Beginners and Beyond

The Bermuda Triangle Challenge, Lily's 10th marathon (RRs and pics) (Read 205 times)

happylily

Damaris, thank you! For me to catch up with your collection of marathons, you'd have to stop running them for a while, and I don't think it will ever happen. I'm resigned to having to follow you. Smile

Basya, thank you so much! Your RR will be awesome. Take lots of pics in Israel, please! It is a place I'd love to see in the future!

fourouta, vibrams? It's asking a lot of me... :-) I think I'll stick to wet socks and blisters. Nothing against vibrams, but... they look like little frogs' slippers, or something. I saw a guy who ran the whole marathon barefoot, though! How awesome is that! Thanks a lot for your good words!

Shirfan, thank you so much!

Redrum, I looked and smelled like a wet dog, right after the race. Doesn't that say "drunken vacation"? LOL... Thanks!

Lara, thank you! Don't be jealous, you have inspired me on more than one occasion, for many reasons. Actually, I once saw a pic of your tiny butt and I got jealous too. So, we're even. :-)

Tom, thank you, my friend!

Shari, thank you! I've meaning to tell you this and never got around to doing it: you, and your DH, and your little son, you remind me of Scott, my son and myself, 10 years ago. Except you are more radiant, much kinder and much more full of life than I ever was. I see many happy years in your family's future. :-)

Ann, thank you! Please go to Bermuda! You will NOT regret it. :-)

runwell3, thank you for reading and for the compliment! I'm glad you liked the RR. :-)

Linda, thanks a lot! No, not a pro yet. Not ever. But a professional nutcase? Definitely! :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Tomas, cmb4314, Cris, iRunForBliss, Paula, Phil, Cherie, Hipfan (are you ready to freeze your butt in your upcoming race? :-)),  and paulski, thank you all, guys! I'm grateful you took the time to read, or even just look at the pictures. It closes the experience nicely for me. Thanks again for your kind words.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner, knowing that you like the shorter races, I tried detailing them as much as I could, just for you. :-) I'm sorry that I didn't give the miler the respect that it deserves. But next time I hope to do better. Thanks!

Julie, you spread out your effort over the three races very intelligently putting your greatest effort in the marathon where it belonged. I enjoyed the marathon RR as much, if not more, then the other two because of the head to head contest with the other woman.  Your pictures reminded me of my visit there many years ago. The residents are indeed some of the friendliest I've met anywhere on my travels, though I still give the nod to Newfoundlanders as the friendliest.

I was very impressed with what Scott accomplished on the little training you described. I do hope he enjoyed it enough to continue the occasional foray into races longer than 5K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Julie, you spread out your effort over the three races very intelligently putting your greatest effort in the marathon where it belonged. I enjoyed the marathon RR as much, if not more, then the other two because of the head to head contest with the other woman.  Your pictures reminded me of my visit there many years ago. The residents are indeed some of the friendliest I've met anywhere on my travels, though I still give the nod to Newfoundlanders as the friendliest.

I was very impressed with what Scott accomplished on the little training you described. I do hope he enjoyed it enough to continue the occasional foray into races longer than 5K.

Thanks, George. Scott has a 5k scheduled in May, at the Ottawa Race Weekend, but he's already saying he wants to do a half-marathon next year, for our next big destination race. He was really excited when he realized what he had done. He wants to train for it in a traditional fashion. I'm very happy for him. But I hope that my sense of competitiveness does not lead to marital problems. Big grin

I wanted to ask the lady whom I ran with in the Bahamas, the one I beat this time (in both the mile and the marathon :-)), where she was going to run next year, to help me choose my next destination race. But it woud have been cruel. Big grin

I really have to visit Newfounland... You always make it sound like it's one of the best places in the world, when to me, I think of it as a desolate and cold isand, full of lonely drunks. Big grin Maybe it's time I change my views of it.

