Beginners and Beyond

My Very First Half Marathon - Bryan College Station HM RR (Read 289 times)

TxDiverMom

Short version:  Finished my first HM.  It was really hot.  My time was 3:12:55.  I'm pretty happy with that.  Not quite my goal, but with the heat, it will do!

Sunday was my first half marathon.  Drove up to College Station (it's about an hour from my house) on Sat. afternoon and picked up my packet and my swag.  Looked around at the expo and bought a spibelt.  I've been wanting one of those.  We met up with the rest of our group and then left and attempted to drive the course and find where my hubby would watch for me during the race.  We were quite unsuccessful at driving the course.  Parts of the course went through the A & M campus and weren't driveable streets.  No biggie...head home and have pasta dinner and attempt to go to bed early.  I wasn't reasonably successful at that!

Of course, I didn't get the finisher shirt and the medal until I actually finished!

Drove up with my hubby Sunday morning.  We got there about 6:15.  I wish we'd been a little earlier.  Luckily, parking was great.  This was a very well planned and small event.  The start line was right beside a big mall, so there was tons of parking about 1/4 mile from the start.  We took a bunch of pics and then I hit the porta potties.  This is my daughter and I before the race.  She's a pretty kick-ass athlete.  Look at those thighs...that's not fat!

Unfortunately, I waited too long to get in the porta pottie line.  Live and learn!  The line moved slow and before I knew it they were singing the Star Spangled Banner and the race started.  I just went ahead and went to the porta pottie.  I was one of the last ones across the start line.  There were probably 50 people behind me.  I wanted to catch the 3 hour pace group and maybe see some of our group.  In hindsight, this was a BIG mistake!

Around mile 1, I caught the 3 hour pace group and passed them.  They were running 2 minutes and walking 1.  I was running at about 13 mm.  I think the 1st mile was 12 mm.  BIG mistake!  LOL!!!  See a theme here!  Also, did I mention the weather?  Well, it was hot and humid.  Thankfully, it was totally overcast and a little windy.  I really don't like the wind much, though.  It was right at 70 degrees when we started and I think about 73 when I finished.  80% humidity or somewhere around there.  I skipped the first water station.  Probably a mistake here as well.  I usually carry a handheld and sip as I go.  I'm not a gulper and probably should have taken a little at every station.  There was water and gatorade every 1.5 miles. 

Around mile 2, I caught up with my daughter's 2 friends who were walking/running. One is in good shape and wanted to run.  The other, not so good and wanted to walk.  I think they argued most of the way.  LOL!  I saw them periodically for about 5 miles.  I continued on at 13 mm for around 5 miles.  I slipped down to 13:30 for mile 6.  By miles 5-6 I was with the 3 hour pace group and stayed with them through about mile 9.  By then, I was getting a bit tired and was looking for my hubby in a park where he was supposed to be watching. He had been in the park earlier, but he and our group of watchers had to leave to see the first of our group finish.  I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't there.  I really needed somebody then to tell me it would be ok and that I'm amazing.  I was so surprised at how much the supporters along the route meant.  I really wasn't expecting that some random person could mean so much to me!  Also, miles 1-5 were mostly uphill.  Small inclines, but still uphill and the wind was a headwind.  It made it kind of hard.  I certainly went too fast.  LOL!  Oh yeah...Big mistake.

At about mile 10, I knew I would miss 3 hours and really wasn't surprised.  The heat was just too much along with my inexperience in racing and starting out too fast.  Around mile 10, the toes in my right foot began to cramp.  I have issues with cramping toes quite often.  Not when running...just when sitting around.  They can cramp at any time.  Sometimes it seems like when I'm doing something.  Sometimes it's the shoes (heels).  Sometimes it's that they are cold and won't quit till my feet get warm.  I've had toe cramps my whole life and wish they'd go away.  So at this point, I finally started walking more than running.  Around 6-9 I still mostly ran, but walked a little.  However, not long after the cramps began, I came upon a Veteran who was running on a prosthetic limb.  They had announced him before the race.  The timing for me was perfect.  I thought..."Suck it up, Buttercup!  If he can do this, so can you!!!"  I tried to relax and by 12.5 the cramps were going and I was able to run about a 1/3 of the time, but slowly.  And when I say slowly, I mean SLOWLY!  LOL!!!  I think my pace for the last 3 miles was about 16:30.  It's pretty much what did my time in. 

My daughter texted me at about mile 11.5 and asked me to text her when I got to 13.  (I carry my phone and listen to music in one ear.)  I started running near 13 and finished strong.  She met me before the finish and gave me a big hug.  She told me I was crying (happiness and overwhelming emotion) but I don't remember that.  She said go finish and I ran in.  I was AWESOME!!!  It was an amazing experience and I will definitely do it again!  I was only 12:55 off my goal time and I felt that was great with the heat and humidity.  I think I'll make it next time!

