Beginners and Beyond

Nata's HM report - warning, contains a good share of whining (Read 90 times)

Nata2011

Short version. Was shooting for at least under 1:55, went out a bit too fast (8:20-ish), had to make a pit stop at mile 3. Temp got into high 50s (from 30-ish at the start) by mile 7 - with direct sun, and I faded badly (into low 9's) by mile 11. Still ran 1:55:36 which is pretty close to my PR of 1:55:07 (at least I am consistent). Oh well I will get over it. I have 3 20-milers coming up - no time for sadness...

Long version. I was a little bit worried about this race. Worked some late nights this past week, and just felt very tired when I woke up this morning. In addition to that, whatever I ate last night was not sitting well with me. So I popped two Imodium pills, ate a very small bowl of cereal and headed out. The race started at 7:30. I dressed somewhat lightly - in t-shirt and arm sleeves and Capri pants at the bottom.

The gun went off and here we are, running. Pretty congested during the first mile, still clocked something around 8:30. Feeling wonderful. Mile 2 - shoe got untied (forgot to double-knot it after I got my chip in), mile 2 was still around 8:25. At mile 3 I decided to make a porta pot stop - did not slow me down by much, still around 8:30 average. At this point the air still feels very chilly, the sun starts coming out. Bye bye arm sleeves. Feels great. I averaged about 8:30 through 7 miles.

And then the sun shined brightly, and I started to feel overheated. Went from feeling great and chilled to overheated in a matter of a mile. The course was starting to get very congested - it was out and back through pretty narrow greenway. I could not find my pace - felt like I was slowing down and speeding up sporadically, depending on situation around me. Stepped on the same guy a couple of times - so sorry but I was kind a out of it. Miles 8,9, and 10 were somewhere in 8:40-8:50 range. At mile 11, 12, and 13 I faded into low 9's....

I felt terrible for the last 4 miles. The frustrating part was that my muscles and joints were totally fine, I had trouble breathing and had that horrible nauseating feeling that I was going to pass out (later I learned that one of my faster friends nearly fainted at mile 11 and the other one got sick and finished about 25 min over his usual time). I was jogging next to the ambulance for about a mile and was seriously considering jumping in (just for a second, but that did cross my mind).

There is God, I see the finish line! I crossed it and folded over in half and wanted to cry. Felt much better in 5 minutes, like nothing happened, except I could not seem to stop coughing. Still have some weird stuff on my chest. 1:55:36, slightly worse than my PR of 1:55:07. At least I am consistent I blame my fail on the weather - it was great, but I ran my tempos in a long sleeve shirt with 20F out, and I feel that I am just not acclimated to 60F, even in a T-shirt. My best races are ran around 30-40F, and in the fall - less differential of temp between start and finish.

Overall, I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with the result - I feel that I did the best I could, but PR was not in the cards today. It was just a bad run. Second worse after my Country Music walk of shame in 2012 - my first official attempt at sub 2hr which failed badly. I am dreading the country music marathon which is coming up. I hope we will have enough warm weather for me to acclimate. In any case - there will be no time goal, just want to finish Thanks for reading!

LRB

There is God, I see the finish line!

That was funny!

Your indifference towards the result is appropriately placed, I cannot run distance in heat either and likely would have felt the same way.  While 60 degrees may not be considered heat for many, it is the equivalent of a blast furnace for me!

I have never had a shoe come untied during a race (knock on wood) but that has got to be one of the most maddening things ever!  Sounds like you recovered well though from that and your pit stop.  Did you ever determine what it was that made you ill?

Nata2011

LRB  - would not take it my issues as far as being "ill" - just moderate GI issues. I am thinking it was potato salad, it was takeout and it had a little bit more fat in it that I am used to (I make mine with a little bit of olive oil).It was very tasty, just not the best pre-race feedSmile

I will probably jog my marathon in April and then will work on speed for a 5k during the summer - with another goal HM in the fall. Does not make any sense to have a goal HM any sooner as it will be only warmer.

Love the Half

I never buy the "I have no time goal" thing.  Would you really be satisfied with a 3:15 finish?  If not, then you have some time goal even if it's not a PR type of goal.

I have overheated a few times on training runs and when it happens, there is nothing you can do but slow down.  No amount of willpower is sufficient to keep going at the same pace.  The good thing about targeting a fall race is that you will be acclimated so that even if it's a bit warmer, you still have a good shot at running a fast race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry you were disappointed but don't be so hard on yourself.  Considering the temp rise and you not being acclimatized to warm weather running yet, and still finishing so close to your PR...you did great!  Congrats on your half and good luck with the upcoming Country Music Marathon.  If you don't have warm weather in your area to run in, maybe you could 'overdress' a bit and do a  few training runs of TM running at a local gym or something to help you acclimatize to being warm while you run.  Just be careful and make sure to stay well hydrated.

Or you could come visit San Antonio for a while.  April is coming and by then we should be well into the 60s and 70s...by May we will be in the 80s...you'll get acclimatized to HEAT in no time!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I never buy the "I have no time goal" thing.  Would you really be satisfied with a 3:15 finish?  If not, then you have some time goal even if it's not a PR type of goal.

I have overheated a few times on training runs and when it happens, there is nothing you can do but slow down.  No amount of willpower is sufficient to keep going at the same pace.  The good thing about targeting a fall race is that you will be acclimated so that even if it's a bit warmer, you still have a good shot at running a fast race.

True dat.  Everyone has at least some type of time-goal in mind. Mine is always to finish by sunset. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I think you were close enough to your goal to feel like you accomplished it.  Sorry you missed a PR by that little but like you said, at least you are consistent.

Good luck on the marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Nata, don't be too hard on yourself, you did great even though you faded. I've heard the heat can be tough for MCM in April, I hope it's not too hard on you. I think that Mercedes in February is a good target for a PR half. Train all winter and race in the cold too.

Nata2011

Thank you guysWink

Docket - yes I guess I should be happy it was close

ScottyDog - overdressing is a great idea! I am also thinking about doing that hot yoga stuff - it's 105F in there, and humid - should workSmile

LTH - I am running Country Music Marathon, so yes I would be satisfied with 3:15 finishSmile

Just kidding, I know you read it as I did not

have a goal for Country Music HALF.

You  are right - I do have somewhat of a goal - 4:30-4:45 range depending on weather. If it's 40F (highly unlikely) - I will push for 4:15. CMM is so unpredictable....

Nata2011

Hog4life - yes, I think Mercedes Half is a great race

Congrats Nata.

For not feeling at your best, and being too warm, and being sabotaged by a pesky shoelace, almost matching your PR is admirable.  Well done!

Zelanie

So your bad runs these days are very close to what your very best runs were in the past- I'd call that an improvement!

I'm noticing a similar issue here with adjusting to the change in temps.  It went up about 15 degrees pretty much overnight, and the humidity went right up with it.  And I am feeling it big time!  Obviously these are temperatures and dew points that I would give anything for in the summer, but right now I'm feeling it because it's so different than what I'm used to.

Hope that you have some good training and that your marathon goes well!

Will run for scenery.

Kind of an echo, but not every race is going to be your best one. And who (but D) is ready to run in the heat ?

Did you know that in Spain the word "nata" means whipped cream ?  Absolutely irrelevant, but awesome!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

LRB

Did you know that in Spain the word "nata" means whipped cream ?  Absolutely irrelevant, but awesome!

lol

delicate flower

I wouldn't call that a "bad run."  Try missing your HM PR by 19 minutes...now that's a bad run.  Wink

Sorry it didn't go as well as you had planned.  It's hard when neither your body nor race conditions work in your favor. 

<3