Dreamn

Congrats!  I was there but only ran the half.  I'm in your starting line pic for the full (I recognize the back of my head, haha!)!

happylily

Congrats!  I was there but only ran the half.  I'm in your starting line pic for the full (I recognize the back of my head, haha!)!

Congratulations to you as well! That is too funny about you being in that picture! Isn't Bermuda a fabulous place to visit? I envy people who actually live there... sigh...

Just B.S.

I really have to visit Newfounland... You always make it sound like it's one of the best places in the world, when to me, I think of it as a desolate and cold isand, full of lonely drunks. Big grin Maybe it's time I change my views of it.

Julie, I have never visited either and it's on my list of places to visit someday (and I"m  a lot closer than

you). With a marathon incorporated of course!

Plenty of Newfies living here though and I can safey say that there is no such thing as a Newfie who is

lonely when drinking!LOL They are just about the funniest people on earth and it gets even better

when they drink.Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Julie, I have never visited either and it's on my list of places to visit someday (and I"m  a lot closer than

you). With a marathon incorporated of course!

Plenty of Newfies living here though and I can safey say that there is no such thing as a Newfie who is

lonely when drinking!LOL They are just about the funniest people on earth and it gets even better

when they drink.Big grin

St John's, not to be confused with St John, NB, has a marathon on Sep 22. I doubt that would fit your schedule this year, but choosing between NL and Ireland would be a tough choice. So I'm going to Ireland in March. We'll see about NL later. I want to get back to Gros Morne NP.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Just B.S.

St John's, not to be confused with St John, NB, has a marathon on Sep 22.

Actually George it's "Saint John"  NB.     I'm pretty sure I would know!Big grin

NFLD is one of those weird "thing" for us........we are close enough to go anytime we wanted. It certainly

would be a "major" trip for us, people say it's beautiful, but we have just never gotten around to going.

happylily

I have enough Airmiles to fly to Newfounland. I'm in for an FE with you, Beth and George, for a September race, whether 2013 or later. I'll save my airmiles just in case. Smile

Beth, I know that Newfies are very funny and smart. Rick Mercer is one of my favorite TV host. Big grin

Just B.S.

I have enough Airmiles to fly to Newfounland. I'm in for an FE with you, Beth and George, for a September race, whether 2013 or later. I'll save my airmiles just in case. Smile

Beth, I know that Newfies are very funny and smart. Rick Mercer is one of my favorite TV host. Big grin

Sorry, not this year. We leave for Ireland on Sept 25th! Maybe 2014. I'll see if I can

get the locals interested in that one. Group travel means cheaper rates!Big grin

I am obsess with Rick Mercer. True Story.

happylily

Sorry, not this year. We leave for Ireland on Sept 25th! Maybe 2014. I'll see if I can

get the locals interested in that one. Group travel means cheaper rates!Big grin

I am obsess with Rick Mercer. True Story.

Of course, I forgot about your trip to Ireland! And George's too. I am SOOO jealous!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We're thinking along the same lines, though I was thinking more of an FE in Bermuda next year. Of course there's always Ottawa Race Weekend.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Just B.S.

We're thinking along the same lines, though I was thinking more of an FE in Bermuda next year. Of course there's always Ottawa Race Weekend.

Bermuda is fantastic but we've been there twice already. Time for new things.

Ottawa 13.1 is a possibilty for this year however I haven't put in on the calendar yet as our son may be working

elsewhere this summer and no sense going if he is not there to visit. That is always my primary motivation for

going to Ottawa.

But the Full in Ottawa for 2014 is a definite for us. I could only do the 1/2 last spring because i was still

recouping from surgery. I was jealous that hubby got to do the full and I didn't!Smile

happylily

Scott and I will be in Ottawa in May. And so will Beth and her DH, I believe. You should come too! If not, Bermuda next year. I never say no to an escape from winter, even if it's just for a few days. Smile We also got a great rate for our five days there for that time of the year, because it's not the warmest period, and not spring break. Less tourists meant that it was more pleasant to visit different areas. More relaxed overall.