Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins need therapy!! (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It seems it's World Physical Therapy Day.  As runners, we probably spend more time in PT than the average person, so if you've done PT, holla back!!

Chorus rehearsal tonight, and it's my Thriday.  I'm taking tomorrow off to make a cheesecake for a chorus party on Saturday.  It's a regular cheesecake, then a chocolate mousse layer on top, then a chocolate ganache layer on top of that.  It sounds ambitious, so I hope it turns out ok!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - definitely an ambitious project.  Have fun with it.  Nice that you can take a short week and make it shorter.

I only met with a PT once, asking for some exercises to help me deal with the hamstring issue. They helped.  DH had good luck with his PT and his ongoing knee/ITB problem.  Unfortunately, if you don't continue the exercises, the benefit goes away.

Another hot day here, so I'll be back on the TM for 5 or 6 miles. A funny thing happened yesterday when I was running.  DH's phone had a low battery so it was chirping.  The dog goes nuts when he hears the sound of either the phone or smoke detectors chirping. So all of a sudden, he comes barreling into the basement and tries to run between my legs, on the TM, backwards.  He went flying.  Then he raced upstairs to where the phone was making noise, then came running back down and did it again. Wham, same result. Ben was tossed off the machine (and I was holding on for dear life!). I headed upstairs and put the phone on the charger, while he ran around the house, trying to dig his way through the walls, the shower and the garage door to get at the noisy chirper. Oddly enough, at 4 a.m. the smoke alarm began to chirp and he went nuts again, this time jumping up on the bed and across the bedside table. After we disconnected the alarms, it took about 1/2 hour before he calmed down.  Yikes.

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, such a rough day for your poor puppy!!

Dusty will howl at the theme songs for a couple of different TV shows.  DH has been known to play the theme for Shaun the Sheep, just to torture him.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, I also go nuts when the smoke/CO2 detectors chirp and I can't figure out which one it is.

HsM, I went to Athletico PT once for a free evaluation.  They gave me some exercises and it helped.

5.9 sweaty run/walk miles in the forest preserve.  Thankfully, a few sprinkles kept the cyclists off the trail.  Wimps !!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I once did 3 months of PT for my shoulder after falling down an entire flight of subway stairs.  I landed with my arm out and couldn't raise my arm or lift anything.  I was also having some trouble walking, but I could walk through the pain while I couldn't really move my arm with the pain.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I herniated a disk in my spine during that fall.  All of the NSAIDs and bumming around let my spine get unpissed off.  I took up running after that fall because I couldn't do distance cycling anymore -- though my shoulder is mostly healed, being on my road bike for extended time (say more than 20 miles) isn't comfortable.  Anyway, I probably should do a whole bunch more PT for my spine, but I don't because our insurance is shitty.

I'll run in a bit on the TM.  I should have run this morning to avoid the heat, but DH didn't get home from the office until 1:30am and so I didn't sleep well and didn't feel like running when I woke up.  My dog gets wigged out when my husband isn't home by like 10pm and bugs me so I'm unable to sleep when he works late.

HsM - that cheesecake sounds amazing... cheesecake was one of my favorite foods back in the day.

Ginny - sorry your dog is a pain, I think loud noises really freak them out.  How is he with thunderstorms and fireworks?

Jerry - glad you had a nice run :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Jill - the weird thing is the chirp isn't a very loud noise.  I think it sounds like a chipmunk to him, and he is desperate to find it. Ben doesn't do well with fireworks. This year on 4 July we were in a campground in Valdez, AK where the fireworks began around 2 pm and continued until 2 am.  He was okay for the quieter ones, but the really loud bangs upset him badly. He tried to dig his way through the walls and there was nothing we could do to calm him down.  Since we were already 4 miles outside of town, we didn't know where we could go to be away from the noise.  Besides, we kept thinking it would stop.

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  Spent all day on a "team building" workshop that was BS because the two people that are the problem did not attend this mandatory meeting. Whatever.  Lifted weights and ran 5.

HopesMom, hope you're enjoying the rehearsal.

Ginny, hope the TM worked for you.

Jerry, nice run.

Jill, I didn't know you could avoid the heat in the morning (seriously, at least here it's always 90+ 24/7 without any cooling down.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page