Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos:9/11 Heroes Run 5K (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photoshttp://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2044%209-11%20Manion%20Foundation%20Heroes%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 44th race of 2016.  The 9-11 Travis Manion Foundation Heroes 5K [http://www.travismanion.org/911-heroes-run/ ] is done in multiple cities across the US to remember the fallen and honor local veterans, first responders and their families, and to remember the fallen and their families.  The foundation is named for Travis Manion, a Marine officer who made the ultimate sacrifice in 2009 during duty in Iraq.  Today, through the Foundation and its mission, Travis' legacy lives on in the words he spoke before leaving for his final deployment, "If Not Me, Then Who..." [http://www.travismanion.org/about-the-foundation/our-mission/ ]

This event began with a ceremony to plant a seedling tree from Ground Zero on university grounds.  Race start time was 9 a.m., so after the ceremony, I had time to wander around and take a few pre-start photos.   Excuse the shadows in some of the photos, we had a bright sunny day for this event.

Start/Finish Line

photo 021_zps1hctqher.jpg

Memorial Wall inside the building near where we started and finished

photo 010_zpsrsi0hug0.jpg

My fellow veteran members of Team RWB (Red White Blue) were well represented at the event.

photo 007_zpsrpj5vasu.jpg

photo 002_zpscdm92gew.jpg

photo 003_zpsmzxoprl1.jpg

photo 004_zps7vmzb6e9.jpg

photo 011_zpsonc3e1vx.jpg

photo 014_zpscwpck0m9.jpg

In front of the start/finish line

photo 016_zpss0hr9cdu.jpg

photo 018_zps8kd2aljn.jpg

photo 019_zpsbpzm5b52.jpg

Young Marines detachment

photo 001_zps1ex8byjg.jpg

Our MC for the event did a great job

photo 008_zpsmxha4af4.jpg

As did our sound-and-music man

photo 009_zpsvkcvya6c.jpg

Two young lady participants

photo 005_zpsw4huw5fq.jpg

Getting Ready to Start

photo 022_zpsj3ckyvwo.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Texas A&M-San Antonio is still a young local university still in the process of growing; so for course options there really is not much choice yet.  Thus, the course was an out-and-back on concrete roads which allow entrance and exit to-and-from university grounds.  Pretty boring course, as far as scenery goes, but I am sure that will change in the future as the university grows and different course options become available.  Pretty similar to what happened with the university I work for, University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas A&M-San Antonio is now following a similar path.  We had pretty nice weather for this one temperature wise - only around 76 degrees or so - but on the concrete with no shade and the bright sun reflecting on it, it felt a bit warmer than that.   Even so, everyone seemed fine - I didn't see anyone fall out, thank goodness - and the event was well organized, with water on the course for those who wanted it.  There were a couple of fairly mild hills/inclines on the course, not too bad, but after my Trail Run 5K the day before this event, my legs did feel it a bit.

Heading toward 1-Mile.  Going to turn right at the stop sign.

photo 023_zpsfqdezjlb.jpg

Looking back the way I had just come

photo 024_zpstkn9syea.jpg

photo 025_zpszjmpsisr.jpg

Heading toward the turn-around point

photo 026_zpsu4my5ktd.jpg

Looking back...folks on the right already heading to the finish

photo 027_zpsigjw8fgx.jpg

I made the turn-around and am now looking back where I came from.  To get to the turn-around we went up this hill.  You can just see the "Tower" above one of the trees.  The turn-around point was just beyond the police vehicle at the top of the photo.

photo 028_zpsdjxd2ljh.jpg

One more hill to climb.  I'm on the right.  People on the left are heading to the turn-round point.

photo 029_zpsmz0jis6y.jpg

photo 030_zpslfv3laqm.jpg

My friend Karen walked the course.  Here she is heading to the turn-round.

photo 031_zpssuiup69j.jpg

Up I go....

photo 032_zpsxizratay.jpg

On the original road I started on...heading back to the finish...

photo 033_zpsxcezrhoo.jpg

Coming up behind me...

photo 034_zps0qomq3jm.jpg

photo 035_zpsp4z1oqty.jpg

photo 036_zpsg4us6vqz.jpg

After that, it was non-stop back to the finish.  I ended up with a finish time of 37-something, which was good enough for 3rd in my age group of 60 - 99.  Sounds like a large age group, but there were actually only 3 in my age group, lol.  So I placed.  Hey, I'll take it!   Besides the 5K, there was also a 1 mile walk event.

AFTER THE FINISH

I ran in the proximity of these two for most of the course.  The kid did great!  I'd stop to take photos, he'd pass me, I'd catch up again.  He was very steady pretty much the whole way.   I got a finish photo of him and his Dad.

photo 037_zpsytqtnw54.jpg

Inside the building to cool off a bit.  This was in one of  the rooms in the building.

photo 038_zpsdxtkas05.jpg

photo 039_zpsobm1b7nv.jpg

Other "Happy Finishers", etc...

photo 040_zps4xy4zkno.jpg

photo 041_zpsz39wmu56.jpg

photo 042_zpsdstgzimh.jpg

photo 043_zps005mxtgu.jpg

These guys are wearing the shirts participants and volunteers got

photo 044_zpsmkwfflmg.jpg

photo 045_zpsa83aptyo.jpg

photo 046_zpsynk7dlcc.jpg

photo 047_zpssi6hbodi.jpg

photo 048_zps6kyndyzu.jpg

I sneaked up on my friend Karen and got a photo of her best side.  Just kidding, Karen!   She did smack me for it, too.

photo 050_zpscbu3gopk.jpg

photo 051_zpsc6jcwwff.jpg

I thought this was funny...'curb people' all relaxing post race.

photo 052_zpsvezmbqbt.jpg

I did then tell them I took the photo and got a frontal photo of them

photo 053_zpslu44s0df.jpg

This guy, here with his friend, carried the flag for the whole route.

photo 054_zps67nfgzfi.jpg

Little medal winners.  The kid on the right finished in 30:24, sheesh.

photo 055_zps3frgn2hi.jpg

photo 056_zps7tbptfpo.jpg

Dad got a medal too.  It must run in the family.  Literally! 

photo 057_zpshlixei6m.jpg

Karen and I both placed in our age groups

photo 059_zps8rnshrzs.jpg

Two more medal winners

photo 060_zpsm8a8pvyi.jpg

"Cute" and patriotic little family....

photo 061_zpsn0je8qao.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized event and very nice to have indoor restrooms and air-conditioned building to cool off in after the finish.  Considering this is still a relatively new campus without many facilities or roads yet, the course was well thought out.  As this university continues to grow, I am sure there will be many route options in the future on the campus.   Very nice age group award medals; nice post-race goodies, a bib-number raffle (I got nada, darn the luck), nice tech tees for volunteers and participants.  All in all, a very well done event for a good cause.  MUCHO THANKS Texas A&M San Antonio for the use of their facilities; to all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, firefighters, etc., all the folks who made this one happen for we participants, and in remembrance of those lost and in recognition of the survivors.  Certainly would do this one again in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a great race.  Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

"Dad got a medal too.  It must run in the family.  Literally!"

lol