Beginners and Beyond

Tried but true Sunday Penguins (Read 324 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning penguins!

I tanked my 5K yesterday . Average pace was my half marathon speed. Maybe I'll get the nerve to post a RR.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry About the race Gustavo.  Have a good Sunday.  I will do 5 miles with dw  this morning.  Brrrrrrrrr......

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Gustav - thanks for starting us off!  Definitely post a RR, we need to get this forum headed back in the direction of being a running site!

Jerry - hope you and the DW have a good one!

AFM - headed  out shortly for a very chilly 10.  Learning how to dress in this weather is key and this will be my coldest run yet.  I'm planning on tights maybe under a light upper layer of windpants, under armour coldgear shirt under a long sleeved tech shirt.  Gloves, earband.  Smartwool socks.   Hopefully I don't miss the mark too badly!

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for getting us started Gustav!  Sorry the 5K didn't go as well as you'd hoped!

Jerry, enjoy the run later and try to stay warm!

Very cold here this morning.  Brrrr...  Going to give it another half hour and then head out for 13.

Have a great day!!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Hey, Liz!  Hope you have a good run too!  Sounds like you have a good plan to stay warm!  

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Good morning friends, Gustav- sorry bout the 5k. Jerry- enjoy the run with DW Doc- hopefully you get the clothes figured out. That can be a pain. Jen- good luck in the run later. You will do great. AFM - I am scheduled to be off, but I may hop on the dreadmill for a mile to keep a streak going. It hasn't been very long, but might as well keep at it. I hadn't posted much lately on the RWOL site, so here is what inhavendone lately. 9 on sat, 2 on Friday, 13.5 on thanksgiving. 4 or so on both mon and tuesday. Hopefully we can get some more penguins to join us. Make today great, Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Shakedown Street

I am out for my post thanksgiving-drank too damn much wine 15 miles today, then off to put up xmas lights, fall off roof, ride bikes with kids then go ride myself.

gustav-sometimes it just blows.

jerry and dw, jen-stay warm

doc-smartwool is the besets, graduated compression socks are on sale at runningwarehouse (I loveeeee these)

Rod-take the day off or run....hmmmmmm

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Good morning colonists!

Gustav1, thank you for getting us started and I’m so sorry about your 5k.  That wicked stinks. 

Jerry, enjoy the cold run with the wife today!

Liz, good luck on the cold run! I hope you figure out the right layering combo.  Yesterday’s run was 35 degrees and that was the coldest I’ve run yet but I was still in a skirt, and long sleeve fleece lined top and it was perfect.  My running friends tell me I’m a freak of nature because I always run warm.

Jen, good luck on the cold 13 miles.

Tomas, yay! You are here too! Hey every streak starts somewhere!

Jneilt, good luck on the run and the rest of your day.  Sounds like you have a very full day ahead of you!

AFM- I’m not scheduled to run today but I’ll do weights and yoga.  If that doesn’t make me feel too tired and I get some other stuff done without feeling wiped out I’ll head out for another 2 or 3 slow miles and see how it goes.  Have a great Sunday everyone! 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. Glad to see so many people over here now, I done with RWOL. heading out for 7 which will be my longest run to Date. Be back later. 

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Hi Penguins! Hope your runs are pleasant and you all stay warm (unless your climate is warm, in which case, stay cool!)

Gustav, sorry about the 5k. Post a RR anyway! 

Liz, I'm feeling a bit lost with dressing for the weather too - gonna take some experimenting, I'm generally miserable in cold weather but get really warm once I've been running for 10 minutes or so. I desperately need a couple more long-sleeved tech shirts and warm tights, have to dig out my rain pants today since the weather is supposed to be less than pleasant mid-week.

Heading out for 30 minutes sometime soonish, spending the rest of the day puttering around the house and playing Skyrim - my charming DH bought the PC version with expansion packs for me during Steam's Black Friday sale Big grin I logged an ungodly number of hours on the buggy PS3 version when it came out last year, super excited to have access to all the crazy mods on the PC! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry about your race Gustav Sad.

