Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins in hibernation (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, hibernation wannbe, anyway.  It's 10:30 and I've had 13 email conversations so far, several of which have had multiple replies.  So I'm kinda wishing I could crawl into a hole, so the world can learn to spin without me.  Unfortunately that's not happening today!!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, so I need to review Saturday's coaching.  Plus running samples, trying to keep my column pressure down, searching data, and those pesky email conversations, some of which actually require my input.

Woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Working from home today and ended up a 2 hour court hearing by phone, sheesh.  I have DOMS today.  Not pain but tightness.  Have to remember to walk every 30 minutes because the first few steps are like WTF.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - are the emails at least work related? Good luck getting your other work done

D - do you set an alarm to remind yourself to move?  Good luck with the healing. I hope you weren't on pain pills during the telephone hearing.

AFM:  I have 5ish to do today. It's warm (40), but windy and rain is due soon, so I'm not sure where I'll end up running.

Zelanie

No hibernating for me, I have to do a time survey in 15 minute increments all month. I guess this post is OK if it doesn't take most of a 15 min chunk?

D, glad you're on the mend!

Docket_Rocket

I have not taken any meds since the surgery.  So, yes, I was conscious in court.  Court again now.  This makes it hard to get up and move.  Not doing a good job.  LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy Tuesday yesterday.

The good:  Did 6 miles at Fort Sam Houston in the morning.   Very nice, felt good, temp was in the low 60s, sweet weather.  Felt good.  Have not done 6 miles in a long while, so this was a nice mental boost that I could still even do 6 miles, with this stupid arthritis.

The bad:  My 180,000-miles-on-it 2005 Ford escape that I've driven for the last 12 years finally decided it was time to be put out to pasture.  Mechanic told me to fix it, it would be around $1800.  As this was about the 3rd major repair it needed in the last year, I figured it was trying to tell me something.  When the repairs get that costly, time to get a new one.

The good:  A local Ford dealer actually gave me a pretty good trade-in deal for my old vehicle, all things considered, since it was not in the best shape any more.  Escape is the vehicle I've liked the best out of all the vehicles I've ever owned, so I went with another Escape, this one a 2017.  Got a pretty good deal on it too - they even gave me a 'retired military' discount - but of course, now I have a car payment again - that was nice with my old Escape, at least I did not have a car payment, but the repair bills might as well have been, lol - so will probably have to manage my budget a bit better now.  Probably will not do as many races this year as I did last year.  Oh, well, it is what it is.

Today after work, probably going to do a run/walk around the university gym, very easy,  3 to 4 miles.  Nice day today in San Antonio, going up to around 76 degrees, with mild humidity.  My kinda running weather...I really hate the cold, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scott - it is hard to decide when to finally give up on a vehicle like that. You keep thinking, "I just spent $1000 to get it fixed, I can't just throw that away.  I need to get some return on the investment."  But of course, you just end up with another bill, and another. We had a pickup that we kept much too long.  Finally I think we gave it away, we were so tired of the endless repair bills. We have an Escape now and it's been a really good car for us.  Also an F150 for the camper. That one has 150,000 miles.

D - I'm glad you don't need any pain meds.  That's a very good sign.

Z - I had to do that for a temp. job once.  I hated having to stop and write down what I was doing all day. It seemed like such a waste of time. But that was a very strange office anyway.

I finally got myself out the door mid-afternoon, and once again, the storm circled around us so I ended up with intermittent sunshine on my run.There was a cold wind though, so I dressed warmly, and was glad I did.  I ended up with 6.3 miles on rolling hills with 10 strides just to liven things up.  Fun run.