rocket

'Morning!  2400 yard swim done.  I can run limp free and with minimal discomfort, so I am thinking of doing the Tuesday night off road tri tonight.  65 degrees is just way too temping to pass up.  My ankle still looks kind of gross...the side of my foot is all black and blue.

I forgot, did you ever go to the doctor?  Are you at least wearing something on it or taping it?  Ouch.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I forgot, did you ever go to the doctor?  Are you at least wearing something on it or taping it?  Ouch.

No and no!  Remember, if you ignore something long enough, it goes away.

<3

onemile

I ran 9 with the 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1 fartlek

Docket_Rocket

Sure it does.  Like my meniscus tear...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Oh, sure!  That was my theory when I tripped last December while running and bonked my head on the sidewalk.  Got a spectacular bruise and the chance to show off my amazing cover-up skills with makeup, but there was no convincing me to go to the doctor.  

At least when I tripped and fell just after mile 3 today (!), I managed to keep my head off the ground.  Skinned elbow, scraped-up palms, and a left hip that will likely show a pretty bruise later...but I went on to finish my 8 miles, so all is good.

This sounds like a bad idea.  Although, in complete seriousness, whenever I feel any  injuries developing, my usual thought is that a solid week of running will fix it right up. So, go for it.

8 w/10 strides.

I have always done strides as ~100m run, ~200m recovery. McMillan calls for 25 sec/1 min. I figured my usual method should be close enough. I went ahead and timed one of the strides - 25 seconds on the dot. Ha.

Dave

LRB

8 w/10 strides.

I have always done strides as ~100m run, ~200m recovery. McMillan calls for 25 sec/1 min. I figured my usual method should be close enough. I went ahead and timed one of the strides - 25 seconds on the dot. Ha.

I do them in time but it's the same difference. 20 - 40 seconds then recover 60 - 90 seconds. Intersections and street corners play a huge role in that so they're never consistent, but I don't get too caught up in the minutiae of the thing.

I do them in time but it's the same difference. 20 - 40 seconds then recover 60 - 90 seconds. Intersections and street corners play a huge role in that so they're never consistent, but I don't get too caught up in the minutiae of the thing.

That's kind of what I figure - I did some very rough math to tell me his time was comparable to my distance, but I timed a couple just to confirm. The way I do it works for me as far as keeping track of things, so I'll probably stick with it. He also says they should start around 5k pace, and work up to mile pace. But no way I can tune things that finely.

Onemile: I sent them an email asking how to export the online calendar to an excel file. Doesn't seem like you can, but he just sent me one, looks like the same format you got. If you are curious and want to see it, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Another cool feature of the online training calendar - I mentioned it can be set up to automatically pull workouts from GC; turns out it actually merges it with the planned workout description, so you can see what you were supposed to do right next to what you did.

Dave

onemile

Onemile: I sent them an email asking how to export the online calendar to an excel file. Doesn't seem like you can, but he just sent me one, looks like the same format you got. If you are curious and want to see it, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Another cool feature of the online training calendar - I mentioned it can be set up to automatically pull workouts from GC; turns out it actually merges it with the planned workout description, so you can see what you were supposed to do right next to what you did.

Sure, send it on over. I would like to see it.

This sounds like how Final Surge (what Hudson uses) works.  It automatically uploads from GC and updates the assigned workout on the calendar, leaving the description that the coach entered. And then you can enter comments and your coach can respond to them.

Sure, send it on over. I would like to see it.

This sounds like how Final Surge (what Hudson uses) works.  It automatically uploads from GC and updates the assigned workout on the calendar, leaving the description that the coach entered. And then you can enter comments and your coach can respond to them.

It is in fact Final Surge. Plan is on its way, for your amusement. Honestly it looks easier than Pfitz.

Dave

Cyberic

Hi all! I'm managing about 30-35 MPW until now on my vacation. I would have thought all my minor aches would go away wih the lower mileage, but not really. I walk so much that I have the normal runner's aches. A bit different but pretty much the same.

On the pizza front, I'm sick of it, and I'm even sicker of ham (or salami) and cheese sandwiches. Today at lunch we had McDonald's . We're cooking supper again this evening.

onemile

It is in fact Final Surge. Plan is on its way, for your amusement. Honestly it looks easier than Pfitz.

It seems like he's giving you too much cut/back recovery for those two early races. I'd probably do a long run the day after your 5k. You are accustomed to that.  And maybe up those low days a little, depending on how you are feeling. I assume these aren't goal races in August and they are more 'train thru' races.

Some of these workouts will end up being pretty long if you do the long end of the wu/cd (which I think you should)

Like this one will probably end up being 13-14 miles:

20-30 minute Warm-Up + Tempo Interval Workout: 5 x 1600 meters with 3 minutes recovery jog followed by 3 times 200 meters with 200 meter recovery jog + 20-30 minute Cool-down

And then the next week, you get to do that same workout but with an extra mile!  And I am estimating that week at 74 miles total (if you do the higher end, which you should).  And then another ~74 mile week in week 5.  About 75 in week 4, with a 22 miler!

You'll have fun with those 25-30 min cool downs. 

Maybe it's easier than Pfitz (not by a lot I don't think) but I think it's good to switch things up. You'll get to try some hill repeats too.