Jen good luck on your 13!

Jerry enjoy your 5. I love that you run with DW that's really nice.

Hey Doc hope you stay warm! I've swung and missed a few times so far in chilly temps and either been too cold or too hot.

T-Rod good luck with the running streak.

Jneilt enjoy your 15 wow that's far!

Steph- So glad to have you back!

JBlack enjoy your 7!

Lauren- good luck with your 30 mins.

AFM- Just got back from my first 5 mile run ever! And it felt amazing! Took it nice and slow. Calves held up just fine. I dressed appropriately for the chilly weather. And it was a particularly special run for me because I returned to the park by my old apartment that I used to jog/walk in when I first started wanting to learn to run outside. The loop around the park is just over 3.5 miles, and when I lived by the park I used to run/walk the loop and I always wanted to be able to run the whole way around someday. I would be able to run/jog for about 5-10 minutes at a time, then would walk about 5 minutes, and I felt like I would never be able to do it. There's a "big" hill on that loop that I used to nickname "heartbreak hill" haha because I was never able to get up it without power walking (it's not even that big). I have not been back to that park to run since I moved a few miles away from it, and didn't start running on a regular basis until I moved. Today not only did I complete the whole outer loop without power-walking or stopping once, including that hill, but I also ran an additional 2.5 miles on one of the inner loop paths! Felt awesome!

Enjoy your Sunday Penguins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Good morning, everyone!  I overslept my run this morning.  Must have needed the sleep after a busy week.  Today I need to find a dress for DD for her winter formal, then head in to work for a bit.  The plan is for 8 later, so likely on the TM.

I got to talk to my sister about running a bit while she was out.  She has completed one full marathon and several shorter races.  She isn't running atm because she's pregnant and has an old hip injury that's bothering her, but she had some good insight.  And she showed me a good piriformis stretch.  A standing one so I can even do it outside.

Gustav- Sorry to hear about your 5K!  Do you know what happened?

Jerry- Good luck running in the cold!

Doc- I hear you!  I have no idea how to dress for cold either.  Although it doesn't get that cold here.  I went with an earband when it got down into the 30's, hehe!

Jen2011 (because I think we have two "Jen"s here!)- Hope you enjoy the 13!

Tomas- Nice job on the Thanksgiving run!

Jneilt- Sounds like a Griswold family holiday!  Stay safe on the roof!

Steph- Hope your day goes well!  And classes are almost done- hooray!

Jimmy- Good luck on your 7!

Lauren- I used to play Skyrim, until I took an arrow to the knee.  Hehe, sorry.  I actually never played it but for some reason that popped into my head this morning.  I did play quite a few computer games in the past, but not so many now.  Hope  your 30 minutes goes well!

Dad on the run.

Back from my 7 miles. Going to post my splits and notice the difference between  the first 4 and the last 3. First 4 = stroller, last 3 = no stroller Smile

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 1:13:53.6 7.00 10:33
                              1 10:58.5 1.00 10:58
                              2 11:05.4 1.00 11:05
                              3 10:47.7 1.00 10:48
                              4 11:01.8 1.00 11:02
                              5 10:31.8 1.00 10:32
                              6 10:06.9 1.00 10:07
                              7 9:21.7 1.00 9:22

Run felt great. That last mile was a doozie though. I was really huffing and puffing when my watched beeped 7 miles, lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Back from my 7 miles. Going to post my splits and notice the difference between  the first 4 and the last 3. First 4 = stroller, last 3 = no stroller Smile

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 1:13:53.6 7.00 10:33
                                1 10:58.5 1.00 10:58
                                2 11:05.4 1.00 11:05
                                3 10:47.7 1.00 10:48
                                4 11:01.8 1.00 11:02
                                5 10:31.8 1.00 10:32
                                6 10:06.9 1.00 10:07
                                7 9:21.7 1.00 9:22

Run felt great. That last mile was a doozie though. I was really huffing and puffing when my watched beeped 7 miles, lol.

Couple of PR here as well. Longest run = 7 miles and my fastest 10k at 1:05 Smile. Super excited.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.