BTW, my daughter finished in 2:36.  She did one run of 7 miles and otherwise ran about twice a week for 2-3 miles each.  She was with the 2:15 pace group till about mile 10.  That's what youth and being in good shape overall does for you!

I've run a couple of easy runs this week of 2.5 miles each.  I feel pretty recovered now. 

Me crossing the finish line.  Note to self:  Get running clothes that fit better.  Clothes that are too big make you look fat!

This was a small race.  2,750 half marathon limit and 900 marathoners.  The whole event was extremely well organized.  It gets great reviews.  It was so much fun!!!  I think they had everything one could expect out of a race.  Later stations had medical aid (bandaids, vaseline, advil) some had gu, some had orange halves.  Loved it all!!!

After I finished running, I got very dizzy.  I was seeing spots and held onto my hubby.  I think he was a little worried.  After a couple of minutes I felt a little better, but still not quite right.  I got in the food and drink line and started drinking the water right away.  I started eating the pizza roll immediately too.  I think I need nutrition and I also think my blood pressure dropped.  It seems it's really common to get dizzy afterwards if you just stop.  I should have walked around for a few minutes.  I will know better next time and hubby will be waiting with OJ!  But I was never dizzy while running.  Only after I stopped. 

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  I don't know what's going on lately, but we're drowning in heat and humidity this month.  You would think we would get a break, no?  Hope you're recovering nicely.

Congrats on your first.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anomalous

on your first! The heat was probably a factor at the end. 

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Craig42

Congratulations on your first HM!

It was also my wife's first HM, and my second.  (She had a similar experience with the slow porta pottie line before the start).

Heat and humidity was tough,  but it was a great, well organized event.

Congrats on the finish. Great job! I had a similar experience with being disoriented at the finish. I sort of had tunnel vision and couldn't find my wife. I was just wandering around until she came and grabbed me by the arm. I did feel better after eating a couple of pieces of orange and drinking something. I think my sugar took a dive at the end. Should have taken the gel at mile 12 I guess. Willis
            Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

You did fantasic! I'm so glad you had a great time (other than the heat)! Your daughter did great too, and what a sweetheart to give you a hug that carried you across the finishline! Hope you keep racing & enjoying it! Brenda

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

Jess runs for bacon

Awesome work! I definitely recommend sipping water, you probably got dizzy at the end from being dehydrated. But you did it!! Yay!!

On a side note, do you get enough potassium? That might be the source of your cramps.

Pinktastic

Congrats on your first of what I'm sure will be many HMs!!   Heat and humidity totally takes the wind out of your sails.    Good for you for sticking with it and finishing!  Keep up the great training work and you'll set a PR in your next HM!!   :-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Congratulations on your first HM. Sounds like you did a great job in tough conditions.

cmb4314

Congrats on your first HM! 

After I finished running, I got very dizzy.  I was seeing spots and held onto my hubby.  I think he was a little worried.  After a couple of minutes I felt a little better, but still not quite right.  I got in the food and drink line and started drinking the water right away.  I started eating the pizza roll immediately too.  I think I need nutrition and I also think my blood pressure dropped.  It seems it's really common to get dizzy afterwards if you just stop.  I should have walked around for a few minutes.  I will know better next time and hubby will be waiting with OJ!  But I was never dizzy while running.  Only after I stopped. 

That happened to me after my second marathon - I was fine while running, but very gradually as I walked away from the finish line, my peripheral vision started to get weird.  I think it was the rapid change in blood pressure from, like you said, stopping suddenly after doing such intense activity for so long.  I just sat down and ate some of my post-race snacks, and was okay in a few minutes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Misty

Congrats on your first HM!! You and your daughter did great!

Misty

Bless your heart.

Weezer88

Congrats on your first HM!   Humidity can really suck the life out of you.  You persevered and finished strong.  Loved the 'Suck it up buttercup' part!

I AM WEEZER.

meaghansketch

Congrats on finishing your first HM!  Warmer temperatures have a big effect and that gets magnified the longer you're out there.  I hope you are able to recover well and get training for your second one-- I think that with slightly cooler temperatures and if you're able to hold yourself back a bit better the first few miles, you will definitely get your time under 3 hours soon. 

runnerMiMi

Great report. I ran this race too. I bet I was pretty close to you on the course. I stayed near the 3-hour pace group - either just in front or behind me (they were doing a walk/run) and managed to finish about 6 minutes ahead of them. I agree that the heat and humidity were awful. My time was over 30 minutes off my PR. You should come back to College Station in March for the Armadillo Dash HM. It's a great race as well.

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, especially in the heat!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!