Beginners and Beyond

Week 16 Penguins appreciate fine art!! (04/14-04/20) (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is World Art Day, along with the Boston Marathon, Tax Day, and Take a Wild Guess Day.  I heard a story about an art teacher who had her students go to a gallery, choose a painting, and write an essay on how it impacted them.  The kicker was that they had to spend a minimum of three hours looking at the painting.

I dunno, maybe even I could find meaning in three hours!

Had a meeting scheduled this morning at 10.  One guy showed up at 9:30.  At 10:10 I emailed the other two guys to find out where they were.  Turns out I had scheduled the meeting at 10:30. 

Clearly this is going to be a Monday.  But hey, I'm only working today and tomorrow, then I have a week off!!  I suspect I'll be working from home for a bit, to get some things done, but that's ok.

I made my Easter cheesecake over the weekend.  Bailey's, and then I'll put a chocolate ganache on top.  But it occurred to me that I will also need to make a cheesecake for the chorus Installation Dinner, which is the 25th.  I think I'll be doing that on Tuesday, which is the last day of my vacation.  And then Cheesecake Season should be over until Thanksgiving!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I survived my first post baby half yesterday. I was pretty undertrained and not ready for the humidity. I’m thinking about signing up for another one in two months. To be determined. I got a side stitch around mile 4.5 and it did not go away :-(

Rest day today but back to running tomorrow.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, "survived" is usually my C goal, so congrats!!

I told my director about A, B, and C goals before contest.  Our C goal was "nobody pukes, nobody passes out."  B was "put on stage what we do in rehearsal".  A was "get a B-".  Well, at least we hit C!!

Do you know why sopranos make good pirates?  Because they always hit the high C's!!

I may be a little loopy with the craziness ...

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  In court today, and have 5 tonight.

HopesMom, such a busy Monday, ha.  Art, Boston, Taxes...

Jill, congrats on the race!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

My gosh, this has been the craziest day!  Too many things all trying to get done at the same time.

And meanwhile, the cathedral at Notre Dame is burning. 

Docket_Rocket

So sad, they don't expect anything will be left. Sad

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

My hubby just yelled up to me that they seem to have managed to save the pipe organ at Notre Dame, and some of the windows (although tragically NOT the rose window, that is gone gone gone).

I'm glad I got to see the Cathedral during my lifetime, sad that it should have burned during it too.

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, today is my ... TuFriday?  Anyway, tomorrow starts my own personal Spring Break.  I'm using one of my 7 weeks of accrued vacation, can't wait!!  Lots to do today before I go, though.  Yoga and biking done, now I have to dive once more into the fray.

Someone start the Penguin thread on Monday, ok?  If not, I'll be back next Wednesday!

Docket_Rocket

I'll try to remember, hopesMom!!!!  Enjoy your Spring Break!

Jill, they are now listed as unknown so some people say the Rose Window was saved, others say it wasn't.  Time will tell...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I jogged an easy mile yesterday. This morning I woke up will sever allergies so I didn’t make it out. Hopefully Claritin kicks in and I feel better for tomorrow.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Did barely anything this morning. 0.6 miles. I felt like crap but told myself I’d go a couple of blocks and if I still felt awful I could head home. I headed home.

GinnyinPA

Jill - everything is blooming here, so my allergies have been bad when I've been running. Tonight's rains should lower the pollen levels for a day or so.

Ran Wednesday and Thursday, 5 and 7, bike today. I'm trying to do more cross training and exercises to rehab the legs. Both runs I was good for about half the run.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Went to Pilates and ran 4 last night, Pilates and 5 tonight.  You can tell I'm tapering when I ran those short runs.  love it. lol

Hope everybody has a great Easter weekend.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I did an “open run” at a local park today. I think I finished last of the women who ran the entire distance but at least I got out there. It gives me something to improve on every week since it is the same route and it is free. I am contemplating doing another half in mid June. I think I’ll start training and see how it goes. I’m disappointed with how I did last week so I’d like to train better and seek redemption.